• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why are Rolex Submariner prices rising so fast lately??

Bostonlou22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/12/16
I’m sorry if this has already been asked but has anyone else noticed that submariners that could have easily been found for $4,000-$4800 last winter are now costing $5000-$6000??

I’m talking models like the 16800 and 16610 and their no date counterparts. I know the prices slowly rise but I feel like there’s been a steep rise lately. Is this some kind of bubble or are prices permanently stuck up here?

Sent from the RWI App

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
It can cause new people to get attracted to the watch and make a higher demand and in result an elevation of the price. Imo

Sent from the RWI App

joesetx

Known Member
19/4/14
I noticed the same thing. The gen Submariner I bought two years ago is now going for a grand more.

Doesn't matter to me. It's just a number. I'm never selling mine.

D

d4m.test

I'm guessing that a look at what the stock market has done for the last 6-7 years may have something to do with it, it certainly has caused me to look at some luxury items that I wouldn't otherwise. Supply and demand.

Mike Page

23/6/15
Rolex are limiting supply as with all 'in demand' SS pieces . The Greys are taking the piss with asking prices especially now it's Holiday Season .

2017 Hulk in the UK at £9250 and £9500 lol

MagDump

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/1/16
There's a lot of authenticity promised online retailers dealing second hand and financing available now. I'll bet it's driving up second hand market as pawn shops are not as aligned to millennial as online.

On a other note... this is precisely the reason I'm looking for a gen 6 digit Hulk...I wonder if it will continue to appreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

d4m.test

the hulk has gone up 1.5k in the last 2 months in the uk, rumours of it being discontinued and a price rise next year, i have been unable to get on a waiting list for one as they have been closed, so has driven the price up

Amorist

Horology Curious
13/2/18
There seems to be a shortage of stainless steel models being produced by Rolex currently. This has caused all models to go up in price including the 5-digit models.

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
Some think that GMT and SubC are being phased out... I doubt that this can happen at the same year, maybe new Sub with thinner lugs and 3235mvmt will be launched during this Basel??

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
The market in the UK has become ridiculous and it’s at its worst in London.

I’ve been into 7 AD’s in London and all their waiting lists are closed.

I’ve contacted 20+ AD’s outside of London and none will put me on a list, some say it’s closed due to demand and others have told me they won’t due to where I’m living and put me in contact with a more local branch.

I have a fairly good relationship with a big AD in London and they tell me demand is at its highest and the supply from Rolex (for steel sports models) is slowing down.

High demand could be due to all time highs on the stock exchange and lots of new young wealth coming from crypto.

But I bet a lot to do is also people seeing grey market prices and thinking they can make easy money.

If you did manage to buy a hulk from an AD in London you could flip it same day and make £2.5k, same with SD same and even more with a Daytona.

I know AD’s are removing stickers to deter flippers and I just saw Frederico on YouTube talking about stories of AD’s holding onto warranty cards for a few months after purchase for the same reason.

Why is the supply from Rolex slowing?

No one knows, Rolex keep secrets very well.

Will the 116610 be discontinued at Basel? Maybe.

Are they just going to stick the new updated
3235 Movement in?
I would say more likely.

I guess we just need to wait and see.

All I know is that if any EU members have a hulk for sale look no further and remember the no profiteering rule :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joes

I'm Pretty Popular
2/1/15
The shortage of ss sports models has been well documented for some time on TRF. I have 5 and 6 digit subs and both selling for 1k more than I paid pre owned. So much speculation about why but that’s all it is, people guessing. Only Rolex know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobU6263Daytona

Known Member
6/6/17
I spoke to my AD a couple of days ago and he told me that in November 2017, Rolex had hit their sales goal and basically stopped shipping watches at that point. They are now taking a page from Ferrari. Limit the supply of the most sought after models and the value of the watches will be retained.
He said that any of the SS Sport models are VERY difficult to get. The SS Sky Dweller is about as difficult to get as a Daytona right now.
So basically, there won't be any discounts given for any of these watches. The AD's don't put anything in the case that is in high demand. They keep them for "good" customers. I've benefited from this a few times myself.

Reactions: Ls2851

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
There is also the rumor that the SS sport lines are getting a refresh. We will find out in less than a month at baselworld

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I spoke to my AD a couple of days ago and he told me that in November 2017, Rolex had hit their sales goal and basically stopped shipping watches at that point. They are now taking a page from Ferrari. Limit the supply of the most sought after models and the value of the watches will be retained.
He said that any of the SS Sport models are VERY difficult to get. The SS Sky Dweller is about as difficult to get as a Daytona right now.
So basically, there won't be any discounts given for any of these watches. The AD's don't put anything in the case that is in high demand. They keep them for "good" customers. I've benefited from this a few times myself.

What do they give their shitty customers?

Reactions: kvmclp

watchguyusa1

I'm Pretty Popular
1/10/06
Boca Raton Florida USA
Hey I know it’s crazy I’ve been wanting a 16613 Bluesy and last year they were going for $6-6500 this last holiday season I was watching one that was on eBay that was around 7800 buy it now and it was at a local mom and pop jewelry store right down the street from my job here in Boca Raton,I was planning to go in person and offer $7000 cash as I figured that he can avoid the eBay and PayPal fees ,the listing ended and he relisted the same exact watch for $8900!!! Wtf
so I went there 2 weeks ago he had a f series Bluesy and was asking 8400 I went in there with$7700 cash in
a envelope and he refused! He was firm at 8400, And he also said he would rather have a cashiers check instead of cash!
what is going on? Is cash not king anymore? I ended up going to Miami and found a nice no hole f series for $7200
two different jewelers told me the same thing about rolex limiting production now

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
In the last few months I have been too a few AD's and Rolex USA in NYC. Everyone has a story there. From the hulk and batman being discontinued. To the sub line being discontinued and replaced with a new one.

While it is true that since last summer my AD has gotten zero SS sports line besides a Daytona that was reserved. They are frustrated.

I am on the wait list for the 126600 since September.

Two tones I have seen. In fact I was in the Westchester mall in NY White Plans area and they have a 116613 Blue. They have tones of date just, tons of gold Daytonas. Zero stainless steel sports. At first they said it started with the Daytona. Then just the hulk and batman. Then all Sub and GMT's. I asked about explorers. They get those on and off but even those. Again this is coming from a AD and they are a large one Tourneau.

Each AD I go to have different stories and the best answer I have heard was..... Rolex never lets anyone, let alone their AD's, know what they are doing. We will find out when they do it.

I remember in 2000 when I went to buy my first one, I had to go on a wait list for the 16610. I got it by my birthday.

One other thing. I also noticed that it is a location issue. I remember years ago people telling me that I could find a real Rolex 2000 and up 16610LN for $3800. I asked wear and they were showing me ebay and online stores. I haven't seen a Rolex stainless sub 16610 in the NYC area from a auth Rolex dealer for less than $5000. I hope we can look up post. It was when I built my first 16610 that was all real but the phong case. Guys were saying I should had went real because I had spent around $4000 after the 3135 and service.

Stainlesss subs are the cats Meow. Love them. Didn't think I would like the hulk but I am enjoying it. So I own a real hulk. A all real but the clasp (Which I might have one this week) and the V6S case. I own my real 16610LN and my all rolex but phong case 16610LV. I had a 1680 which someone is selling right now on M2M. Stainless steel subs are just amazing. I, for one, look forward too the next one.

Reactions: JoeyT

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
I noticed the same unfortunate trend. I agree that Rolex is probably limiting production but let’s not forget they make something like a million watches a year. Pretty crazy number if you think about it