This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand Onwership, Who Owns What Company?

I think it is difficult for people to wrap their minds around the many groups who own dozens of popular watches. You dont realize it until you start looking at movements and parts, etc.. and then it starts to become more obvious.

Only the real nerds might find this handy but I have seen a couple questions lately that led to typing this out from watchtime.

One thing that has baffled me after reading who owns who is that I have been told by many people that Wittnauer was made by the same company as Movado... and this simply is not true.

Swatch Group (Switzerland)
    Breguet
    Blancpain
    Glasshutte Original
    Union Glashutte
    Tiffany & Co.
    Jaquet Droz
    Leon Hatot
    Omega
    Longines
    Rado (seanf's favorite)
    Tissot
    CK/Calvin Klein
    Balmain
    Hamilton
    Certina
    Mido
    Swatch

Richemont Group (Switzerland)
    Cartier
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Piaget
    A. Lange & Sohne
    Vacheron Constantin
    Jager-LeCoultre
    Officine Panerai
    IWC Schaffhausen
    Roger Dubuis
    Baume & Mercier
    Montblanc
    Dunhill
    Ralph Lauren Watches

LVMH Group (France)
    Tag Heuer
    Zenith
    Hublot
    Dior
    Fred
    Chaumet
    Louis Vuitton

Movado Group (USA)
    Ebel
    Concord
    Movado
    ESQ Swiss
    Coach
    Hugo Boss
    Juicy Couture
    Tommy Hilfiger
    Lacoste

Franck Muller Group (Switzerland)
    Frank Muller
    Martin Braun
    Pierre Kunz
    European Company Watch
    Rodolphe
    Barthelay
    Backes and Strauss

Bulgari Group (Italy)
    Bulgari
    Daniel Roth
    Gerald Genta

PPR Group (France)
    Gucci
    Bedat & Co.
    Boucheron
    Yves Saint Laurent

Timex Group (USA)
    Vincent Berard
    TX
    Timex
    Guess
    Nautica
    Versace
    Salvatore Ferragamo
    Valentino
    Marc Ecko
    Opex

Festina Group (Spain)
    Perrelet
    L. Leroy
    Candino
    Festina
    Lotus
    Jaguar
    Calypso

Seiko Watch Corp. (Japan)
    Grand Seiko
    Credor
    Seiko
    Pulsar
    Lorus
    Alba

Citizen Group (Japan)
    Campanola
    Citzen
    Q&Q
    Accutron
    Wittnauer (why do people say it is the same company as Movado??)
    Bulova
    Caravelle
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Harley Davidsen

Binda Group (Italy)
    Wyler Geneve
    Breil Milano
    D&G
    Moschino
    Ducati
    Freestyle
    Kenneth Cole
    Tommy Bahama
    Speedo
    Mexx
    THE FORUM IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!

Guanaco on 4chan... "It's like putting a few puppies and a few butterflies with some rose petals into a blender and pushing the 'puree' button while videotaping it"

yeah, very intresting grouping.

i could never understand why people like Rado....

a $25 quartz movement ( mostly ) in $ 50 watch....that screams : GAY !

all that for only 1500 $

is that true sean ? you hate Panerai's and love Rados ?
    "The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in sideways,
    totally worn out, shouting :

'Holy S h i t, What a Ride !!!"

(Mavis Leyrer)

======================

Comment

Does anyone know how many of those companies use ETA movements? Is it just those within the Swatch group and if so is there anyone else for all of those outside of it.

It strikes me as strange that we seem to lust after the ETA movements and apart from Seagull/Lemania that all other movements seem second class.

Comment

man, nobody makes their own watch except rolex? my goodness!! :shock:
        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

"say hello to my little friend"

Comment

Originally posted by hk45ca
          ...and don't forget Limes.
          "Big hitter, the Lama. How about a Fresca? Gunga la Gunga"

Comment

Originally posted by horologie_unitas
            yeah, very intresting grouping.

i could never understand why people like Rado....

a $25 quartz movement ( mostly ) in $ 50 watch....that screams : GAY !

all that for only 1500 $

is that true sean ? you hate Panerai's and love Rados ?
            Half true. I hate most PAMs. I don't particularly like or dislike Rado, but at least with Rado, not every single watch they make looks exactly the same, ala PAM.
            Any advice for those just starting to get into replica collecting?
            Yes. Stay away. Stay very far way. Use your money on something more productive and less addictive like, say, blow, midgets and hookers.

Say it with me! Say it loud! Say it proud! Say it so google picks up the search terms!! Replica Watch Forum!! Replica Watch Forum!! Replica Watch Forum!!!

Seanf: "To whomever keeps putting homoerotic subtextual images on my James Bond avatars, fair warning. I will hunt you down and straight up murder you."

Comment

Why did you tell wvwryone this? Now they will know that the people who make their 10k watches are the same ones who make hteir Wal-Mart watch.
              Noobs! Look here before you buy!

Replica Watch Scam Dealer List
              --------------------

People will assume your gen is a fake before they presume your fake is a gen...if they care at all.

Comment

Originally posted by hk45ca
                I don't see Breitling in the list either.... unless it was just missed - since they use ETA's in most watches, I thought they were probably owned by swatch - can't find any info though...

Comment

they do use a eta base for their movements but they are not owned by another company to the best of my knowledge. since eta is going stop supplying other companies with their movements breitling is currently working on their own.
                  The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

"say hello to my little friend"

Comment

LVMH Group (France)
                    Tag Heuer
                    Zenith
                    Hublot
                    Dior
                    Fred
                    Chaumet
                    Louis Vuitton

some additions to Louis Vitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH). I know they are not watch related, but from my industry.

Moet Chapagnes
                    Dom Perignon
                    Krug
                    Domaine Chandon
                    Veuve Cliquot
                    Ruinart
                    Hennessy Cognac
                    Belvedere Vodka
                    Chopin Vodka
                    Glenmorangie Scotch
                    10 Cane Rum
                    It's ok to lose it once in awhile, it reminds others that we are human.

Comment

very interesting info. I wonder what breitling is doing for movement design.. i can see some monster price increases in their future. maybe they will start using Asian ETA copy movements? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dizzy
                        very interesting info. I wonder what breitling is doing for movement design.. i can see some monster price increases in their future. maybe they will start using Asian ETA copy movements? lol
                        They have come out with the Bentley GMT which I think might be in house, with how complicated it is. Lets get the rep of it soon!

Comment

Breitling is not a part of an ownership group.

Rolex is the same... well..with the exception that it is owned by The Wilsdorf Foundation.

That is why I did not list them.
                          THE FORUM IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!

Guanaco on 4chan... "It's like putting a few puppies and a few butterflies with some rose petals into a blender and pushing the 'puree' button while videotaping it"

Comment

it is important to remember that just because they are owed by another company, does not actually mean they are all being built by the same people in the same factories.

i am sure there could be some integration from time to time due to costs, but i am sure they all stay true to their brand. at least the higher end watches. well, one would like to think so......

Comment

I always thought Hamilton was an American company. I feel like a Harley owner who just found most of his bike parts are made in Japan...
                              My rep collection: PAM 111, IWC 3717, IWC Ingy Chrono, VC Malte Chrono, Cartier Pasha Seatimer
                              Likely next purchase: Rolex GMT IIc, PAM 115 (or other destro PAMs)

Comment

Working...
                              X