• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it true, that rolex service changes parts of your gen Watch?

gagaspam

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/16
I've pinned this thread, with any luck it may save some folk the heartache.

iyeah, my thread got sticky, what an honour.
iMXBfNh.png

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
^^ :clap_1:

idontgrillonwed

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
21/5/14
As much as I love the Crown, it is really amazing how long it takes her to catch up with some things like this. All of you watch, in 8-10 years they will have an option to leave vintage watches alone during a service, name it "The Collector's Package," and charge an extra fee. Then they will act as if they are the only ones doing it, and the average Rolex owner will eat it up.
Good discussion guys.

ddubyat

16/10/13
didn't know any of this, great info .. just had a friend send in a rollie and I bet he didnt know either, but will soon

luisin

14/1/15
Very nice info, currently have a relative who is repairing his submariner, I will comment it

pavalov

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/6/17
Yes, Rolex always exchange "defective" parts for newer ones. The reason for that is that they have a 2 year warranty they have to give once servicing a watch. Makes sense but not a good idea to me.

I just took mine to their service centre and they want to change the dial and hands because it's not original from that model. No way I would approve the service. My watch is a 5500 dated 1969 with explorer dial, which they say they've never heard about. Weirdos. I've heard about other 5500 Explorers which were franken with AK dials by Rolex.

coyote77

Known Member
14/7/15
I have same problem with my 16800, they changed it to 16610 dial [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

patrol

Looking Around
26/10/16
Also watch out -- being a noob in the vintage Rolex watch world-- it's filled with a lot of shady people. As they say, buy the dealer, not the watch. Well actually they say the same thing in the rep world too lol. But really- even though you pay a little more, with the experienced vintage dealers you will be much less likely to get burned.

D

d4m.test

I've never really understood this - the arrogance of RSC. Apparently the customer has no say in what happens to his valuable vintage watch - an unpolished 1680 red with original crystal, dial, crown insert etc, in good condition with box & papers is worth $15,000 easily - more if the somebody really wants it. If RSC changes out that dial, the insert, crown, crystal and polishes the case the monetary value is divided by 2 ...

I read on TRF one time a guy asking for advice. His watch was due for a service, it came originally with a polished link bracelet, he didn't like it as it was a scratch magnet so brushed the surface himself.
He knew that if he sent the watch head on it's bracelet that RSC would re-polish it, even if he expressly asked them not too, he also knew that if he sent just the watch head that RSC would ask him to forward on the bracelet before they would service the watch...
For a company that has mastered so many aspects of business I find it incredible that they have so little respect for the wishes of the customer.

it makes me cringe how they do what they want. they truly do have rolexes to a sellers market. i suppose it would devalue the brand significantly otherwise.

D

d4m.test

You never really "own" a Rolex, You just have it on loan, it always belongs to the company.
Here´s a guy that is really happy with his "RSC-ruined" 1963 pcg 1675 ex-all-original - it really looks +- like any other new watch now.
Even the Bart-dial has gone (well, somebody had already done a terrible lume-job on it)
[/URL]

:hehehe:

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
I have my grandfather's Swiss Army knife from the early 50's. Victonox would make it like new for free but can not assure me the sides and frame would be left alone.
I would love to have it restored without replacing anything and keep using it.

Sent from the RWI App

Rumsfeld

Known Member
11/12/16
I received -93 16600 with tritium dial and hands, also it has never been serviced. I was planning on taking it to rsc... I did call them and ask if the service guys change tritium parts to luminova, but the young lady who answered, didn’t know what tritium was. I’ll take the watch there for evaluation and if they will replace them, I’ll take it elsewhere.

Reactions: hblackiston

RobLive7

Known Member
28/10/15
Sydney, Australia
Yes - as an example an original bezel which is faded will be swapped and they keep the old one / you can't get it back.
You can however specify you don't want it changed however they may then not service as they wont attach their warranty to something that does not leave
As good as new.

That's actually almost unbelievable!
Wouldn't the watchmakers in the Rolex service centre respect the horology of the vintage models enough to maintain the integrity and authenticity? Wow.

Sent from the RWI App

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
Yeah the local Rolex dealer to me have a bunch of old Datejust ,Subs and AirKings etc and every watch looks like brand new

shame..

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
That's actually almost unbelievable!
Wouldn't the watchmakers in the Rolex service centre respect the horology of the vintage models enough to maintain the integrity and authenticity? Wow.

Sent from the RWI App

Most ( ignorant ) people will be hugely impressed when their watch comes back like its brand new out of the showroom unfortunately

Reactions: RobLive7

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
It’s not like that these days.

They will ask you before they swap out your tritium dial/hands etc and quote you a price before they proceed.

You can also specify your requirements before you send your watch to them. I recently had a 1580 serviced by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk