• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My love affair with Russian watches continues

jaredjohnson

26/2/17
One suggestion I have for your Komandirskie is to use it as a beater watch. I have used my Vostoks in applications where other people would most likely use G Shocks instead, such as hiking, sports and swimming. I haven't had one of my Vostoks fail yet despite of the abuse I have put them through. My reasoning was that these watches are so inexpensive, I can just buy a new one in case mine does fail.

My Komandirskie's chrome plating did start to fade after a couple years of hard use. However, the movement was still ticking. So I bought an Amphibia case and transplanted the movement. I did not have this problem with the Amphibia as they have a stainless steel case which resists corrosion really good.
They are practically undestuctable, to be honest. Especially earlier batches. The quality is getting worse, however.

D

d4m.test

They are practically undestuctable, to be honest. Especially earlier batches. The quality is getting worse, however.

The best Vostoks are produced during the USSR period. The problem with modern production Vostoks is that they are poorly oiled, which causes a lot of reliability issues. That's why I have my movements serviced before I use them by a watchmaker located in Russia.

However, I am sure that you can ask Meranom to service your movement as well. Although I do not know how much he will charge. Vostoks quality plummeted a bit after the USSR collapsed. Then the newly privatized firm experienced financial difficulties and went bankrupt if I remember correctly.

However, I believe the company has been reorganized and their tooling has been upgraded. So I expect their quality should not be as bad as the ones produced after the bankruptcy of the firm. I don't like some of their newer lines of Vostok though, such as the Quartz Chronographs with Ronda movements selling for 350 USD.

Still, for a 60 USD watch they are pretty good. However, it does feel pretty bad if you received a watch with QC issues, which does happen ocassionally. An example would be some reports of the reverser wheels being improperly oiled causing autowinders issues.

jaredjohnson

26/2/17
The best Vostoks are produced during the USSR period. The problem with modern production Vostoks is that they are poorly oiled, which causes a lot of reliability issues. That's why I have my movements serviced before I use them by a watchmaker located in Russia.

However, I am sure that you can ask Meranom to service your movement as well. Although I do not know how much he will charge. Vostoks quality plummeted a bit after the USSR collapsed. Then the newly privatized firm experienced financial difficulties and went bankrupt if I remember correctly.

However, I believe the company has been reorganized and their tooling has been upgraded. I don't like some of their newer lines though such as the Quartz Chronographs with Ronda movements selling for 350 USD.

Still, for a 60 USD watch they are pretty good. However, it does feel pretty bad if you received a watch with QC issues, which does happen ocassionally. An example would be some reports of the reverser wheels being improperly oiled causing autowinders issues.
Yeah, I've heard they started to use even cheaper materials than before. But still, for the price they are really-really good.

D

d4m.test

Yeah, I've heard they started to use even cheaper materials than before. But still, for the price they are really-really good.

A bit off topic, but have you seen the pics of the Replica Vostoks? The watch is already cheap at 60 USD but some firm in China is making fake ones with Tongji movements in it. I'll try to find some photos.

jaredjohnson

26/2/17
A bit off topic, but have you seen the pics of the Replica Vostoks? The watch is already cheap at 60 USD but some firm in China is making fake ones with Tongji movements in it. I'll try to finds some photos.
Omg, seriously? That is just hilarious. I want to see that.

D

d4m.test

Here, I borrowed the photos from another forum. Credit of the photos belongs to the user who posted them.

When you look at the watch, it looks normal. Then you notice there is no wobbly crown and the bezel feels different from your other Vostoks

View attachment 106359
Then you open the watch up and you see not a 2409 or 2416b movement, but a Tongji movement. Same movement you see in cheap eBay 23USD watches like the Winner brand.

View attachment 106360

I remember another fake Komandirskie where instead of an T34 on the dial where the Chinese put a T80 in it. I will try to find the photos if I can.

gavmeister

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/16
Why spend that much on a fake when the gens are so inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

D

d4m.test

These are being sold by shady vendors on eBay I believe. However I do question how they make profit from an already cheap watch. I have read threads at other forums of people inadvertently buying these fake Vostoks thinking they're original.

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
I ended up giving this Poljot to my father several years ago. He wore it everyday until I recently gifted him a Seiko Recraft.

1005131053_zpsf7b61935.jpg

1028171300_HDR_zpstbtd6lgf.jpg

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
This Russian Watch belonged to my grandfather. He had it on his wrist when he died in the hospital. My sister told me that watch stoped working the day our grandfather died. It has sentimental value.
I’m not sure if I should restore it, clean it and get new strap. It’s quartz.

D

d4m.test

This Russian Watch belonged to my grandfather. He had it on his wrist when he died in the hospital. My sister told me that watch stoped working the day our grandfather died. It has sentimental value.
I’m not sure if I should restore it, clean it and get new strap. It’s quartz.

I'm sorry for your grandfather's passing. I would check first if the quartz module of this watch could still be repaired. If the whole module needs to be replaced I would keep the watch as is if an original module can't be found.

If you do get it working once more, that would be great. If I had a watch like that I would be proud wearing it regularly. Such a sentimental piece like this has a value that can't be expressed in monetary terms. It is practically an heirloom that you can pass to your descendants, and a very good looking watch too.

D

d4m.test

@illecebrousrian What is your opinion Sir of the Poljot 3133? I like the Civil Chronograph. Are they still as good as they used to be?

In my opinion you should get one as soon as you can. The 3133 is one of the best movements produced by Russia and the USSR in my opinion.

The 3133 is no longer being produced, so once supplies of the movement dries up they are gone for good. Prices of watches using this movement would probably increase then. I would check out Poljot24.de if you are interested in these 3133 watches. They have a very fine selection of models there.

The Civil Chronograph is a good looking model. However my favorite 3133 is the Strela models.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I'm sorry for your grandfather's passing. I would check first if the quartz module of this watch could still be repaired. If the whole module needs to be replaced I would keep the watch as is if an original module can't be found.

If you do get it working once more, that would be great. If I had a watch like that I would be proud wearing it regularly. Such a sentimental piece like this has a value that can't be expressed in monetary terms. It is practically an heirloom that you can pass to your descendants, and a very good looking watch too.

Thank you very much. I just opened the watch and removed the battery. There was no spil inside and the quartz looks clean. I think battery is dead and quartz movement is fine.

Waspy

Renowned Member
18/8/14
Wiltshire
In my opinion you should get one as soon as you can. The 3133 is one of the best movements produced by Russia and the USSR in my opinion.

The 3133 is no longer being produced, so once supplies of the movement dries up they are gone for good. Prices of watches using this movement would probably increase then. I would check out Poljot24.de if you are interested in these 3133 watches. They have a very fine selection of models there.

The Civil Chronograph is a good looking model. However my favorite 3133 is the Strela models.

Thank you.

D

d4m.test

Thank you very much. I just opened the watch and removed the battery. There was no spil inside and the quartz looks clean. I think battery is dead and quartz movement is fine.

I think there is a pretty good chance that the watch only needs a battery change. These quartz watches are pretty hardy, and it is already a good sign there is no battery leak inside. I think the brand of your grandfather's watch is "Luch" which means Ray in English if I remember correctly.

It would be great if you can get this watch working again. I am honored that you shared this very sentimental watch with us.

jaredjohnson

26/2/17
Sorry to hear that.
I think it should work pretty fine after you change the battery.
Watch looks very cool, btw. It is quite small, isn't it?