• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seiko Tuna build

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
This might be in the wrong place, but since there is no Seiko Rep forum I didn't know where else to go with it. Mods, if this should be somewhere else feel free to move it.

I think I am going to build a seiko Tuna unless someone comes to the rescue and offers a better suggestion..... Anyone, anyone, anyone.... Bueller, Bueller, Bueller......lol

I did a little digging, but have not come up with too much. My goal is to build a nice looking Tuna for $300, I guess I could be convinced to spend $400, but I really don't want to spend more than that on it. Ideally I would like the size of a 300m quartz with an automatic movement. My favorite dial is the original 600m automatic, but I am quite afraid of the size of that 51mm beast. I am not all that worried about it being a "Super" rep or anything. I just want it to look good and wear well.

My thought right now is to purchase this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merkur-Jap...hash=item2a89016945:m:mv_D1fgrxVl3LWG7--6nS1g

It looks like I would likely be changing:
- Dial
- Crown (to a signed crown)
- Handset
- Strap

and probably using the existing
- Case
- Crystal
- Bezel
- Bezel Insert
- Chapter Ring

On the fence about:
- Movement

I will start with leaving the movement alone, but at some point I might consider doing something different like putting an Asian ETA clone. I know this will involve more work so I am going to put that off until last.

My biggest dilemma (at least right now) is the dial.

I have done some reading, but I am by no means an expert on the Tuna. My understanding is that all automatic Tunas are 51mm. At least right now I am thinking that I want it to be the smaller size of the quartz ones around 48mm, but I like automatics over quartz so I am fine with the 4r35 movement that comes with this merkur homage.

Here is my favorite dial:

The only thing is that I know that dial a) only comes in 51mm and b) would be impossible to come by.

I don't really think that I want to put a dial on there that says "quartz" even though that would probably look closer to the real thing than one that says "automatic" and is only 48mm. I probably would be ok with a dial that is similar to the one I posted above that makes no reference to "Quartz" or "Automatic"

Anyone have suggestions?

Kentman

Known Member
5/5/16
Hi mate. I have had several Tunas of different flavours over the years, 300m, 600m and 1000m. The dials are all the same size it's only the case that changes and tbh I think it's only the shroud which changes.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

ILuvTheCLock

Known Member
23/7/17
My Merkur Tuna should be arriving any day now!!!! :) I will post some pics when it gets here. They actually had it in stock the other day, but it takes forever to get to USA. Ordered on Nov 20th, and it still hasn't arrived yet. Factor that into your build. Good luck and post lots of pics if you are successful!!! I am pretty sure the people that are making these Merkur's have already stated that with the MM300 they do, the Seiko dial will not work (you can't just replace their dial with the Seiko)

They seem cool, you might want to send them a message. They might be able to accommodate a "custom" Tuna for you (for a price obviously) Let me know if they do!!!

Good luck with the project!!

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
My Merkur Tuna should be arriving any day now!!!! :) I will post some pics when it gets here. They actually had it in stock the other day, but it takes forever to get to USA. Ordered on Nov 20th, and it still hasn't arrived yet. Factor that into your build. Good luck and post lots of pics if you are successful!!! I am pretty sure the people that are making these Merkur's have already stated that with the MM300 they do, the Seiko dial will not work (you can't just replace their dial with the Seiko)

They seem cool, you might want to send them a message. They might be able to accommodate a "custom" Tuna for you (for a price obviously) Let me know if they do!!!

Good luck with the project!!

I just sent them a pm vie e-bay. I'll post their answer

ILuvTheCLock

Known Member
23/7/17
It arrived!!!
EvhHB7P.jpg
8IvYFic.jpg

Kentman

Known Member
5/5/16
I have a soft spot for Tunas so the pricing on these is very tempting. What's it like?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I don't know how I missed this over on wus but there is a big thread on this merkur Tuna here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/fi...merkur-oceanmaster-sbbn015-clone-4533909.html
I hope I am not violating any rules with a link. In any case it is in the Dive Watch Forum

Here is my take away from reading 30+ pages of comments:
Everyone loves the watch. Great watch for $169. Takes for ever to get it etc etc

It seem that no one over there realizes that ordering from china is not like ordering on Amazon

I am going to order it. I'm sure the guys over there would be "Aghast" if they knew that I was going to put a seiko dial on mine, but I don't care. Everyone loves to mod seikos so I don't see how this would be any different. I know I am not going to wind up with a great rep or anything, but I don't really care. I'm not a fan of the merkur name and not so much for the hand set either so I will change those 2 out and maybe put a different back on it & get rid of the "m" signed crown & I think I will have a really nice looking Tuna "ish" watch for $300 or so.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I bought one. Everyone over at wus is bitchin about shipping delays etc. I guess no one over there has ever dealt with buying a watch from china? lol
Anyway, it will get here when it gets here and then I will figure out what mods I am going to do. The general consensus seems to be that for the money it is a well built watch and really quite nice so I am looking forward to it. I will update with pics when I get it

ILuvTheCLock

Known Member
23/7/17
Lol, I got my Tuna, but I messaged the seller today and if the MM300 isn't ready to ship, I am just going to take the refund for now. I would rather just buy it when it's in stock. Unfortunately the original sales thread said it would ship Dec 7th. Now it is pushed back to February at some time.

I hope they have the Tuna in stock, but as you said, it will eventually get there (and it's VERY good quality when it does arrive!!!)

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
Subscribed

I like the idea of slapping in a Seiko dial on this other wise beautiful watch at a great price imo.
I ordered mine first week of Dec. and its still somewhere over the pond I suspect.

The great thing about modding watches is that you get to put your own signature on it to suit you. So I wouldn't get hung up on the dial, just get the one you like that fits and go for it.

Looking forward to the progress.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Subscribed

I like the idea of slapping in a Seiko dial on this other wise beautiful watch at a great price imo.
I ordered mine first week of Dec. and its still somewhere over the pond I suspect.

The great thing about modding watches is that you get to put your own signature on it to suit you. So I wouldn't get hung up on the dial, just get the one you like that fits and go for it.

Looking forward to the progress.

Here is a pic of mine as it stands.....
I have worn it a few times and actually am wearing it right now. For $169 (which is what I paid) I can not think of a nicer watch. Think about it. Automatic movement that both hacks and hand winds, Sapphire crystal & a ceramic bezel insert all for $169.

I have been looking for a Dial, a Crown and a Back. The Dials and Crowns that I have seen on e-bay are crazy expensive so unless I can find something cheaper I am going a slightly different route with this one. I picked up a Sumo Dial which isn't too much different and I also picked up a Sumo crown (which won't work) so I still need to figure out something for the crown and the Case back. If anyone has ideas where I can pick up these parts at a reasonable price or a suitable alternative I would be interested.

OH and BTW Here is what I think of this watch:
Absolutely stunning how nice this one looks. The contrast between the brushed shroud and the polished screws and lugs and bezel is just gorgeous. Lume is fantastic and is easily readable early in the morning after a 7 hr night of darkness. Sapphire crystal looks super and the ceramic bezel is the bomb. Did I mention that I like this watch A LOT for $169

38463777160_4a2bccca00_c.jpg

Reactions: kdo2milger

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
It is is a fantastic value vs quality! I finally got mine middle of last month. I put a strap code hexad on it and I think it took the tuna can to a whole new level. If you are interested, Dagaz has some nice dials and various other Seiko parts; http://www.dagazwatch.com/ They are closed for CNY though.

pkw2704

22/7/13
how did this end? do you mod it ,if so how? i have one on order and fancy changing the dial

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
how did this end? do you mod it ,if so how? i have one on order and fancy changing the dial

I bought a genuine Sbbn015/017 -crown & a sumo dial which are the two mods I figured I couldn't live without. The Tuna dial was just too expensive so I went with a sumo dial. After finding out that the crown wasn't going to work & the case back had different threads the whole thing seemed like it would be too difficult to get a good result so I gave up on it and just bought the real thing.

pkw2704

22/7/13
I am struggling to find seiko dials ,is there a secret place ? Also toying with changing the movement to a nh36 so I can get a 007 dial or something day/date

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Search around a bit using google. There are other forums that have lots of people that know all kinds of stuff about seiko. Some guys do all sorts mods and have watch parts. I am not all that knowledgeable. All I know about is RWI, time zone and e-bay but I know there are others