• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any love for wooden watches? My Treehut Watch Review

Conquerer

27/5/15
Over the weekend I was searching amazon for Seikos just to see what models were out there and I stumbled upon some wooden watches that immediately caught my eye. One brand that stuck out to me was Treehut and they had a bunch of really interesting models. Lots to choose from whether you want it on a leather strap or a wooden bracelet. Check out their website if you have any interest:
http://treehut.co/collections/wooden-bamboo-leather-watches

First of all, I purchased off amazon.ca which had much cheaper prices than their own site, or even amazon.com (for some reason) and the limited selection on ebay. $60 CAD shipped for strap models and $90 CAD for wooden bracelet models. A wooden bracelet just seemed so damn cool so I had to get one. Ultimately I went for the Zebrawood and Ebony model and it arrived yesterday so let's get into the pics.

68R7NrM.jpg

6MEkPur.jpg

tTxt8yz.jpg

Q2RGBVt.jpg

92GIuit.jpg

My first impressions were that it looks beautiful and obviously has a very original look, being made almost completely out of wood, other than parts that "woodn't" work if wood, like the clasp, hands, crown, movement (quartz), etc. The pics above were after sizing it and taking out a few links. I have to say though, sizing it was a complete bitch. There are flathead screws on each side of the links (just like a normal watch only the last bunch of links can be removed). Instead of unscrewing them one after the other, you literally need two flathead screwdrivers.

You put one in one side and awkwardly hold it there as you insert one on the other side and turn it loose. Then you can remove the small screw on one side and the other is a long pin sized screw like in a Rolex or Tudor. I first removed two links on one side no problem and one on the other gave me trouble and then the last one just wouldn't come out... I could turn both sides but it wouldn't come out no matter what. Luckily the clasp connecting link has a regular bracelet pin so I just hammered it out to get off that last link and just didn't use it again. But anyway, I after all that work it was sized and it looked great on the wrist.

KiPk89J.jpg

obBiu5o.jpg

Q9URQGO.jpg

QuKiMGS.jpg

Pretty stunning IMO. Love that dark and light wooden mix on the bracelet and watch case. Also it's light as hell since it's literally wood. Inside it's got a Miyota quartz, and if you noticed it has lume as well. It's not great but it does work -- kinda like a lower end rep which it's cheaper than anyway.

jgj6EiH.jpg

ZFLZwSq.jpg

Over the course of 24+ hours the quartz movement has been solid. Haven't lost or gained a second. And if you didn't notice it's a rather big watch. 45mm case size on my 6.5" wrist. For comparison here it is next to my biggest and smallest watches, 45mm CrPO and 40mm Yachtmaster. And it sitting with the rest of the collection.

3jRB9DM.jpg

YVz33NV.jpg

Only had it a day so far but I think it's great. It feels very different than a normal watch (gen/rep) though. Looks a little strange with the rest of my collection lol.

So what do you guys think? Looks cool or nah? If you're interested I suggest you check out their site to find which model you like best. I strongly recommend the wooden bracelet version since I think it looks awesome. And also I read some reviews about the strap versions and apparently it's rather cheap and uncomfortable. Saw a pic someone posted and the strap looked very worn at the buckle as well, so it probably won't last too long, but obviously it's your choice.

Getting back to the prices, like I said for some reason I found much lower prices on amazon.ca. So if you're in Canada that's your go to. Not sure if they'll ship outside Canada though... I noticed they won't ship to Canada if you try to buy one off amazon.com. But either way you can still order off their site for a bit of a higher price. And you can also add an engraving on the back which is a nice touch. Works nicely as a gift too, especially if you have a friend/significant other who may be into watches. Loving mine so far.

Reactions: rabl253

christobear

22/10/15
I like the grain on yours but most of the ones I have seen looked cheap. I have handled them before and like you said, they don't feel like a normal watch at all, and not in a good way to me.

Not a watch I would wear daily, but I would wear one. It's different and most people will probably think it's unique and cool.

Conquerer

27/5/15
It's definitely a little strange. Not just the physical part of it, but the spirit. It's kind of like a watch with no soul in a way. I don't really mean that in a negative way though -- it's just different.

But I agree, it's not something I would wear daily or even a lot either. It's more of a novelty watch than anything else. Just a cool watch to wear every now and then when it seems to fit the occasion. If you ever want to wear something very unique it's a great choice. It made me think earlier, it'd be a great cottage watch lol. Plus it works out better for a watch like this to be a quartz IMO. Just throw it on the wrist and don't worry about it.

wahidch

Looking Around
27/1/20
Great experience from riglook wooden watches

in 2017 at my wedding I was looking for wooden watches I checked lost different companies after my research i found these folks. i Got my wood watches at much lower prices and best quality. Then i decided so i bought for her and loved it. https://www.riglook.com/collections/wooden-watches

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Sevenfriday Woody in store shot.
cd1cc73727b2fe880e7de28d803879c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
Nice watch, I'd be afraid of beating up the wood too much, water damage, etc... Also kind of big lug to lug for a 6.5" wrist IMO. But if it makes you happy that's all that matters!

Big dial77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/1/20
Sevenfriday Woody in store shot.
cd1cc73727b2fe880e7de28d803879c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Looks cool, it’s the sort of thing I would admire but probably not buy. I wonder what issues a wooden case would create with regards to the internals, in the long term, assuming it’s not just a vanity layer.