• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first gen - thoughts??

RobLive7

Known Member
28/10/15
Sydney, Australia
Picked up my first gen Rolex from eBay
2009 Datejust 36
I'm told this is a "tuxedo" dial, but I think it's also known as the "bullseye".
It's currently undergoing an overhaul service -
I miss having it on my wrist :/

xYnWo3Q.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Not a tuxedo dial.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You sure thats a gen? The build quality seems questionable?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's around 50 years old and has obviously been worn a lot ? - being old and being worn a lot has nothing to do with 'build quality.'

Reactions: brane and RobLive7

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's around 50 years old and has obviously been worn a lot ? - being old and being worn a lot has nothing to do with 'build quality.'

+1

come on give repmania a chance haha, I mean he is repmania :D

Reactions: RobLive7

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
OP - i think your first gen is a beauty! Keep us updated about how it looks after the service (maybe you are planning getting it polished/brushed)...

Otherwise wear it in good health! Suits your wrist very well!

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Looks great! In my opinion you picked a classic that will never go out of style. I would go so far as to say don’t polish it. Honest wear looks great on a datejust. Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

RobLive7

Known Member
28/10/15
Sydney, Australia
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I ended up taking it to a reputable watchmaker in the Sydney CBD (not the Rolex service SC) and they were 100% sure it was genuine.
I decided to go with an "overhaul" service.
I asked about wether the the polishing would affect the shape of the watch and the watchmaker replied that they would preserve the Rolex shape above all else, and that it was more important than removing every last scratch, which gave me confidence leaving my watch with them.
They said the estimated turnaround was 6 weeks (because they were quite busy) - but that was almost 6 weeks ago so I'm expecting a call soon.
I was actually thinking about putting it on a black leather band. Maybe I'm crazy but I thought it might add some versatility.
I'll post pics once I have them.

repmania

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/4/18
United Kingdom

It's a 2009 watch and NOT 50 years old. Anyway sorry to offend it was just a general comment I did not mean to offend. Jeez you guys on there are harsh man!

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
It's a 2009 watch and NOT 50 years old. Anyway sorry to offend it was just a general comment I did not mean to offend. Jeez you guys on there are harsh man!

Grow some skin or you won't survive on here.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

You're right, I wasn't paying attention, it's a more recent model. Doesn't really explain the logic behind your comment though.

repmania

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
19/4/18
United Kingdom
You're right, I wasn't paying attention, it's a more recent model. Doesn't really explain the logic behind your comment though.

What logic are you looking for...it looked like a rep to me and not to you so not sure what logic you need...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
What logic are you looking for...it looked like a rep to me and not to you so not sure what logic you need...

So for you scratches = rep.

Got it.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I grow new skin every couple of weeks.....perks of the career I am in...

Expect a mental breakdown because of this forum every couple of weeks then. As soon as your skin has adapted to here, you'll lay it off again. Surely will be a pain.

Reactions: MonsieurMax