• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Getting an inexpensive-ish watch for my father inlaw, help deciding.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
It's going to be a surprise gift for him before we move the to big DFW. I dont want to ask anyone in the family, because they're all women(enough said, right?). I've narrowed it down to a couple, which should I get. If it matters, he is a well seasoned gentleman in his mid 50's.

BTW, if you have any other suggestions, please do post. I want to keep it under $400. I was initially going to keep my limit under $1000, but he doesnt care about watches as much as I do, so it would be unnecessary to get him something in that range.

Bulova Marine Star Chrono
$(KGrHqN,!qkE+nMHbuZOBP6OJME)LQ~~60_57.JPG

Bulova Marine Star Auto
$(KGrHqN,!ncE-)0Pu-DqBP7NPtn7!!~~60_57.JPG

Bulova Precisionist
$(KGrHqN,!p8E8Wk0Jj1QBPY3+8S!Sg~~60_3.JPG

Citizen Ecodrive Titanium
$(KGrHqJ,!hIE9s0UfRRZBP7Ze9qQe!~~60_57.JPG

Tissot V8 Chrono
IMG_1983.JPG

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
^

I like that, but according to my wife, HE won't. I should have been specific, my bad.

I am looking for a full SS watch including bracelet, no leather. And most likely no black dial, eventhough I included one.

Dssd man

Renowned Member
2/11/11
Instead of any of them I would get him a day date 2 off seed
Beautiful watches
He's under supermirrors or something (trusted dealers) ;)
But that a just my opionon

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Instead of any of them I would get him a day date 2 off seed
Beautiful watches
He's under supermirrors or something (trusted dealers) ;)
But that a just my opionon

Believe me, I would much prefer to get him a nice rep. But unless I can get him a nice quartz, I dont want to stick him with a burden of trying to service it, when the time should come.

And the old folks in the retirement community he lives in wouldnt understand. I dont want him to be outcast in the community because he has a "fake" watch on. Old people can be ruthless because they have nothing better to do than drive around in golf carts and gossip. And yes, I dont have to tell him its a rep... but then I dont think the family will believe that I just gave him a $20k watch either.

templeton

19/11/11
Depends on his lifestyle, some are sporty, some are more elegant. If he dresses well, he could pull the Precisionist off for daily wear. It's beautiful and sophisticated without being pretentious. Even if he only keeps it around for special occasions, it's still a great gift.

cceddlekid

26/6/11
Here are my picks

1.)Seiko Men's SNA 589
2.)Casio General Men's watch Edifice Multihand EF-324D-7AV
3.)Nixon 51-30 Tide white A057-100
4.)Nixon 51-30 chrono matte white

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
Bulova Precisionist is pretty sweet - quartz yet sweeping, and is accurate to 10 seconds a year (or so the sales blurb goes) :)

Batteries apparently only last 3 years not 8, but that's hardly a major expense!

I do wish they'd AR the crystal but I guess we can't have everything... :lol: