• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT Master 16750

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
I've been eyeing this genuine 16750 with all paperwork. Really what I've been after is a 1675. What I am wondering is if the 16750 is as collectible at the 1675? Note that this is not a flattering picture, it's just the only one I have on my phone. In person it is a very pretty watch, with nice, but not over the top wear.
ec27dadb7c7940d4a841255e913171be.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

PaulyWalnuts

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
15/11/13
USA
The 1675 is indeed more collectible, and will continue to be, but if you find a nice, original matte dialed 16750 in good shape, not over polished, etc. it'll appreciate in years to come [emoji41][emoji106] go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
the 1675 pepsi is one of the most desired must haves for the starting vintage rolex collector. one of the fastest sell-out specimen whenever hodinkee puts it up for sale in their shop....

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Thank you gents for your response. Going to have a look at the 16750 tomorrow. From the pics, all the paperwork appears to be present. It will be interesting to see if it's been tampered with. I'm far from an expert, but, after being on RWI for 6+ months, I've learned a ton!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The 1675 is more sought after, and if this were a matte dial, then it would be a great find. If the price is right and the watch is in good condition then I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 16750 - it's still a great watch.

liq2

Known Member
4/12/16
I'd just say that if you had your heart set on a 1675 then to wait for the right opportunity to get one. With sites like watchrecon you can see just a ton of 1675's coming up every few days.

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Side note: Trying on the 16750, and later, the 16710 gens made me appreciate even more the build quality of the TC subs. Also, why members here are so passionate in the creation of their reps. True artists here at RWI.

The 16750 is from the original owner, well-documented, but well-worn. Looks great, IMHO, but plenty of scars, some refer to as character. I know a lot of people covet that, and I understand. It does have the matte dial, but, I'm just not sure that it is vintage enough for me to embrace its almost rugged austerity.

For $800 less I found a minty (recently factory serviced) 16710. Two very different watches.

I guess I've come to realize that I like the idea of a vintage watch, but, pushing 50, I myself am rapidly becoming vintage. While much of what I own is vintage, I've never purchased vintage anything.

I did like, what appeared to be, a wider bezel on the 16750. Also, digging the 16710 with its modern sapphire crystal contrasting against the aged look of the steel bezel insert. I suppose I ought to triangulate my options and check out a 1675, in person. That could be my grail.

Side note: Also digging the new Explorer I 39mm. I saw it there and had to try it on. So clean!! I think I need a second job. Or maybe there's another rep in my future...

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Just bought the 16710 yesterday morning. Funny how things work. Set out to find a 1675 but fell in love with the 16710. This particular example had been freshly factory serviced by Rolex (or whomever their service center is). In the 24 hours I have owned it, it has not lost a single second! Talk about calibration! According to the document, the service center also replaced the crown and bezel insert. (Wish I could have seen the original insert.)

I spent some time comparing the gen GMT to my TC subs. (I know subs and GMT's are not the same watch) But, wow, did TC nail it. TC's clasp logo is a little sharper and it is missing the model number on the bracelet, but those are about the only differences I could see - or feel for that matter.

I wonder if the duller clasp logo on my gen is from its recent polishing? (It is 15 years old). The V7 TC was more chamfered than the gen (is 'chamfered' even a word?). Actually, the V7 looked better in that respect. Take note Rolex.

I know, for the most part, GMT's are bi directional and subs, uni directional, but the TC V7 really nailed the feel. Actually, the comparison made the rotation of the V6 bezel feel a little sub-par.

A side-by-side-by-side with my V6 TC, V7 TC and gen, did reveal the difference in hands on the V6. Also, the SEL on the bracelet used for the V6 (it is a little too steep) - I can see how the V7 is more accurate.

I know people replace the crystals on their TCs, but, to my eyes, I could see no difference. Also, could see no difference between 904 and 316 steel. Just my humble opinion. I love my GMT but, honestly, if TC were to make a 16710, I might consider selling my gen.
QUESTION: Regarding the bezel inserts. I know people go through great lengths to replace the insert on their TC's with genuine. I believe this mostly has to do with the pearl. How bad would it be to replace my genuine Pepsi on the GMT with a fake Coke? I only ask because it seems it would be harder to spot a fake GMT (16710) insert than it would a fake Sub insert. I would, obviously, keep the real insert.

On a side note, the new 39mm Explorer looks terrific! Any recommendations on the best rep?

69614636944a5ded0ce8cfdb6f860e55.jpg
759fd7d188da20446d24bce31566cb69.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Congrats on the GMT - great looking watch ! Why do you want to put a rep Coke insert in there ? - why not buy a gen coke insert - they're not overly expensive - $100 - $250 depending on condition and and desirability - fat font, fade , NOS etc.

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Thank you Tripdog. Probably comes down to me not knowing where to look. Because the watch has a fresh factory finish, I'd like to start out with a factory fresh insert. My quick scan on the 'bay resulted in a lot of faded inserts. I might not even swap it out but thought it would be pretty cool to have the option.

I'm sure it's like anything else - a little research, a little time and patience and I will find exactly what I'm looking for. Would love to find a period correct NOS (2002).

It's funny, on the itemized authorized factory service receipt it shows the service at 800 bucks and the replacement bezel at 40 bucks. 40 bucks! I'll take 10 at that price!

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Thank you Tripdog. Probably comes down to me not knowing where to look. Because the watch has a fresh factory finish, I'd like to start out with a factory fresh insert. My quick scan on the 'bay resulted in a lot of faded inserts. I might not even swap it out but thought it would be pretty cool to have the option.

I'm sure it's like anything else - a little research, a little time and patience and I will find exactly what I'm looking for. Would love to find a period correct NOS (2002).

It's funny, on the itemized authorized factory service receipt it shows the service at 800 bucks and the replacement bezel at 40 bucks. 40 bucks! I'll take 10 at that price!

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska

Trip is right, but you are in the right place, check with @occb2 Rob had a few gen coke inserts for 16710's still in the Rolex blister package. Good Luck, as you can see in my avatar I am a fan of the Coke over the Pepsi! LOL

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

I reckon they fiddle with the numbers a little, putting more onto labor costs than parts - try to find a new in blister pack Rolex insert for less than $200 on any site, Ebay, TRF etc - you'll be looking a long time . . .