• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Speedking

mark2828

Renowned Member
4/11/16
UK

Here is my gen Rolex Speedking from 1961

it’s manual wind , acrylic crystal , 31mm , 17mm lug width

It’s on a Rolex expanding rivet bracelet dated from 1969

its one of my most worn watches and although the Speedking line is long gone it has a great backstory of being given out to officers who were prisoners of war during WW2

Steve McQueen wore a version in the great escape

I’m not sure why the model doesn’t get more love but i am guessing it is the size by modern standards is tiny !

Reactions: SDtime

Watch-addict

Renowned Member
23/5/15
U.K

Here is my gen Rolex Speedking from 1961

it’s manual wind , acrylic crystal , 31mm , 17mm lug width

It’s on a Rolex expanding rivet bracelet dated from 1969

its one of my most worn watches and although the Speedking line is long gone it has a great backstory of being given out to officers who were prisoners of war during WW2

Steve McQueen wore a version in the great escape

I’m not sure why the model doesn’t get more love but i am guessing it is the size by modern standards is tiny !

She's a beauty!! Enjoy and wear in good health :)

Reactions: mark2828

automatico

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/10/11
Speedking! Not many of them around now.
I still have the Speedking I bought new in 1972 (model 6430) on a leather strap with signed buckle. I paid $120USD out the door from a Rolex AD but I do not remember if that was the list price or not.

"Is this for sale?"

I see one for sale now and then at a reasonable price, so it pays to look around. My guess is one with no (or very little) case corrosion and good dial/hands will go for $1000 to $2000...bracelet models selling toward the higher end. I looked at Speedking 'sold items' on eBay and they are mostly in this range.
The same basic watch with date is reference 6466 and they go for about the same price.

Rolex reference 6694 Oyster Date is 34mm and has the same basic movement but they usually go for more $$. You see quite a few in stainless steel with gold bezel/crown and gold marker dials/goldtone hands and also a few with steel cases and gold marker dials/hands.
There is also a gold plated over steel model but not many turn up for sale.

These watches are very easy to work on and hardly ever need any parts other than a mainspring/case tube/crown/crystal/gaskets when serviced.
The 5.3mm crown is small for a manual wind watch and a later 6.0mm crown will fit the 5.3mm case tube. This is not 'correct' but it makes it easier to wind the watch.

Some crown info:

Prlx

Known Member
Patron
Certified
12/12/19
This one is so clean and beautiful in all porpotions. You're a lucky man!