Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.

Announcing PICR.me , RWI's own image hosting site!
See more
See less

My love affair with Russian watches continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by jaredjohnson, post: 3827471, member: 147302
    Sorry to hear that.
    I think it should work pretty fine after you change the battery.
    Watch looks very cool, btw. It is quite small, isn't it?
    Yes it’s small - it’s 33mm and very slim. It says CCCP on the dial which is Soviet Union so it’s old. I think it’s from 70’s.
    I can’t find this specific model online.

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by rcom440, post: 3827708, member: 53647
      Yes it’s small - it’s 33mm and very slim. It says CCCP on the dial which is Soviet Union so it’s old. I think it’s from 70’s.
      I can’t find this specific model online. Manufacturer name is Luch.
      I believe 35mm was the standard size of watches back in the day. So your watch size is still quite small for that era.

      I don't know what exact model your watch is as I am not that familiar with Soviet quartz watches. Still, your grandfather's watch looks really nice and classy.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by illecebrousrian, post: 3827353, member: 164839
        I think there is a pretty good chance that the watch only needs a battery change. These quartz watches are pretty hardy, and it is already a good sign there is no battery leak inside. I think the brand of your grandfather's watch is "Luch" which means Ray in English if I remember correctly.

        It would be great if you can get this watch working again. I am honored that you shared this very sentimental watch with us.
        Thank you. I will buy battery and a new leather strap.

        Comment


          #64
          Tell us when you get the watch working again. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it will start working immediately after a battery change.

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by Radman, post: 3826769, member: 75800
            How do you guys buy these vostok watches? I see them all over ebay but it seems like they could be not reputable/ fake sellers. There is some seller "russian federation" that seems to sell new ones. Most watches seem to be in $50 range.
            just curious about the basics on buying these...
            "Zenitar" on ebay is a good start. Most currently available models are listed there.

            The only real "need to know" is the variety of different cases and strap size combinations. Here is a diagram of the different cases, with strap sizes in mm.



            Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

            Comment


              #66
              Another of my favourites. Again, lightly modded, with a replacement bezel and nato strap..

              Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #67
                I bought this one on a whim second hand, and have never worn it since! Its the paratrooper 710 "pillow" case model, which I changed the bezel and bezel insert on, and added the "sharkstooth" stainless diver strap. Previous owner appears to have changed the hands too.




                Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #68
                  Finally I have a bog stock 420 "skinny strap" cased "scuba dude", only changed the strap, I might get around to swapping the bezel one day, but I'm not a fan of the 18mm strap.




                  Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by SvenSniper, post: 3831084, member: 165704
                    Finally I have a bog stock 420 "skinny strap" cased "scuba dude", only changed the strap, I might get around to swapping the bezel one day, but I'm not a fan of the 18mm strap.




                    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
                    Can you please do a tutorial on all this bezel/insert swap stuff.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Waspy, post: 3831114, member: 88101
                      Can you please do a tutorial on all this bezel/insert swap stuff.
                      I'll start a thread later today or tomorrow, but I am by no means an expert. Some folk even change the hands and dials, etc, but I'm not that brave!

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by SvenSniper, post: 3831290, member: 165704
                        I'll start a thread later today or tomorrow, but I am by no means an expert. Some folk even change the hands and dials, etc, but I'm not that brave!
                        Well, you are certainly a Vostok bezel expert.

                        Keep me posted please.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by SvenSniper, post: 3831290, member: 165704
                          I'll start a thread later today or tomorrow, but I am by no means an expert. Some folk even change the hands and dials, etc, but I'm not that brave!
                          Swapping dials and hands is easy!

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by SvenSniper, post: 3831290, member: 165704
                            I'll start a thread later today or tomorrow, but I am by no means an expert. Some folk even change the hands and dials, etc, but I'm not that brave!
                            I changed the bezel and hands on my modded Amphibia. Used a springbar tool to remove the old hands and then removed the dial screws with some cheap Chinese screwdrivers.

                            I don't know if I am lucky, but most of the Vostok bezels I simply pry off using my hand. If it is unusually tight, I use a caseback knife to dislodge it. Here's a tutorial by AM Watches on Youtube on how to change the bezel on a Vostok Amphibia.

                            [MEDIA=youtube]v524XtfPA-k[/MEDIA]

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by SvenSniper, post: 3831077, member: 165704
                              I bought this one on a whim second hand, and have never worn it since! Its the paratrooper 710 "pillow" case model, which I changed the bezel and bezel insert on, and added the "sharkstooth" stainless diver strap. Previous owner appears to have changed the hands too.




                              Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
                              Those looks like paddle hands from either Meranom or Favinov. I used the paddle hands from Yobokies since I liked his more as it looked closer to the paddle hands on vintage Vostoks.

                              The bezel looks like it came from AM Watches from Germany. Very nice but kinda expensive bezel. They use a special insert so the crystal won't be exposed. Others don't really like this look though.

                              I really like that 710 Ministry case. It is one of my favorite cases along with the 090 Tonneau. It's a very nice touch that you put it on a mesh bracelet.

                              Here's my Vostok Cadet with a mesh bracelet saying hi.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by illecebrousrian, post: 3831399, member: 164839
                                Those looks like paddle hands from either Meranom or Favinov. I used the paddle hands from Yobokies since I liked his more as it looked closer to the paddle hands on vintage Vostoks.

                                The bezel looks like it came from AM Watches from Germany. Very nice but kinda expensive bezel. They use a special insert so the crystal won't be exposed. Others don't really like this look though.

                                I really like that 710 Ministry case. It is one of my favorite cases along with the 090 Tonneau. It's a very nice touch that you put it on a mesh bracelet.
                                Yes, AM bezel and insert on that one. .. and it's strange how tastes differ, but I like the 710 and 090 least of all!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X