• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watches of the Russian super-elite

sb56667

Horology Curious
5/4/11
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all, I spend most of my time at RWG, but thought folks here might get a kick out of it too.

Feeling nostalgic for my years as a reporter in Moscow, I was cruising Russian news sites last night, and came across this great and fairly hilarious online feature from 2009 by Vedomosti (basically the Russian Wall Street Journal) on the Swiss watches of Russia's political elite: http://www.vedomosti...6716/6745#title

The funniest part is that with one exception, it doesn't include any of Russia's official billionaire oligarchs, whom you'd expect to see wearing super-luxury watches -- it's largely cabinet members and rural governors who have official annual salaries that are in the sub-$50k range.

You can page through without knowing Russian -- watch names and prices are in English (pics run from least to most expensive) -- but here are a few highlights:

6737_ns.jpg

President Putin with his $3400 IWC Mark XV (he's got MUCH more expensive ones in his collection, but I was amused by this because I just got a Mark XVI rep)...

6751_ns.jpeg

First Vice-PM Igor Shuvalov with his $6500 PAM, which he wears just to warm RWG members' hearts...

6746_ns.jpeg

Presidential advisor Vyacheslav "The Grey Cardinal" Surkov with his $9300 Piaget...

6738_ns.jpg

Putin classing it up with a $10500 Blancpain...

6725_ns.jpg

Former economic advisor German Gref with his $14k Breguet...

6731_ns.jpg

One-upped by former Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin and his $15k Breguet...

6719_ns.jpg

Duma member Konstantin Kosachyov with a classic PP Calatrava, $16k...

6747_ns.jpeg

Far East regional governor Alexander Khloponin with his trusty Rolex Daytona ($27k)...

6752_ns.jpg

Head of the state railways Vladimir Yakunin sporting his $31k Lange...

6734_ns.jpg

PM-turned-President-turned-PM again Dmitry Medvedev with his $32k Breguet Classique Moon Phase...

6740_ns.jpeg

And at last, Deputy Moscow Mayor Vladimir Resin showing off his $425k platinum GreubelForsey Double Tourbillon.

Russia being the No. 1 oil producer in the world and one of the most corrupt places on the planet, there's no point in asking where these gentlemen got their money. What I want to know is, how did they all wind up with such good taste? :huh:

And also -- think anybody's got a rep on? :lol:

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Lol... can you imagine the deputy mayor of New York being able to sport a Greubel Forsey?

PKNutsy

Renowned Member
26/3/12
Fantastic! especially the guy at the end! $425 beautiful watch. Didnt realise Mayors get paid that much.....i wonder what kind of watch Boris Johnson has! lol

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
maybe their all wearing reps???? Any of you TD's shipping watches to these guys?

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Very interesting, especially the guy with the $400k + watch.

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
So wats the deal with deputy mayor guy. He has 1.4 million in just 2 watches and hes just a deputy. So wats Putins net worth?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
6731_ns.jpg

Classic enamel is one of my favorite watches of all time!

breguet2.jpg

SMP_lover

Strap mastermind
Vendor (Strap Maker)
13/12/10
So wats the deal with deputy mayor guy. He has 1.4 million in just 2 watches and hes just a deputy. So wats Putins net worth?

some press agency estimated it unofficially, it was something near $40 billion mark

and by the way the deputy guy when asked about the value of his wathces, said he didn't knew they were worth so much, he said he will gladly sell them for the price quoted in the press.