• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How would I go about verifying if this is gen?

Murdahjah

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/5/16
I know it needs a cleaning and probably to be serviced.. was told its 25-30yrs old and was worn daily and never serviced but I just received this as a gift and was wondering if its gen. Before anyone jumps down my throat I like it either way I'm just wondering out of curiosity. If needed I can take some more pictures as I'm sure these are pretty terrible but figured maybe it would be a decent starting point for someone far more knowledgeable than I am. Thanks in advance. 
3cffd9a2d00c178c50a44cc2473398ad.jpg
08904912d28ef94fd2795945e661952c.jpg
8707b7178b804e0b9d747d6c2faa6556.jpg
3b2b55a6fb1f1f0b54cf03c9f28576c1.jpg
aa9bf5f6b342c9d1c86e66dfb57362c0.jpg
25f38d64930213d9c75872886da84951.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Take at to an authorized Rolex dealer. If it's a GEN, they'll confirm it.
A less obvious clue: I don't know of any replica that has solid gold bracelet links, so that's an easy one.

Last edited:

Murdahjah

10/5/16
Take at to an authorized Rolex dealer. If it's a GEN, they'll confirm it.
A less obvious clue: I don't know of any replica that has solid gold bracelet links, so that's an easy one.
Ya I planned to do that eventually once I get a chance to get home to my car lol I'm a truck driver so can't go to any small plazas while I have a trailer. Figured when I took it in to get cleaned I'd ask then it's just the curiosity has been eating at me so figured I'd see what yall thought here. I've got a few reps and compared to them i figured if it still works after 25+ years it must be gen. Maybe I've just gotten cheap reps but they definitely didn't live nearly that long.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Look closely at the side profile of the gold mid-links on the bracelet. On reps the mid links are stainless steel with a thin layer of gold plating applied on top. If you can’t see any steel, then it’s probably a gen bracelet.

Hard to tell from those pics but it’s certainly not a shitter. Very good chance that it’s gen. get it cleaned up and polished and it’ll look like new.

Ps. High quality Reps should last a long time - you might have to get them serviced tho. You’re right , gen Rollies are so resistant!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Hesekiel

Murdahjah

10/5/16
Look closely at the side profile of the gold mid-links on the bracelet. On reps the mid links are stainless steel with a thin layer of gold plating applied on top. If you can’t see any steel, then it’s probably a gen bracelet.

Hard to tell from those pics but it’s certainly not a shitter. Very good chance that it’s gen. get it cleaned up and polished and it’ll look like new.

Ps. High quality Reps should last a long time - you might have to get them serviced tho. You’re right , gen Rollies are so resistant!

Ahh I don't see any steel so thats a good sign! I was told its a gen by the person I got it from I'm just always skeptical of everything. That and I was just given it randomly lol I appreciate your help though definitely feeling more confident that its the real deal. Now I just need to get it cleaned up a bit!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Ha. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Enjoy it mate!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
hows the lume ? its a tritium dial , it should fade quick

Murdahjah

10/5/16
hows the lume ? its a tritium dial , it should fade quick
Doesn't really glow at all figured it's because it's so old but I dunno how long that stuff is supposed to last anyways.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Doesn't really glow at all figured it's because it's so old but I dunno how long that stuff is supposed to last anyways.

Well luminova should still glow , but trit is probably wont out , im not aware of any reps that used real trit , so thats a good sign !

Murdahjah

10/5/16
Well luminova should still glow , but trit is probably wont out , im not aware of any reps that used real trit , so thats a good sign !

Ohh awesome I wasn't aware of this good stuff! I appreciate the info. hopefully I can get this thing cleaned up and lookin fresh soon!

Reactions: mech500

Big Baz

26/1/17
There are myriad tells on most 5 digit Rolex gold and two-tone Sub reps including shortcomings in the areas of dial font, text alignment, an oddly flat quality to the dial text on a reference where gens have a decidedly raised gilt effect (just like on the early gilt Subs from 20 odd years earlier) etc . A serious weak point with 4 digit and 5 digit Rolex reps has also always been the engravings between the lugs. Many reps have case engravings that appear laser etched rather than the panto engraved style seen on gen Rolex watches. And the detail on many older generation reps doesn't even extend to any effort at all between the lugs (i.e. blank or totally incorrect case reference numbers and serial numbers totally outside the range for any particular model). If what you have is a pre-2005 16613 (no ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX banner on the rehaut) you might expect the serial number to fall somewhere between the R598xxx from year 1988 and the D's from year 2005 ... and they don't follow on sequentially through those years but a quick Google would tell you if your serial number rings true for an early 16613.
Just going on the OP's low res. pics, the watch does look quite promising to me. Assuming that it is gen, be careful who you choose to clean up the case and bracelet too. Upon launch in 1988 the 16613 was one of the first new generation Rolex 'es with fatter lugs, quite a lot beefier than the 5513 / 1680 period. A competent Rolex experienced technician will work very gently with a case to greatly improve it .... a less experienced technician might just hit the polishing wheel with gay abandon , polish the shit out of those lugs and shave some serious value off the watch at the same time. The polished vs. unpolished thing is a huge consideration for fans of vintage and classic Rolex watches. I'm not saying send it to a Rolex Service Centre, I'm just saying check carefully that whoever you entrust your watch to knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Hesekiel

McPwn

21/9/20
Looks gen to me. Dont know of many 5 digit tritium dial reps still around or even if they made them. To be 100% just buy a case back opener off ebay or amazon and open it up to verify the movement.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk