• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My love affair with Russian watches continues

D

d4m.test

@illecebrousrian Have you seen these on Meranom,

Amphibian SE 710SE, 22mm solid link bracelet, no date $145 a piece:

baxvhZl.jpg

Q9Ekos5.jpg

Yes, I have seen them already. I saw them in Meranom's website a couple of days ago. For the price, I prefer the Neptune. These ones are still great and I really like the matching end links.

Usually they put crappy bracelets that you want to throw away in stock Vostoks. The ones they use in SE models looks decent solid links unlike the crappy folded steel they use on cheap Amphibia bracelets. The crowns are also made out of stainless steel so they are pretty easy to grasp.

If I had some money lying around I would purchase the White dial one. I have too many black dial watches and I actually like the look of the hands and dials on that white dial 710SE.

I actually got spoiled by Vostoks cheap pricing. I always thought their SE watches were overpriced in the past. However, if you think about it you are getting a watch that has an in house movement. Other brands inflate the pricing of their watches for that reason alone.

It also has a pretty decent bracelet included already and the looks are a cut above the normal Amphibia. In my opinion these SE offerings by Meranom is actually a pretty good deal for the price he offers.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
I have grabbed myself a bronze much above retail on the bay after reading many reviews and have to admit in my view it's overappreciated. The build quality is decent and some microbrands offer better value at that price point. And the case form factor doesn't feel good on my wrist, maybe because I'm used to bigger watches. On the other hand, it will finance more reps when I sell it :)

D

d4m.test

I have grabbed myself a bronze much above retail on the bay after reading many reviews and have to admit in my view it's overappreciated. The build quality is decent and some microbrands offer better value at that price point. And the case form factor doesn't feel good on my wrist, maybe because I'm used to bigger watches. On the other hand, it will finance more reps when I sell it :)

I understand Vostoks are not everyone's cup of tea. At least you tried using it before giving us your insight on these Vostoks. The world would be a much duller place if everyone has the same opinion anyways. My opinion below is not an attempt to dismiss your point of view. It is simply an explanation of how I see things from my perspective.

I didn't like the bronze construction of the 67 Amphibia because I don't like bronze watches in general. Had they made it out of stainless steel, I would have purchased one immediately. I sit on the other side on the fence in which I believe these Vostoks provide a greater value than most micro brands.

Most of the new microbrands I have seen are the awful ones in Kickstarter and you can see the ocassional money grab attempts. They just slap in some fancy marketing and a Swiss quartz movement and call it a day. However, I believe you are talking about the decent microbrands.

At this price point, the Vostok SE's have an edge with their in house movement that is made to higher tolerances and with better finishing than their stock models. The size is perfect for me as I don't really like watches that are too oversized.

Thanks for sharing with us your input on these watches and have a nice day. I hope you can recoup your expenses when you sell the 67 Amphibia. :adoration:

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
I understand Vostoks is not everyone's cup of tea. At least you tried using it before giving us your insight. The world would be a much duller place if everyone has the same opinion anyways. My opinion below is not an attempt to dismiss your point of view. It is simply an explanation of how I see things in my perspective.

I didn't like the bronze construction of the 67 Amphibia because I don't like bronze watches in general. Had they made it out of stainless steel, I would have purchased one immediately. I sit on the other side on the fence in which I believe these Vostoks provide a greater value than some micro brands.

Most of the new microbrands I have seen are the awful ones in Kickstarter and you can see the ocassional money grab attempts. They just slap in some fancy marketing anf a Ronda movement and call it a day. However, I believe you are talking about the decent microbrands.

At this price point, the Vostok SE's have an edge with their in house movement that is made to higher tolerances and with better finishing than their stock models.

Thanks for sharing with us your input on these watches and have a nice day.
Thanks, in fact I am quite open-minded and always willing to try and learn.

For the retail price (350 euros?) it would make sense probably to Vostok fans being a LE and made of bronze, but for what I paid I can get some Zelos/Magrette/Gruppo Gamma/Lum tec/Steinhart which have Jap/Swiss movements and are better for me in terms of fit on the wrist and perceived quality. I've seen bronze LE prices online on watch forums and the bay and I am confident I will be able to sell it without a loss.

But you are right that regular steel Vostok are completely in another league and you can't find a good micro brand alternative with auto movement in the same price segment (100-150 euros) :) In fact I am tempted to get a Neptune SE - a friend has ordered one and will allow me to molest it a bit

ola_tir01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/2/17
Here is my favourite. It's a "Radio Room" Vostok Amphibia, but I changed the bezel and insert, and went for a colour matched nato strap.

I have 3 others, and will post up once I get some photos.

eb2e0a9a2dfd65ad968a45c9f07a3332.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That looks alot like a Seiko bezel insert, I like it! :)

D

d4m.test

Thanks, in fact I am quite open-minded and always willing to try and learn.

For the retail price (350 euros?) it would make sense probably to Vostok fans being a LE and made of bronze, but for what I paid I can get some Zelos/Magrette/Gruppo Gamma/Lum tec/Steinhart which have Jap/Swiss movements and are better for me in terms of fit on the wrist and perceived quality. I've seen bronze LE prices online on watch forums and the bay and I am confident I will be able to sell it without a loss.

But you are right that regular steel Vostok are completely in another league and you can't find a good micro brand alternative with auto movement in the same price segment (100-150 euros) :) In fact I am tempted to get a Neptune SE - a friend has ordered one and will allow me to molest it a bit

I agree with your assessment that my status as a Vostok fan may have tampered with my assessment of these watches. Thank you for trying out these Vostoks and giving us your honest assessment :adoration:

Those microbrands you mentioned are undeniably good brands, especially Steinhart. Heard a lot of praises for that brand in other forums.

Anyways, when you decide to get a Neptune please post some pics here. I hope you will like the Neptune better than the 67 Amphibia.

That looks alot like a Seiko bezel insert, I like it! :)

Aftermarket Vostok bezels usually use Seiko bezel inserts. The notable exception is the bezels produced by AM Watches which has a sloping profile to hide the extreme dome of the crystal.

ola_tir01

7/2/17
Aftermarket Vostok bezels usually use Seiko bezel inserts. The notable exception is the bezels produced by AM Watches which has a sloping profile to hide the extreme dome of the crystal.

I didn’t know that, Thanks for making that clear :)I guess my seiko-knowledge isnt too bad :p

D

d4m.test

I didn’t know that, Thanks for making that clear :)I guess my seiko-knowledge isnt too bad :p

The main advantage to this design is that you can swap whatever Seiko Bezel Insert you want in the bezel. There are tons of ceramic and aluminum Seiko bezel inserts out there. You can achieve different looks by combining different bezel inserts and dials. :adoration:

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
The main advantage to this design is that you can swap whatever Seiko Bezel Insert you want in the bezel. There are tons of ceramic and aluminum Seiko bezel inserts out there. You can achieve different looks by combining different bezel inserts and dials. :adoration:

I notice there are sellers on eBay selling Vostoks with the Seiko conversion already done.

This classic 710 Scubadude is an example for £84, pretty good IMHO.

ZhUjm3s.jpg

Automotiveromance

Known Member
8/3/18
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just received my first Amphibian. 420 case with black scuba dude dial, I put on a Seiko bezel, also immediately put it on a silicone strap as the bracelet isn’t the best.

16a6vck.jpg

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just received my first Amphibian. 420 case with black scuba dude dial, I put on a Seiko bezel, also immediately put it on a silicone strap as the bracelet isn’t the best.

16a6vck.jpg

Classic Scuba Dude, dude.

Did you change the whole bezel or just the insert?

Automotiveromance

Known Member
8/3/18
Whole bezel, the original bezel doesn’t have an insert as far as I can tell. They’re dirt cheap anyway.

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
I just had a better case fitted to my Slava 2414, 21 jewel, hand-wind.

I really like the size and the clean, classic look.

WMCA8.jpg

Reactions: sketchAG

CQ1983

16/6/13
On Station...
Just got a Vostok Amphibia Antimagnetic.

Crazy spider dial - interesting crazing that is visible at different angles and light.

Mounted on a vintage Perlon strap.

Mahtze72

28/8/10
Spain
Just received my new Vostok Komandirskie 020715...loving it.
Took a few weeks from Meranom but very happy with communication. Switched out the bracelet for a 5 ring nato.
Already looking at a ScubaDude !

CV9F6.jpg