• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 or a ZF AP 15500?

VenzoGames

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/22
Hey guys,

I've posted this question in the general discussion as well. However, I wanted to get you guys' opinion as well as we talk more about gen watches here :)

I really want to pull the trigger on my next watch. I'm torn between the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 (gen ofc) and a ZF AP 15500. If I get the AP, it would be my first rep.

2 arguments in favor of the AP: I prefer the design & the Tissot is 25-30% more expensive.
2 arguments in favor of the PRX: reliability & easy servicing.

I'd be disappointed if my AP stops working after a couple of years. I'll be using it a lot at least until an even better rep comes out in a couple of years.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it, thanks!

Side question: I often travel to hot countries. Can I rock an AP with a t-shirt & shorts?

Last edited:

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I'd buy the Tissot personally.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

TrooperII

Horology Curious
9/1/22
I really like the Tissot Powermatic and would take that over a rep AP. Also, if some of those hot countries are in South America i'd be VERY cautious wearing a rep AP... robbery is a popular pass time in some of those countries.

Howehaohow

2/10/21
Hey man.
I have a zf ap15400 black and a prx automatic blue

Ap rep is heavier and feels more premium
Prx is lighter and easier to wear.

I like both but will probably sell one eventually.

VenzoGames

14/1/22
I really like the Tissot Powermatic and would take that over a rep AP. Also, if some of those hot countries are in South America i'd be VERY cautious wearing a rep AP... robbery is a popular pass time in some of those countries.

Thanks man! Yeah, don't worry. I grew up in Brazil so I know when to wear a watch. It's not often unfortunately :(

VenzoGames

14/1/22
In that case the answer should be clear.

How reliable is that Miyota? I see a lot of ppl still rocking their 10 yo reps. Having no experience with reps, I've got no idea how long a well-kept one lasts?

VenzoGames

14/1/22
Hey man.
I have a zf ap15400 black and a prx automatic blue

Ap rep is heavier and feels more premium
Prx is lighter and easier to wear.

I like both but will probably sell one eventually.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Did you service the AP upon receiving it? How's it holding up?

Howehaohow

2/10/21
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Did you service the AP upon receiving it? How's it holding up?

I didn't, it's been on a winder and keeping good time. Happy to keep it as is. It has the new 3120 movement so it's quiet

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Because of the design or because of the reliability? I imagine that the Myota in the AP rep is pretty good, no?
Buying the gen you keep it for life and pass it down as something that still has value. Reps are just temporary/hobby items.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Buying the gen you keep it for life and pass it down as something that still has value. Reps are just temporary/hobby items.

When it comes to “handing it down”, I Can’t see a used tissot being worth more than a drink with a few mates on a weekend. So the holding value thing is largely irrelevant for this watch. Reps from 5 years ago still sell on m2m for decent money...but yeh, we buy reps to enjoy and not as investments.

The rep looks better imo (looks like a 30k gen)....but looks are Ofc subjective.

The Miyota is very reliable. When it breaks, get. Serviced....it’s same basic principle for gen.

I do agree however that reps are a hobby item.

At this price point, I Personally would just get the watch you like the look off. No need to worry about resale or handing it down on a 300£ item

Reactions: Rx4Time

VenzoGames

14/1/22
When it comes to “handing it down”, I Can’t see a used tissot being worth more than a drink with a few mates on a weekend. So the holding value thing is largely irrelevant for this watch. Reps from 5 years ago still sell on m2m for decent money...but yeh, we buy reps to enjoy and not as investments.

The rep looks better imo (looks like a 30k gen)....but looks are Ofc subjective.

The Miyota is very reliable. When it breaks, get. Serviced....it’s same basic principle for gen.

I do agree however that reps are a hobby item.

At this price point, I Personally would just get the watch you like the look off. No need to worry about resale or handing it down on a 300£ item

Thanks mech, I think you nailed it! I'll be passing down all my watches anyway and none are being bought as an investment.

I take extremely good care of all my possessions. If it's solid, it'll last my whole life. Do you think it's worth it to service it upon arrival? Heard that the oils they use aren't the best and that some micro dirt may be lying in it.

I prefer the looks on that AP and it's amazing how similar to the gen it is! So I think I've made my choice, I'm going for the AP. I'll just have to see how often or not I'll be able to wear it. I'm really curious to see if I can wear it with anything like I do with my gen Tag & Omega.

Reactions: mech500

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Thanks mech, I think you nailed it! I'll be passing down all my watches anyway and none are being bought as an investment.

I take extremely good care of all my possessions. If it's solid, it'll last my whole life. Do you think it's worth it to service it upon arrival? Heard that the oils they use aren't the best and that some micro dirt may be lying in it.

I prefer the looks on that AP and it's amazing how similar to the gen it is! So I think I've made my choice, I'm going for the AP. I'll just have to see how often or not I'll be able to wear it. I'm really curious to see if I can wear it with anything like I do with my gen Tag & Omega.

Don’t worry about getting it serviced mate. Just wear it. The whole what oil to use is just an academic topic we discuss when we’re bored of talking about rehaut and SELs. I wouldn’t look too much into it. I’ve got both the the gen and rep 15400...hardly wore the gen. the rep looks virtually identical for all intents and purposes. The bracelet is a work of art. People moan about the sharp edges but I swear my gen is sharper or at least as sharp and precise. Enjoy

VenzoGames

14/1/22
Don’t worry about getting it serviced mate. Just wear it. The whole what oil to use is just an academic topic we discuss when we’re bored of talking about rehaut and SELs. I wouldn’t look too much into it. I’ve got both the the gen and rep 15400...hardly wore the gen. the rep looks virtually identical for all intents and purposes. The bracelet is a work of art. People moan about the sharp edges but I swear my gen is sharper or at least as sharp and precise. Enjoy

Thanks a lot man, I'm copping it right now. Good to know and pretty sure it won't bother me at all.

I've heard ppl complaining about rotor noise. I imagine that it's not noticeable at all to anyone not actively trying to listen to it ?

MaltMan

10/1/17
Tissot PRX offers a lot of quality and reliability for the price.
PRX is still an entry level swiss automatic watch.
15400 is an icon and it seems that proper reps are available.

As long as you don't expect the rep to be perfect or as relaible as a gen, it's just a matter of taste.

Last edited: