• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Kickstarter Watches

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I have been noticing a lot of new watch models on Kickstarter and a number of other capital raising sites -- what are your all's experience with them?

I bought this Lenvino Tourbillon a few months ago and am pretty excited about it:
q486iyG.jpg

But I'm also intrigued by these:

DnwUmjP.jpg

OcbqNyf.jpg

jdNiyR3.jpg

mipDMYW.jpg

Interested to hear your thoughts and maybe bringing up some models I haven't seen. This is a funny parallel to reps in my mind -- cheaper movements with obvious homage DNA but without the stigma of the Dark Side ...

Reactions: nbp

christobear

22/10/15
I liked that MAEN when I first saw it. Helgray has some cool ones too. But most of them that I see I don’t like, especially the overload of minimalist ones that all have the same case and basically the same dial

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Ko67

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Often they are way overpriced and cheap compared to 150-300 dollar reps.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
^^ I've found that to be the case as well. I also find it hard that people plunking down $500-2,500 to be first in line for a new release of an Asian movement watch aren't more into reps. Maybe they are and I just don't see it.

Its nice to seem some new ideas out there and while most aren't worth chasing, I've found it to be about as entertaining watching these new releases as dissecting the latest offerings from rep TD's ...

Reactions: Tigerdragon

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I’ve looked at the Maen and really like them. However, they look like 90% of the watches I already have. The Swiis ETA is cool.

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Nice looking tourbillon. I thought it hilarious that they used a quote from a sister rep forum in their pitch:
2e29f1bc8b6cf1d7f28bcc9a334ebdaf.jpg

Possible one of our own is floating this venture?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I hadn’t seen that — that’s hilarious hahaha. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a proprietor of a rep factory — a venture like this might afford some protection from the everpresent raidy raiding raiders??

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
I hadn’t seen that — that’s hilarious hahaha. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a proprietor of a rep factory — a venture like this might afford some protection from the everpresent raidy raiding raiders??

That would be my conjecture too. Despite what the uninitiated think, we know reps and gens share common sources.

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA

That's a good idea for a cover.

kzaman

17/12/15
A lot of them do have a very homage vibe. But there are some pretty interesting pieces.
Helgray comes to mind.