• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

*****What Gen are you Wearing Today?

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
Man, the Zeitwork is out of this world. The absolute grail watch. Well, almost. I unfortunately think (quite sure!) that it will look too big on my wrist. I felt like the 38,5mm Lange 1815 was at the limit - for a dress-watch at least.

I don't think there's ANY moonphase watch that I don't like, almost regardless of brand :) I know it's a novelty and one would ever use it, I also don't like it for the mechanical aspect of it, just simply because they add such a cool factor to a watch dial.

That's funny about the OF, I did not know that. Does that mean it isn't as flexible/soft as a pure rubber strap? If I have to wear anything on a strap it needs to be ULTRA soft and flexible, otherwise (due to my size/shape) it won't curve around the wrist and will end up just holding the watch up in the air. Lug to lug height is equally important to avoid that. That's one of the reasons why I pretty much exclusively wear watches on a metal bracelet. (Tbh, this sucks a lot.. Man I would wear the coolest watches if I my wrist was just slightly larger lol)

Does the YM have a glidelock clasp? Isn't it Easylink? I thought it was only the divers that hade the glidelock?

As far as the Daytona goes, I love the OF. It's so bad-ass. Whether on the YM or Daytona, it's the ultimate "F**K YOU" to be pairing a rubber strap with a solid gold watch :)

The Leather strap combination on a daytona I find absolutely awful. (Besides the leopard Daytona. It's kind of my secret crush - don't judge.)

I think I need to try on an Oyster Flex - it must however wait a few months... I can't allow myself to buy yet another watch this year. Bought 4 since Covid and I'm still honeymooning this one:
ZLTJMS.jpg
Now you're just flexing on me with that Daytona - but kudos to you sir! :lol:

My apologies with the reference to the clasp - you're absolutely right, it is indeed an Easylink, not a Glidelock. My comments in relation to sizing still apply however.

With the bracelet itself, Rolex has been quite clever - the part I've indicated in the below picture houses the titanium, the outer parts are just pure rubber so to you it just feels like a rubber strap. Also, on the underside those raised rubber parts that run halfway down from the lugs help keep your skin cool and can 'breathe' a little better.

ZLdyAv.jpg

While it has most the flexibility of a pure rubber strap you can tell there's something going on in the middle part of the bracelet as you can't quite twist it to the same degree as you might expect even though it's very soft and rather flexible overall. This is also why, as I said earlier, if you bought one you'd probably need to go a size down from standard on the 12 o'clock as I know exactly what you mean regarding the watch being held up in the air as this is something that only seems to plague me on rubber straps; currently I have this problem a little bit with the current strap size so I have to get a smaller 12 o'clock to make sure it fits snugly enough to my wrist (luckily my AD isn't charging me for that).

Generally I much prefer metal bracelets on watches but obviously a leather strap is the way to go for a dress piece. Only metal bracelet watch I don't like currently is ALS's Odysseus as for some reason the bracelet on that doesn't really sit well with me. Maybe I need to see one in the metal but the bracelet seems a little too thick proportionally. Thoughts?

I see your love of OF and gold makes you a little bit of a rebel; I mean, I can't think of another watch that has done this combination better than the 126655 to be honest. I'm not sure if I could comfortably rock a rubber-bracelet Daytona but more power to you!

For me, my comfort zone is around 40mm when it comes to watch diameter so that rules out most Omegas, IWCs, Panerai, Oris etc - even the AP Royal Oak 15400/15500 at 41mm is a little too much for me as I don't want to look like I'm wearing a dinner plate on my wrist...

From the ALS side of things, I think for us skinny wristed sorts a Saxonia Annual Calender or better yet, a Langematik Perpetual would tick a lot of boxes (as the Zeitwerk is a big piece at 42mm); 38.5mm case, moonphase AND the digital date all in one - winning! Again, these to me are 'lifetime pieces' not to be bought for investment safety but just because, well, just look at them.

I fully back you on your thoughts regarding moonphase complications; they're useless from a practicality standpoint but just look so very cool.

PS No judgement from me on the leopard Daytona - I REALLY love the 116595RBOW aka the "rainbow diamond" Daytona so who am I to pass comment!?

Last edited:

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Now you're just flexing on me with that Daytona - but kudos to you sir! :lol:

My apologies with the reference to the clasp - you're absolutely right, it is indeed an Easylink, not a Glidelock. My comments in relation to sizing still apply however.

With the bracelet itself, Rolex has been quite clever - the part I've indicated in the below picture houses the titanium, the outer parts are just pure rubber so to you it just feels like a rubber strap. Also, on the underside those raised rubber parts that run halfway down from the lugs help keep your skin cool and can 'breathe' a little better.

While it has most the flexibility of a pure rubber strap you can tell there's something going on in the middle part of the bracelet as you can't quite twist it to the same degree as you might expect even though it's very soft rather flexible overall. This is also why, as I said earlier, if you bought one you'd probably need to go a size down from standard on the 12 o'clock as I know exactly what you mean regarding the watch being held up in the air as this is something that only seems to plague me on rubber straps; currently I have this problem a little bit with the current strap size so I have to get a smaller 12 o'clock to make sure it fits snugly enough to my wrist (luckily my AD isn't charging me for that).

Generally I much prefer metal bracelets on watches but obviously a leather strap is the way to go for a dress piece. Only metal bracelet watch I don't like currently is ALS's Odysseus as for some reason the bracelet on that doesn't really sit well with me. Maybe I need to see one in the metal but the bracelet seems a little too thick proportionally. Thoughts?

I see your love of OF and gold makes you a little bit of a rebel; I mean, I can't think of another watch that has done this combination better than the 126655 to be honest. I'm not sure if I could comfortably rock a rubber-bracelet Daytona but more power to you!

For me, my comfort zone is around 40mm when it comes to watch diameter so that rules out most Omegas, IWCs, Panerai, Oris etc - even the AP Royal Oak 15400/15500 at 41mm is a little too much for me as I don't want to look like I'm wearing a dinner plate on my wrist...

From the ALS side of things, I think for us skinny wristed sorts a Saxonia Annual Calender or better yet, a Langematik Perpetual would tick a lot of boxes (as the Zeitwerk is a big piece at 42mm); 38.5mm case, moonphase AND the digital date all in one - winning! Again, these to me are 'lifetime pieces' not to be bought for investment safety but just because, well, just look at them.

I fully back you on your thoughts regarding moonphase complications; they're useless from a practicality standpoint but just look so very cool.

PS No judgement from me on the leopard Daytona - I REALLY love the 116595RBOW aka the "rainbow diamond" Daytona so who am I to pass comment!?

I figured we had to post at least something thread-related every now and then not to highjack :)

I'm with you on the ALS Odysseus, but on the other hand I'm 70% sure that will change once we have a chance to see it in real life on the wrist. Doesn't look all too wide after seeing some comparison shots next to other watches. Still not what I'd prefer but.. yeah, I don't know.. I'm still not a fan.. Something you have to see and feel IRL to appreciate I'm sure.

Same here about watch sizes .. 40mm is also the absolute limit for me and that pretty much leaves out most models (and many brands) that I have an interest in. IWC being one of them. I know they have a 40mm (or is it39?) Pilot - but with a dial that big, it looks too big on the wrist :-/ Same with the Rolex Explorer 1 (39mm), it looks a lot bigger on my wrist.. I really wanted one of those for a daily "beater", but then had to "settle" for an OP36 due to it just being a better size for me:
ZLkn5D.jpg

Absolutely no regrets though. This is one of my all-time favourite pieces as it just fits every single occasion you throw at it. Even better so than an Exp1 I believe.

You can certainly pull off a Daytona on OF! It's really not that different to your 126655. Price-wise they're also not that far apart. Speaking of Daytonas, the Rainbow Diamond is stunning, I'm with you on that and I'd rock it every day of the week, even at funerals (maybe not).

I just checked C24 to see what they're going for right now and found one at €399k which was currently... RESERVED :eek: Can only hope to one day be in that league ;s

Give me a Saxonia Annual Calendar and I'd be a very very happy guy. That is absolutely perfection. I honestly didn't know they did that in a 38,5mm. Truth be told, I haven't dared to look at or dream of any Lange outside of their entry models. One day though.. One day...

not to be bought for investment safety but just because, well, just look at them.

Hahaha, exactly!

I mean, at the moment I am certainly mindful of market value when I buy a watch. I couldn't get myself to buy anything that depreciates more than 15% out the door, so that honestly leaves A LOT of brands out for me. Buying a Lange however would be different - that would be a watch to be cherished and treasured for the rest of your life.

Well, unless I crack a £100m lottery, then I'll be throwing Lange's in the club.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fontaine

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
I figured we had to post at least something thread-related every now and then not to highjack :)

I'm with you on the ALS Odysseus, but on the other hand I'm 70% sure that will change once we have a chance to see it in real life on the wrist. Doesn't look all too wide after seeing some comparison shots next to other watches. Still not what I'd prefer but.. yeah, I don't know.. I'm still not a fan.. Something you have to see and feel IRL to appreciate I'm sure.

Same here about watch sizes .. 40mm is also the absolute limit for me and that pretty much leaves out most models (and many brands) that I have an interest in. IWC being one of them. I know they have a 40mm (or is it39?) Pilot - but with a dial that big, it looks too big on the wrist :-/ Same with the Rolex Explorer 1 (39mm), it looks a lot bigger on my wrist.. I really wanted one of those for a daily "beater", but then had to "settle" for an OP36 due to it just being a better size for me:
ZLkn5D.jpg

Absolutely no regrets though. This is one of my all-time favourite pieces as it just fits every single occasion you throw at it. Even better so than an Exp1 I believe.

You can certainly pull off a Daytona on OF! It's really not that different to your 126655. Price-wise they're also not that far apart. Speaking of Daytonas, the Rainbow Diamond is stunning, I'm with you on that and I'd rock it every day of the week, even at funerals (maybe not).

I just checked C24 to see what they're going for right now and found one at €399k which was currently... RESERVED :eek: Can only hope to one day be in that league ;s

Give me a Saxonia Annual Calendar and I'd be a very very happy guy. That is absolutely perfection. I honestly didn't know they did that in a 38,5mm. Truth be told, I haven't dared to look at or dream of any Lange outside of their entry models. One day though.. One day...

Hahaha, exactly!

I mean, at the moment I am certainly mindful of market value when I buy a watch. I couldn't get myself to buy anything that depreciates more than 15% out the door, so that honestly leaves A LOT of brands out for me. Buying a Lange however would be different - that would be a watch to be cherished and treasured for the rest of your life.

Well, unless I crack a £100m lottery, then I'll be throwing Lange's in the club.

I think we're ok but to any mods reading, if we stray too far off-topic, please discipline accordingly. :hehehe:

That OP 36 is LOVELY - usually not one for glossy black faced watches but oof... You're also winning with the baton markers. A man after my own heart!:clap_1:

The Daytona Rainbow is a true 'rock-star' piece. I don't know if I'd hold it for life but I'd love to have one, if only just for a while. And yeah, to be on a level to be able to acquire that piece is motivation to work harder...

It's true that many ALS's are actually not that big in diameter, just some of them are a little thick/chunky due to their complications but generally I find most of them to be very well proportioned (Odysseus pending; I've yet to see one but thus far I'm still not sure). Speaking of which, there are a few PP complications that get me in the zone too although overall I find myself drawn to the ALS aesthetic.

Which then leads me to ask you - 5270G vs Datograph? 5170 vs 1815 Chrono (who am I kidding? The 1815 all day!)? 5146 vs Langematik Perpetual? Etc etc

Reason being, if residuals matter to you then surely a PP (grand) complication piece would make more sense purely from the economic standpoint, no? Or are their watches not really your 'thing'?

By the way, I went back to my AD, and based on our similar wrist sizes, if you get a 126655, you're gonna need two 'E' bracelets (replace the 12 o'clock 'F') - the watch comes with an 'E' at 6 o'clock and an 'F' at 12 o'clock as standard.

Last edited:

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
I think we're ok but to any mods reading, if we stray too far off-topic, please discipline accordingly. :hehehe:

That OP 36 is LOVELY - usually not one for glossy black faced watches but oof... You're also winning with the baton markers. A man after my own heart!:clap_1:

The Daytona Rainbow is a true 'rock-star' piece. I don't know if I'd hold it for life but I'd love to have one, if only just for a while. And yeah, to be on a level to be able to acquire that piece is motivation to work harder...

It's true that many ALS's are actually not that big in diameter, just some of them are a little thick/chunky due to their complications but generally I find most of them to be very well proportioned (Odysseus pending; I've yet to see one but thus far I'm still not sure). Speaking of which, there are a few PP complications that get me in the zone too although overall I find myself drawn to the ALS aesthetic.

Which then leads me to ask you - 5270G vs Datograph? 5170 vs 1815 Chrono (who am I kidding? The 1815 all day!)? 5146 vs Langematik Perpetual? Etc etc

Reason being, if residuals matter to you then surely a PP (grand) complication piece would make more sense purely from the economic standpoint, no? Or are their watches not really your 'thing'?

By the way, I went back to my AD, and based on our similar wrist sizes, if you get a 126655, you're gonna need two 'E' bracelets (replace the 12 o'clock 'F') - the watch comes with an 'E' at 6 o'clock and an 'F' at 12 o'clock as standard.

Thanks mate, appreciate it - the black dial is really something in real life. It's not a glossy black one like the sub, there's some very dark grey sunburst to it that only shows in direct light, otherwise it's a dark glossy black colour. It's fantastic how they did it. I found a picture here where you can see the sunburst. Of course a picture alone never does a watch justice.

And no, I didn't pick up the Seamaster. Quite frankly, I was very underwhelmed by the quality on that one! :eek:

The picture really shows how the super-case and a larger dial makes the OP feel bigger. That's 36mm vs 39.8mm, almost look the same.

Lange, all day long. Nothing against Patek's but I kind of like to go off-track. That's why I didn't buy a Submariner, don't have an interest in owning one tbh. That's why I chose the Champagne dial on the Daytona. It's why I'm desperately searching for a mint condition 18238 President but here's the kicker, I want it in BARK finish. Etc. etc. Admittedly I have a few mainstream watches, but I really try not to just follow the herd.

Kind of like you with the YM I guess. That's also not a watch you see everyday and certainly not a watch that's on the top of "normal" collectors list when they're spending that kind of money :)

Reactions: Fontaine

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
Thanks mate, appreciate it - the black dial is really something in real life. It's not a glossy black one like the sub, there's some very dark grey sunburst to it that only shows in direct light, otherwise it's a dark glossy black colour. It's fantastic how they did it. I found a picture here where you can see the sunburst. Of course a picture alone never does a watch justice.

And no, I didn't pick up the Seamaster. Quite frankly, I was very underwhelmed by the quality on that one! :eek:

The picture really shows how the super-case and a larger dial makes the OP feel bigger. That's 36mm vs 39.8mm, almost look the same.

Lange, all day long. Nothing against Patek's but I kind of like to go off-track. That's why I didn't buy a Submariner, don't have an interest in owning one tbh. That's why I chose the Champagne dial on the Daytona. It's why I'm desperately searching for a mint condition 18238 President but here's the kicker, I want it in BARK finish. Etc. etc. Admittedly I have a few mainstream watches, but I really try not to just follow the herd.

Kind of like you with the YM I guess. That's also not a watch you see everyday and certainly not a watch that's on the top of "normal" collectors list when they're spending that kind of money :)

Now I've seen the sunburst finish in the dial on your OP, I may have to go and get one... My word, it just gets better and better!

I was offered a steel/gold Seamaster a while back by my local jeweller at a good price but passed; to me, they aren't the best aesthetically and I just... I don't know, find them uncomfortably big on the wrist?

I understand where you're coming from with the Lange vs PP thought process but I'd have thought if economics is a concern they'd have to be considered? I definitely prefer taking the 'off-track' route when it comes to watches, like you I'd never consider a Sub; there may be an SD 4000 in my future but that's as close as it will ever get (that being said, I also have a Tudor BB Harrods Edition so maybe I don't need a SD so much!).

My YM is a bit of a 'road less travelled' choice although it's a watch I've always wanted but if I'm really being honest, I'd be lying if (as I said before) I didn't have an ulterior motive in relation to getting that Panda Daytona ceramic on my wrist for retail price...

I'll be very interested to see what you pick up next - keep me posted! I'll make sure to do the same as I think there will be something interesting coming in spring...:heehee:

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
Now I've seen the sunburst finish in the dial on your OP, I may have to go and get one... My word, it just gets better and better!

I was offered a steel/gold Seamaster a while back by my local jeweller at a good price but passed; to me, they aren't the best aesthetically and I just... I don't know, find them uncomfortably big on the wrist?

I understand where you're coming from with the Lange vs PP thought process but I'd have thought if economics is a concern they'd have to be considered? I definitely prefer taking the 'off-track' route when it comes to watches, like you I'd never consider a Sub; there may be an SD 4000 in my future but that's as close as it will ever get (that being said, I also have a Tudor BB Harrods Edition so maybe I don't need a SD so much!).

My YM is a bit of a 'road less travelled' choice although it's a watch I've always wanted but if I'm really being honest, I'd be lying if (as I said before) I didn't have an ulterior motive in relation to getting that Panda Daytona ceramic on my wrist for retail price...

I'll be very interested to see what you pick up next - keep me posted! I'll make sure to do the same as I think there will be something interesting coming in spring...:heehee:

The 42mm Seamasters are too big for me. I know they're 42mm but they sit abnormally large for some reason. Don't know if it's just the size or somewhat odd caseshape, probably the latter.

Let's just say, once I'm dropping €51k on a Lange Calendar, economics shouldn't be a concern any more :) I'm however far from being at that point. Still young though, it might happen some day.

The only reason for getting a sub (for me) would be to have a pasta-timer (rotating bezel) AND a date. A YM 40 however takes care of that for me, so honestly I'd probably rather go down that route - also being an avid sailor and all, it's more fitting for me to wear something called a "Yachtmaster" :)

I have a BB58 Blue (well I have two actually, one to wear and one I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with. Chance had it two of my ADs called as it came out and I just ended up picking up both) - which covers a lot of scenarios but I need (want) something with a Bezel AND a date. I've been wanting that for a while actually. I just keep buying watches without a date for some reason.

The competition for getting watches at retail is FIERCE in these times. Seems like everybody with a little money is out buying Rolex. Covid playing a big part I'm sure. No spending's on Holidays etc. that money has to go towards something.. Add in all the media hype lately on luxury watches, social media etc.. I fear that even having dropped 40k in an AD, that's still just bottom feeder territory compared to their bigger fish. My AD said 2 years for a Blue Skydweller when I tried one on, declined to get on the list though - 42mm was too big. BEAUTIFUL piece though.

If you get a Panda, awesome. Just awesome. Is that what you're hinting at for the spring? :)

I might pick up something before that, well I'm quite sure of it... and after seeing yours it's probably going to be a YM 40, TT though. Let's see what's to come :)

Fontaine

Known Member
Gold Patron
13/10/18
The 42mm Seamasters are too big for me. I know they're 42mm but they sit abnormally large for some reason. Don't know if it's just the size or somewhat odd caseshape, probably the latter.

Let's just say, once I'm dropping €51k on a Lange Calendar, economics shouldn't be a concern any more :) I'm however far from being at that point. Still young though, it might happen some day.

The only reason for getting a sub (for me) would be to have a pasta-timer (rotating bezel) AND a date. A YM 40 however takes care of that for me, so honestly I'd probably rather go down that route - also being an avid sailor and all, it's more fitting for me to wear something called a "Yachtmaster" :)

I have a BB58 Blue (well I have two actually, one to wear and one I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with. Chance had it two of my ADs called as it came out and I just ended up picking up both) - which covers a lot of scenarios but I need (want) something with a Bezel AND a date. I've been wanting that for a while actually. I just keep buying watches without a date for some reason.

The competition for getting watches at retail is FIERCE in these times. Seems like everybody with a little money is out buying Rolex. Covid playing a big part I'm sure. No spending's on Holidays etc. that money has to go towards something.. Add in all the media hype lately on luxury watches, social media etc.. I fear that even having dropped 40k in an AD, that's still just bottom feeder territory compared to their bigger fish. My AD said 2 years for a Blue Skydweller when I tried one on, declined to get on the list though - 42mm was too big. BEAUTIFUL piece though.

If you get a Panda, awesome. Just awesome. Is that what you're hinting at for the spring? :)

I might pick up something before that, well I'm quite sure of it... and after seeing yours it's probably going to be a YM 40, TT though. Let's see what's to come :)

You're younger than me and I would sincerely hope you have done better than I have by the time you reach my age...

Yeah you're right - competition definitely is fierce currently, however the ADs can keep track of who's buying for keeps vs merely buying to flip (and yes, AD customer blacklists are a real thing) so there's a lot to be said for maintaining ones integrity with them. Currently in for a very similar amount to you with my local AD and they know I live locally too so I think there's a chance that I'll be smiled upon but who knows!? Just have to keep turning up every so often and see what happens. What's actually great is that they do pretty much all the major watch brands so I can speak to them about picking up AP/ALS/JLC/PP etc and it all counts toward my relationship with them - it doesn't have to be just Rolex.

I greatly respect the Skydweller, particularly as Rolex isn't known for pushing boundaries design-wise but I don't think I could ever do it; mainly because of size but that face... I don't know if I could live with it.

Spring purchase won't be the Daytona (unless one pops up at the AD, I refuse to spend 25k+ for a new steel Rolex otherwise), but I am eyeing a vintage piece... We shall see!:sFun_mischieviousbi

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
A 1940s Rima Chronograph housing a Lemania CH27 movement. The pusher feel on this is fantastic.

C12-D19-CC-3907-4765-B33-B-910-C9-A6161-FB.jpg

I wasn’t convinced when I first got this watch. It came on a reddish brown vintage NOS strap which is probably worth a pretty penny but just wasn’t right for the watch. The dial is a green/gold colour depending on the light, so I initially put it on a green suede strap... but still didn’t fall for it!

Then Bulang & Sons started offering vintage style pigskin straps, which I’ve always loved but are impossible to get hold of, so I had to get one!

8-AE0-B4-DB-0-C65-483-D-A3-CD-688-EB114-BD42.jpg

I think it’s pretty much perfect, and for the first time I’ve really found myself falling for this watch with this strap!!

261-E1-A38-258-C-426-B-A825-DD9-CAE40-FDB6.jpg

It’s a fantastic watch, very unusual dial and interesting stepped case with slim lugs, and of course that superb movement. It’s 32mm but wears really well and I prefer small vintage watches so it’s perfect for me.

Let’s see if it can be a keeper!

DC

Reactions: nipe and KJ2020