• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My love affair with Russian watches continues

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Sorry to hear that.
I think it should work pretty fine after you change the battery.
Watch looks very cool, btw. It is quite small, isn't it?

Yes it’s small - it’s 33mm and very slim. It says CCCP on the dial which is Soviet Union so it’s old. I think it’s from 70’s.
I can’t find this specific model online.

D

d4m.test

Yes it’s small - it’s 33mm and very slim. It says CCCP on the dial which is Soviet Union so it’s old. I think it’s from 70’s.
I can’t find this specific model online. Manufacturer name is Luch.

I believe 35mm was the standard size of watches back in the day. So your watch size is still quite small for that era.

I don't know what exact model your watch is as I am not that familiar with Soviet quartz watches. Still, your grandfather's watch looks really nice and classy.

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
I think there is a pretty good chance that the watch only needs a battery change. These quartz watches are pretty hardy, and it is already a good sign there is no battery leak inside. I think the brand of your grandfather's watch is "Luch" which means Ray in English if I remember correctly.

It would be great if you can get this watch working again. I am honored that you shared this very sentimental watch with us.

Thank you. I will buy battery and a new leather strap.

D

d4m.test

Tell us when you get the watch working again. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it will start working immediately after a battery change.

D

d4m.test

How do you guys buy these vostok watches? I see them all over ebay but it seems like they could be not reputable/ fake sellers. There is some seller "russian federation" that seems to sell new ones. Most watches seem to be in $50 range.
just curious about the basics on buying these...
"Zenitar" on ebay is a good start. Most currently available models are listed there.

The only real "need to know" is the variety of different cases and strap size combinations. Here is a diagram of the different cases, with strap sizes in mm.

d20e13905a2576224aa2f5b7835ddf82.gif

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Another of my favourites. Again, lightly modded, with a replacement bezel and nato strap..
e26fddde32922aada20df75690136095.jpg

D

d4m.test

I bought this one on a whim second hand, and have never worn it since! Its the paratrooper 710 "pillow" case model, which I changed the bezel and bezel insert on, and added the "sharkstooth" stainless diver strap. Previous owner appears to have changed the hands too.

3edf1967f83a8e0527b92fb205ba21a0.jpg

D

d4m.test

Finally I have a bog stock 420 "skinny strap" cased "scuba dude", only changed the strap, I might get around to swapping the bezel one day, but I'm not a fan of the 18mm strap.

50d51475b687e0ac70d4e69165eb5fd8.jpg

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
Finally I have a bog stock 420 "skinny strap" cased "scuba dude", only changed the strap, I might get around to swapping the bezel one day, but I'm not a fan of the 18mm strap.

50d51475b687e0ac70d4e69165eb5fd8.jpg

Can you please do a tutorial on all this bezel/insert swap stuff.

D

d4m.test

Can you please do a tutorial on all this bezel/insert swap stuff.

I'll start a thread later today or tomorrow, but I am by no means an expert. Some folk even change the hands and dials, etc, but I'm not that brave!

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
I'll start a thread later today or tomorrow, but I am by no means an expert. Some folk even change the hands and dials, etc, but I'm not that brave!
Swapping dials and hands is easy!

D

d4m.test

I changed the bezel and hands on my modded Amphibia. Used a springbar tool to remove the old hands and then removed the dial screws with some cheap Chinese screwdrivers.

I don't know if I am lucky, but most of the Vostok bezels I simply pry off using my hand. If it is unusually tight, I use a caseback knife to dislodge it. Here's a tutorial by AM Watches on Youtube on how to change the bezel on a Vostok Amphibia.

D

d4m.test

I bought this one on a whim second hand, and have never worn it since! Its the paratrooper 710 "pillow" case model, which I changed the bezel and bezel insert on, and added the "sharkstooth" stainless diver strap. Previous owner appears to have changed the hands too.

3edf1967f83a8e0527b92fb205ba21a0.jpg

Those looks like paddle hands from either Meranom or Favinov. I used the paddle hands from Yobokies since I liked his more as it looked closer to the paddle hands on vintage Vostoks.

The bezel looks like it came from AM Watches from Germany. Very nice but kinda expensive bezel. They use a special insert so the crystal won't be exposed. Others don't really like this look though.

I really like that 710 Ministry case. It is one of my favorite cases along with the 090 Tonneau. It's a very nice touch that you put it on a mesh bracelet. :adoration:

Here's my Vostok Cadet with a mesh bracelet saying hi.

View attachment 107126

D

d4m.test

Those looks like paddle hands from either Meranom or Favinov. I used the paddle hands from Yobokies since I liked his more as it looked closer to the paddle hands on vintage Vostoks.

The bezel looks like it came from AM Watches from Germany. Very nice but kinda expensive bezel. They use a special insert so the crystal won't be exposed. Others don't really like this look though.

I really like that 710 Ministry case. It is one of my favorite cases along with the 090 Tonneau. It's a very nice touch that you put it on a mesh bracelet. :adoration:

Yes, AM bezel and insert on that one. .. and it's strange how tastes differ, but I like the 710 and 090 least of all!

D

d4m.test

Yes, AM bezel and insert on that one. .. and it's strange how tastes differ, but I like the 710 and 090 least of all!

I like the 090 and 710 because of then 22mm lug size. However, I prefer the 090 over the 710 because of the covered lugs. Great for hiding the non matching end links of bracelets.

The 420 is my go to case when it comes to 18mm lug size cases. Mostly because my first Amphibia had this case type. I really like using Zenitar's rubber tire strap in combination with this case, as I feel it is really comfortable.

It's alright if you have different preferences in case types. Vostok designed different case types exactly for this reason. It's not like we have to fight over what style we like. However, I think your Amphibias are still really cool. Thanks for sharing your collection with us :adoration:

D

d4m.test

I like the 090 and 710 because of then 22mm lug size. However, I prefer the 090 over the 710 because of the covered lugs. Great for hiding the non matching end links of bracelets.

The 420 is my go to case when it comes to 18mm lug size cases. Mostly because my first Amphibia had this case type. I really like using Zenitar's rubber tire strap in combination with this case, as I feel it is really comfortable.

It's alright if you have different preferences in case types. Vostok designed different case types exactly for this reason. It's not like we have to fight over what style we like. However, I think your Amphibias are still really cool. Thanks for sharing your collection with us :adoration:

No sweat, did you see my radio room model that I posted a page or two back? That watch is by far my favourite. It's very striking in those colours with the bezel swap. Anything in a 110 or 100 floats my boat!

D

d4m.test

No sweat, did you see my radio room model that I posted a page or two back? That watch is by far my favourite. It's very striking in those colours with the bezel swap. Anything in a 110 or 100 floats my boat!

Yep, I saw that one already and it is pretty badass. The radio room dial is one of the classic dials of Vostoks that I really like. Next time I build another Vostok, it is the the dial that I am looking at. Kind of a wonder why I don't have a Vostok with a Radio Room dial yet. Meranom has a very cool windup ship clock up for sale that had a Radio Room dial.

https://meranom.com/en/vostok/ships-clock/vostok-watch-ship-clock-5-chm-m3-radioroom.html

The only other classic Vostok dial that I like better than the Radio Room is the Scuba Dude black with no date. As I said earlier, I like no date dials on these 2416b movements. These no date black Scuba Dude dials used to be hard to source, but Vostok started producing them again recently.

If you are considering another upgrade for your Vostok Amphibia. I recommend this machined crown produced by Meranom. It is easier to grab and wind than the standard brass one. It is also more durable as it is made from Stainless Steel. Here's the link for the machine crown that has a stem length for 10, 11 and 09 cases.

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-cl...rown-for-vostok-amphibian-10-11-09-cases.html

The 110 and 100 cases are pretty cool and sleek looking. They also have 22mm lugs if I remember correctly. They look real nice with a nice NATO or rubber strap. :adoration:

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
Here is my favourite. It's a "Radio Room" Vostok Amphibia, but I changed the bezel and insert, and went for a colour matched nato strap.

I have 3 others, and will post up once I get some photos.

eb2e0a9a2dfd65ad968a45c9f07a3332.jpg

Awesome!