• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex AD Stock

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This chap explains the situation re Watches of Switzerland. He drones on a bit mind you. Also the first 30 seconds of shite music is hardly necessary.
https://youtu.be/xlrcEEIhyis

Drones on a bit ? An expert lesson on how to turn a moderately interesting subject into one that puts you in a coma.

limiting availability increases the aura of exclusivity - if rocking horse shit wasn't so freely available it would be worth huge sums of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: stufuse

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
'Drones on a bit'. You have to remember I'm English. The masters of sarcasm and understatement.

And very little else...

Reactions: xray7 and stufuse

Jyuuken

Horology Curious
7/1/20
The BLNR, BLRO, SS Daytona, and Hulk are impossible right now from an AD without a significant wait. Everything else is much more readily available so long as the AD isn’t playing the usual games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

less than a year if you are lucky

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
So, I've been on a hunt for a no-date for a year now. Because of my work, I've travelled a bit last year. Here's my report:
1. Boston: no SS models available; won't take your name on a waiting list.
2. NYC: no SS models available; won't take your name on a waiting list; 116618 available at a multi-brand store in front of the official rolex dealership.
3. London: no SS models available for regular folks; if you are a regular customer with an established record; submariner date/no-date you need to wait approx. 3 months; same story in most dealerships, including the airports.
4. Panama: 3 months waiting time (at the airport) for a 116610ln
5. Mexico City, Guadalajara & Monterrey -> 116610ln; 116040; 116619, & some daytonas (not an expert here) available.
6. Moscow (GUM) -> 116619 & 116618 available; 116610ln available next month
7. Warsaw -> 116040 available; 116610ln 1.5 year waiting time; Milgauss available;
8. Paris (CDG airport) -> unavailable; only datejusts
9. Copenhagen -> unavailable
10. Brussels -> unavailable; won't take your name on a waiting list

Hope this helps!
M.

Reactions: stufuse

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
Looks like Go to Moscow then .....

Love Rolex, Omega and Tudor.
Based in UK

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
It has only gotten worse over the last half year.. In 'these days' you really need to build a relationship with an AD or get extremely lucky. My local Rolex AD (small city 80k population) carry more models in their window than any of the major big AD's in bigger cities.

Besides what is offered in the window they have a good amount of stock in their safe in the back, but only for showcasing if they know you already, otherwise it's the good ol' "what we have in the window is what we have available" - although it of course isn't. Big chains like Wempe/Bucherer get new stock from Rolex WEEKLY, but good luck reserving anything if you're just a walk-in.

Reactions: rabl253

liveralone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/9/19
US
Even if the AD had an SS in stock, chances are, they would not put a highly in demand watch out in the display case.

This is just my experience in South Florida. The way to play the game is to settle on an AD, and settle on a sales professional. Start a relationship. Visit often. Buy a watch or two. Or a piece of jewelry. It doesn't have to be something super expensive, but its a way to build the relationship and gets the sales person to put a face to a name. Once you are on good terms, you can request an in demand piece. Last year, I got a black dial 116500 and a 114060. I was on the Daytona waitlist for about 9 months. I was on the Submariner waitlist for about 3 months. They're out there, but they just choose who to give them to because supply is limited. My AD here is actually trying not to give the watches to flippers, so that even adds more time to first time customers, who do not have a relationship established. This year I am slated to get the Pepsi or Batman, and the Hulk. Again, I will still wait a bit, but I will get the watch.

Hope that helps.

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
Hope that helps.

What are you going to do with the jewelry and watches you bought to "build a reputation with your AD?"

I don't understand people who refuse to pay gray market prices but will instead pay for 2 extra datejusts. Not saying that's you specifically, but what, are you going to try to flip the datejust on chrono24 now? It's one thing if you would have bought the datejust anyways but if you didn't want the datejust too, I don't see this as a practical viable strategy

liveralone

22/9/19
US
What are you going to do with the jewelry and watches you bought to "build a reputation with your AD?"

I don't understand people who refuse to pay gray market prices but will instead pay for 2 extra datejusts. Not saying that's you specifically, but what, are you going to try to flip the datejust on chrono24 now? It's one thing if you would have bought the datejust anyways but if you didn't want the datejust too, I don't see this as a practical viable strategy

Why do you assumed I purchased a Datejust, lol?

I bought myself a 116613LB as my first purchase from them. It happened to be in the display case when I was picking up my 16570 from service. From there, I purchased my mom a a non-Rolex watch for her birthday, and also my wife a non-Rolex watch for her birthday. I could have bought both of those cheaper online. But I chose to buy from the AD and start a relationship. That is all I purchased rom them. The next watch was a call for my 116500. Followed by the 114060.

I wasn't conned into buying anything I needed to resell, just to make the AD happy. They were genuine purchases I would have / could have made elsewhere. You have to also think, you walking in off the street, and the AD handing you an in-demand SS model, is like giving a stranger money. It is a sad situation, but at the same time, it is the reality we are in. If you want those in-demand watches in this climate, you will need to start a relationship.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17

I bought myself a 116613LB as my first purchase from them. It happened to be in the display case when I was picking up my 16570 from service. From there, I purchased my mom a a non-Rolex watch for her birthday, and also my wife a non-Rolex watch for her birthday. I could have bought both of those cheaper online. But I chose to buy from the AD and start a relationship. That is all I purchased rom them. The next watch was a call for my 116500. Followed by the 114060.

I wasn't conned into buying anything I needed to resell, just to make the AD happy. They were genuine purchases I would have / could have made elsewhere. You have to also think, you walking in off the street, and the AD handing you an in-demand SS model, is like giving a stranger money. It is a sad situation, but at the same time, it is the reality we are in. If you want those in-demand watches in this climate, you will need to start a relationship.

Your words and technique are sensible given your aim - but what a fucked up situation to have to be in in order to buy a machine made, mass produced toy.

I'll stick to reps.

liveralone

22/9/19
US
Your words and technique are sensible given your aim - but what a fucked up situation to have to be in in order to buy a machine made, mass produced toy.

I'll stick to reps.

Completely agree with you. It sucks for people who have been Rolex enthusiasts for a long time, and just want to enjoy wearing and owning their timepieces.

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19

Yeah, that's fair enough. Datejusts and ladies watches seem to be the common thing people buy to build up the relationship, wasn't saying you specifically.

There's some marginal delta here that's measurable, I think it would be interesting if someone could build up the data points to show and compare the difference in cost between "building up a relationship" and going gray market. I think it would be interesting to see how different those two markups are - is the gray market efficiently meeting demand, or is it still cheaper to "build up a relationship?" and then would publishing such data cause the two prices to converge

market inefficiencies!