• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

KELTON and/or TIMEX Divers Club ???

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
About a month ago I just fell in love with a nice'n cheap vintage "diver".
It is a KELTON "Rallye", 25m water-resistant and with a rotating bezel.

Since that moment I have discovered that both KELTON and TIMEX had produced almost the same models ... same cases, same movements, same dials ... only the branding on the dials and casebacks were different.
And both brand have offered many variations of the same watch, changing only the dials, bezels and bracelets.
This week I received another one and I'm waiting for the third next week.

Next Week-End I'll take some pics of the two I already have and I'll write a review.
I hope you'll like it and that some members will join and post here.

Reactions: Bart Cordell

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Well ... only 10 views in 8 days :(
I know that those KELTON/TIMEX are not high-end watches and not Repped but they are nice mechanical watches nevertheless so I really hoped that some members could be interested.
But I'm patient and I'll take my chance again posting about the first functionnal item of that new collection.

MKT01 - 28mm Ladies "Yachting" Date - circa 1970:

BTW ... MKT01 means "Manodeoro's Kelton/Timex number 01" ;)

I received that little thing just a few days ago and quickly stripped it off because I wanted it to be full functionning for yesterday night.
We were invited to a "70ies in Roma" party and my wife had bought a new "vintage yachting style" dancing dress with which I thought that little watch would fit perfectly (and it did).

The watch came in complete with the original cream color "Tropic" bracelet and red color "Yachting Countdown" bezel.
So I just had to polish the plexi and case (which is chrome) and blow some air in the movement to get almost done.

K01.jpg

Then I let the bracelet soak in a DIY soft cleaning solution (white vinegar + some drops washing liquid + lukewarm water) for the night.
In the following morning I rinsed it and washed it with an old toothbrush and some toothpaste.

While putting everything together the bezel unfortunately cracked between the 40 and 50 marks.
Something not really surprising about a 48 years old cheap plastic bezel and I consider being happy that it is still in only 1 piece though cracked.
I decided that I would later search for a way to repair it but I wanted it to be on the watch for yesterday night, so I just tacked it on with some thin but strong double sided tape.

So here are the final pics.

K02.jpg

K03.jpg

While preparing for the party my wife just took her "Valentine's DaYtejust" (with recently upgraded engine turned bezel and jubilee endlinks) but I showed her the MKT01.
She fell in love with it in a blink and decided that it was THE watch to wear with her new dancing dress ... plus it is worry free (got it for US$10) and she likes that when she twirls while rockin' n' rollin'.

AFTERWORD :
The party was great and we came back home between 3:00AM and 3:30AM :p ...
My watch just showed 3:30 but my wife's MKT01 showed only 3:00AM so it was about 30 minutes late after only 8 hours.
I'm afraid I will have to open it again to service and regulate the movement but it still is a really nice watch.

Reactions: Bart Cordell

ILuvTheCLock

Known Member
23/7/17
quality not quantity views :) I didn't say anything, but my nephews name is Kelton lol. So I went to the bay and ordered one! It hasn't arrived yet. But here is a pic I pulled (I think it looks bad @$$)
dWWao2g.jpg

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
ILuvTheCLock thanks for visiting my new founded Club ... I'm glad to announce that we are 2 members now :p
and a great Kelton too so I'm waiting for your pics.

This week-end I'll clean up the "Rallye" one, try make some good views and post them here (still "quality not quantity" though I'm not really good at shooting pics).
Technically the "Rallye" is the first of my new collection but it will be called MKT02 as the 28mm "Yachting" has been the first to be cleaned, serviced and worn on the wrist.
Plus the MKT01, being a ladies watch, will receive the precedence.

MKT01 ... Queen of the MKT watches
In the Land of Mano where the Shadows lie
One Watch to rule them all, One Watch to find them,
One Watch to bring them all and in the darkness bind them :rofl:

NCRich my friend ... I know for sure that you have developped some great black magic powers on Timex watches, so why dont you join us ?

Reactions: ILuvTheCLock

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
I don't know about black magic. But I know how to "service" them. Pretty easy. I don't have a diver, just this one.

IN5cIZO.jpg

Reactions: ILuvTheCLock

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I don't know about black magic. But I know how to "service" them. Pretty easy. I don't have a diver, just this one.

IN5cIZO.jpg

No black magic ? are you 100% certain ?
A full "pot" of dishwashing soap, water, ammonia and Ronsol lighter fluid mixed together sounds like black magic IMHO :p or maybe I skipped something ?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
MKT02 - 36mm "Rallye" Date - 1975:

So here is, as already said, the first Kelton of my Collection but the second one refurbished.

What is specific with this one is that it is a "full set".
I got it with the original box and the garanty certificate.
That is why I can attest that that watch is from 1975 (though it can also be read on the dial).

Notm uch to add to that.
This WE I did some plexi and case polishing.
I also cleaned the bracelet (original) and resized the bracelet so that today that little wonder is on my wrist.
The datewheel is not working very well but the watch keeps good time.
I'll wear it for some days then I'll proceed to a complete service of the movement so that the date can change easily.

And now ... PICS

uJyOy1g.jpg

msjqVOY.jpg

nnPhmw3.jpg

1DJWShw.jpg

OAOWqaz.jpg

ILuvTheCLock

Known Member
23/7/17
Here it is!!! This is before I have polished or cleaned the crystal :) The starting point. I have been watching the movement, and it is performing good, although a little fast. I would like to research the movement, and eventually service it. It feels like it could use some TLC, but it makes me smile :)
keltonwatch1.jpg

keltonwatch1a.jpg