• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

It's time for a Rolex - a few questions

Cavemax

28/5/16
Helle everyone

As a Swiss guy I always wore Swiss watches, mostly RADO. But I am seeking for something new, even more extraordinary. I decided that I should get a Rolex.
My favourites are the Submariner (can't decide which I like more: the 116610lv-0002 or the 116610ln-001) and the Daytona (the new one from Baselworld 2016; 116500ln-0001).

But I have some questions:
1. Do the bracelets get easily damaged/ scratched? And are scratched easy to polish?
2. Something I don't like about the Cosmograph Daytona is, that the second Stands still (there are some chronographs that have a permanently moving second hand)
Would it damage the movement if I activated the chronograph permanently?

Best regards

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

liq2

Known Member
4/12/16
Any rolex with PCL (polished center links) is going to get scratched. All stainless like on the Sub will just hold up better over time. That being said if you buy from an AD they often times will allow you to come in for a polish once a year. Given the strength of the Rolex steel, you'd be hard pressed to scratch it so deep that it cannot be buffed out. Running a chrono all day is of course going to give you extra wear, but part of the Rolex iconic movements is their ability to last. They may not be the most robust of all time, but they will stand up to the test. You may just shave some time off of your service intervals. Personally, I wouldn't run it 24/7.

zumafan69

Known Member
13/7/16
The Daytona's chronograph employs a vertical clutch. This allows for more consistent energy transfer (i.e. better timekeeping) when the chronograph is running when compared to horizontal clutch mechanisms. It is also less "jolting" for the movement to start the chrono in a movement with a vertical clutch. Horizontal clutch chronos tend to wear faster due to the way the gear teeth mesh. If you are looking for a robust chronograph, the Daytona would be an excellent choice for you.

racing24

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/17
the answers above pretty much says it all. here is my 2 cents to add:
1. I have both 116610LV and 116520, the scratch on the bracelet of the sub is very visible. but since it is unpolished, and I used it as an utility watch, I kind of like the scratches. the bracelet of my Daytona is almost in perfect condition, I only wear it to work and under dress shirt. there are only some micro scratches, can't see them unless you hold the watch next to your eyes.
2. running chronograph 24/7 is allowed, the movement will be able to handle it. But, expect your service interval to be reduced in half. from my AD and I quote "why would you want to run it 24/7". LOL

BTW, not sure where you are located, but there is a LONG waiting list for the new Daytona worldwide. so, go with the sub for now.