• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to buy a genuine Rolex?

amorphous2111

Horology Curious
6/11/15
Hello fellow forum members,

I wonder what would be the most reliable way to buy a genuine SS sport Rolex these days? There is none at AD and I really can’t and don’t want to spend lots of money on other models until they take me on as a valued custommer so the grey market seems to be the only place.

Can I simply buy one off Chrono24, find an unworn 2021 model and trust the warranty card? In such case my name would not be on the card does it create a problem later. Is it reasonable to ask the seller to send the watch to Rolex service center once the money in escrow account so that if there is any problem it will come back and I can ask Chrono24 to stop the transaction? For the piece of mind I would be happy paying for a standard service at Rolex to make absolutely sure that I get the real deal.

Thank you for your info. I have a Rep SD which is briliant but after a year of use it starts losing time like crazy (like a few mins per day). Would be great to own sth as beautiful without winding every day.

A

Reactions: Jamie76

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
Check crown and caliber or davidsw if you go grey market route. They are reliable no BS like chrono24. Or fix your rep. Id never pay these astronomical prices for sports models. Im on several waitlists, till then my reps and few gens will suffice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

amorphous2111

Horology Curious
6/11/15
Check crown and caliber or davidsw if you go grey market route. They are reliable no BS like chrono24. Or fix your rep. Id never pay these astronomical prices for sports models. Im on several waitlists, till then my reps and few gens will suffice.

Thank you. What do you see as the main issue for buying from Chrono24?

Ideally I want to do it via AD but I don’t think they bother putting me in any real waiting list. And I don’t see any point of spending money on several Rolexes until they judge me as a worthy custommer that could be rewarded with some of their coveted watches. I just want is a real sport Rolex that keeps value and beats all the time, and don’t mind to pay the expensive margin for it.

But I can’t feel comfortable giving out 15-20k for a watch without having some kind of official Rolex certification for it, like a report from RSC.

BTW anyone aware of a watchsmith in Australia who is replica friendly?

Cheers,

A

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
marrickville is rep friendly but super busy. PM him here with what you need done to what watch. He may take a while to respond. He may not be able to help. But at present he’s the best option in Oz.

I’ve bought Gens through Chrono24 without issue. I believe they have large commission fees though. You buy your watch and have it verified once you get it.

If you’re purchasing through a trusted dealer with good reviews if it isn’t ok (as per ad) send it back.

Or get your rep serviced / repaired and you didn’t have to spend a heap of money.

amorphous2111

Horology Curious
6/11/15
marrickville is rep friendly but super busy. PM him here with what you need done to what watch. He may take a while to respond. He may not be able to help. But at present he’s the best option in Oz.

I’ve bought Gens through Chrono24 without issue. I believe they have large commission fees though. You buy your watch and have it verified once you get it.

If you’re purchasing through a trusted dealer with good reviews if it isn’t ok (as per ad) send it back.

Or get your rep serviced / repaired and you didn’t have to spend a heap of money.

Thank you. I will DM marrickville to see what I can do with my rep. It uses the Asian 2813 so I guess for the cost of servicing such movement I’ll better replace with an ETA equivalent. Do you know which ETA the 2813 based on?

Doing my research reveals that DavidSW has stellar reputation all over the internet and it would be pretty safe buying from him. I like the idea of getting an unworn one and have my name filled in the warranty card as some people claimed.

Cowboy45

12/2/18
USA
Thank you. I will DM marrickville to see what I can do with my rep. It uses the Asian 2813 so I guess for the cost of servicing such movement I’ll better replace with an ETA equivalent. Do you know which ETA the 2813 based on?

Doing my research reveals that DavidSW has stellar reputation all over the internet and it would be pretty safe buying from him. I like the idea of getting an unworn one and have my name filled in the warranty card as some people claimed.
The NEW rolex cards dont have your name on the warranty card. I picked up a new sub is September 2020 and there is no longer a place to write it.

LordElrond

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/20
If you want a watch not monstrously hyped, just find an AD willing to put you on a list... There is no need to buy BS before buying a black Submariner (much less a Sea Dweller). Wait should be around a year in my experience.

Reactions: Cowboy45

mdawgy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/8/17

I thought the 2813 movement is a clone of a Miyota 8215 + hacking. I'm not sure if an ETA or ETA clone would be a direct drop in.

You could buy 2-3 new 2813 movements instead of sending it in for a repair, lol.

Reactions: DiggerOfWatches

amorphous2111

Horology Curious
6/11/15
If you want a watch not monstrously hyped, just find an AD willing to put you on a list... There is no need to buy BS before buying a black Submariner (much less a Sea Dweller). Wait should be around a year in my experience.

Yeah if I can be on a WL then problem solved. But my understanding is that the sport SS models now is kind of a way to entice custommers like the Birkin handbag. There is no real list for one-off custommers, only for returning custommer who has spent a good chunk of money on other less desirable models at an AD.

I remember about 5-7 years ago SS Rolex sport can still be found easily in airports and ADs in many places. Guess the low interest rate contributed a lot to this shortage.