• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it true, that rolex service changes parts of your gen Watch?

gagaspam

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/16
A friend told me, that if you have a vintage rolex (for example a SD from 1981) you dont have to bring it to rolex for maintenance, because rolex will change individual vintage parts with new ones.
is that true?

Kind regards

innocenti

Renowned Member
16/8/16
Yes - as an example an original bezel which is faded will be swapped and they keep the old one / you can't get it back.
You can however specify you don't want it changed however they may then not service as they wont attach their warranty to something that does not leave
As good as new.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Yes, this is unfortunately true, what would be a highly collectible and valuable Rolex can loose a great deal of it's value when they replace original parts with new production.
Bezel inserts, dials crowns crystals etc will be replaced with service parts - which often only have a passing resemblance to the original part.
You are not 'obliged' to have your watch serviced by Rolex - you can go else where - an independent Rolex trained watch smith will do the same standard of work, but will be much more willing to listen to what you want done to the watch.

gagaspam

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/16
boah. thats strange. so you can lose worth in your watch.
good to know. thank you.

How about watches on chrono24.com? So you have to verify (together with genuine-check) that all parts are original if you buy a rolex there.

sorry for my noob-questions.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The internal parts - the movement, need to be changed and don't really have an influence on the value - it's the external visible parts that make a big difference to the watches worth.

Any vintage Rolex watches for sale, which have been serviced by Rolex, will probably have 'service parts' on them - it's up to you the buyer to check, visually - most sellers will not bother explaining - most won't even know what's been changed.

All this only really applies to vintage watches - lets say pre 1980's - more modern stuff has not yet achieved 'collectors' status.

Reactions: MagicUser

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
They will most definitely do this - sometimes even if you ask them not to. That goes for all brands, really. Omega does it. They all do. I had a big fight over my 5513 sub because they assured me that the lume on the hands and dial was fragile and might get loose and "fly dirt around" in the case causing damage. I had to push back very hard for them to not replace them "for sentimental reasons" I wanted it all original. They agreed, then when I got the watch back, they'd done it anyway and replaced the parts with a service dial and service hands. They'd also swapped out the crown with one slightly different in appearance and replaced the bezel - none of which I'd asked for. I had no recourse - and I was working for a Rolex AD at the time! They just said I was "lucky" that I was getting the employee discount because there was "so much wrong". /sigh

Reactions: axel.gold

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
They will most definitely do this - sometimes even if you ask them not to. That goes for all brands, really. Omega does it. They all do. I had a big fight over my 5513 sub because they assured me that the lume on the hands and dial was fragile and might get loose and "fly dirt around" in the case causing damage. I had to push back very hard for them to not replace them "for sentimental reasons" I wanted it all original. They agreed, then when I got the watch back, they'd done it anyway and replaced the parts with a service dial and service hands. They'd also swapped out the crown with one slightly different in appearance and replaced the bezel - none of which I'd asked for. I had no recourse - and I was working for a Rolex AD at the time! They just said I was "lucky" that I was getting the employee discount because there was "so much wrong". /sigh

I've never really understood this - the arrogance of RSC. Apparently the customer has no say in what happens to his valuable vintage watch - an unpolished 1680 red with original crystal, dial, crown insert etc, in good condition with box & papers is worth $15,000 easily - more if the somebody really wants it. If RSC changes out that dial, the insert, crown, crystal and polishes the case the monetary value is divided by 2 ...

I read on TRF one time a guy asking for advice. His watch was due for a service, it came originally with a polished link bracelet, he didn't like it as it was a scratch magnet so brushed the surface himself.
He knew that if he sent the watch head on it's bracelet that RSC would re-polish it, even if he expressly asked them not too, he also knew that if he sent just the watch head that RSC would ask him to forward on the bracelet before they would service the watch...
For a company that has mastered so many aspects of business I find it incredible that they have so little respect for the wishes of the customer.

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
I've never really understood this - the arrogance of RSC. Apparently the customer has no say in what happens to his valuable vintage watch - an unpolished 1680 red with original crystal, dial, crown insert etc, in good condition with box & papers is worth $15,000 easily - more if the somebody really wants it. If RSC changes out that dial, the insert, crown, crystal and polishes the case the monetary value is divided by 2 ...

I read on TRF one time a guy asking for advice. His watch was due for a service, it came originally with a polished link bracelet, he didn't like it as it was a scratch magnet so brushed the surface himself.
He knew that if he sent the watch head on it's bracelet that RSC would re-polish it, even if he expressly asked them not too, he also knew that if he sent just the watch head that RSC would ask him to forward on the bracelet before they would service the watch...
For a company that has mastered so many aspects of business I find it incredible that they have so little respect for the wishes of the customer.

Standard Rolex service is an assembly line focused on the average customer with the average luxury watch who wants it back quickly "looking like a new watch out of the case"

Most of our customers at the AD wanted exactly that - updating - because who wants to be seen driving last decades Mercedes or a beat up Sub. Your friends at the Club might think you couldn't afford a new one. ;-)

If you have something special along with time and money to burn though, Rolex in Geneva does have a Heritage Department that will remake (by hand) your parts in need of repair. Be prepared to spend upwards of 10k Euros and wait a year though. And hang onto your receipts because even with them you won't get your old parts back - and the "like new" crafted bezel inserts won't be "aged" like a modder here might do. They will look fresh (like you pulled it off a good rep or bought a Bamford Heritage). Without receipts your value will go down even more. With them, the "restored watch" will have more appeal to the right buyer.

http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/?product_cat=heritage

Because my goals differ greatly from what the branded repair services wish to produce, I'd never take my vintage watches to one ever again. In hindsight I would rather have my ref. 5513 non-working, in pieces, wearing battle scars, in a glass display case than let Rolex touch it. But now its been frankened with service parts? Meh. Whats lost is lost. But I send mine to Bob Ridley these days anyway. At least he communicates and you decide, with his guidance, what approach to take.

http://www.watchmakers.com

Reactions: Procurator

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Standard Rolex service is an assembly line focused on the average customer with the average luxury watch who wants it back quickly "looking like a new watch out of the case"

Most of our customers at the AD wanted exactly that - updating - because who wants to be seen driving last decades Mercedes or a beat up Sub. Your friends at the Club might think you couldn't afford a new one. ;-)

If you have something special along with time and money to burn though, Rolex in Geneva does have a Heritage Department that will remake (by hand) your parts in need of repair. Be prepared to spend upwards of 10k Euros and wait a year though. And hang onto your receipts because even with them you won't get your old parts back - and the "like new" crafted bezel inserts won't be "aged" like a modder here might do. They will look fresh (like you pulled it off a good rep or bought a Bamford Heritage). Without receipts your value will go down even more. With them, the "restored watch" will have more appeal to the right buyer.

http://www.bamfordwatchdepartment.com/?product_cat=heritage

Because my goals differ greatly from what the branded repair services wish to produce, I'd never take my vintage watches to one ever again. In hindsight I would rather have my ref. 5513 non-working, in pieces, wearing battle scars, in a glass display case than let Rolex touch it. But now its been frankened with service parts? Meh. Whats lost is lost. But I send mine to Bob Ridley these days anyway. At least he communicates and you decide, with his guidance, what approach to take.

http://www.watchmakers.com

The first part of that explanation I can understand - for the average customer it makes good business sense. But Rolex is never the less unreasonably rigid in their attitude - there's a lot of people who've learnt the hard way and no longer send their treasured watches to Rolex for service - not good business practice.

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
Before you know it you'll be looking at vintage Rolex prices on line ! [emoji23]
Because you are loaded! Money coming out of all orifices of your body! Bill Gates loaded!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

You never really "own" a Rolex, You just have it on loan, it always belongs to the company.
Here´s a guy that is really happy with his "RSC-ruined" 1963 pcg 1675 ex-all-original - it really looks +- like any other new watch now.
Even the Bart-dial has gone (well, somebody had already done a terrible lume-job on it)

Reactions: Nikzav

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
You never really "own" a Rolex, You just have it on loan, it always belongs to the company.
Here´s a guy that is really happy with his "RSC-ruined" 1963 pcg 1675 ex-all-original - it really looks +- like any other new watch now.
Even the Bart-dial has gone (well, somebody had already done a terrible lume-job on it)

The video is a great example of the typical customer:

"I spent over $1000 to take a family heirloom that told the story of my Dad's life and sanitized it to the point everything memorable about it has been erased - along with $5000 in vintage value - and that makes me really happy"

:D :D :D

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
The video is a great example of the typical customer:

"I spent over $1000 to take a family heirloom that told the story of my Dad's life and sanitized it to the point everything memorable about it has been erased - along with $5000 in vintage value - and that makes me really happy"

:D :D :D
But they did throw in a bag and a watch towel...... I mean, think of the added value that brings....... What a bummer!

• Wow
Reactions: Blackieray

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
But they did throw in a bag and a watch towel...... I mean, think of the added value that brings....... What a bummer!

To me, sending your heirloom watch to the manufacturer for "reconditioning" is like sending your grandfather's circa 1939 hammer (the one he built the family home with) to Sears and getting back a brand new hammer.

Yay!

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
To me, sending your heirloom watch to the manufacturer for "reconditioning" is like sending your grandfather's circa 1939 hammer (the one he built the family home with) to Sears and getting back a brand new hammer.

Yay!
Nice analogy!!! Perfect!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
^^ :thumbup: