• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Omega 175.0032 Speedmaster Reduced (to a pile of rust)

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Wow this seems like a really cool journey. Great job, very very very well done :)

Ijustwannarollie

Known Member
29/4/19
USA
This was a pretty cool read! Amazing work and it turned out to be a beautiful piece. I too would love to know the back story on this watch.

Ruffa2019

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/19
You have inspired me to give this a go as a project. Thanks for the very helpful post and great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildString46

Known Member
9/1/20
Weast!
Thanks! I only really work on these things as a hobby in the evenings so it took a few weeks. There’s also time in there sourcing parts and waiting on shipping (like getting that chrono hand from Japan Yahoo Auctions).
Disassembly, cleaning, repairs, reassembly, lubricating, regulating, and testing probably took 8-12 hours for this one. Some of the clean up, rust removal, and polishing/brushing took some extra time compared with a simple movement servicing.
I have a basic full set of watchmakers tools - I don’t have advanced tools like a jeweling tool or lathe. But I hope to continue pushing the limits of what I can do.
I have learned thru online courses, forums, walkthroughs, books, practice, and LOTS of mistakes. I probably could have avoided some of that by taking an in-person course. Maybe I will someday soon.
I started on an Asian 2836-2. Cheap and parts are readily available. I fully broke (literally) it down and rebuilt it several times.
Good luck learning! Dive in and try it. If you have any specific questions I’m happy to help.

Hey hanski hope you don't mind I revive this thread! I've become sort of a Speedy Reduced fan and this thread is such a good source of info once I do eventually pick one up haha.

Was also wondering what basic full set of watchmakers tools do you have? Any recommendations?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Hey hanski hope you don't mind I revive this thread! I've become sort of a Speedy Reduced fan and this thread is such a good source of info once I do eventually pick one up haha.

Was also wondering what basic full set of watchmakers tools do you have? Any recommendations?

I don’t mind - always up for resurrecting the dead! ;)

I wouldn’t really say I have a basic set of tools but maybe not a professional set either. Probably somewhere in the middle.
Watchmaking is a real rabbits hole - both cost and time. If you’re getting started, go over to Ofrei or Esslinger to see their pre-made beginners watchmaking tool sets. These are good to get started and good for simple tasks. However, be aware that I don’t think it’s worth getting cheap tools in the end. I started there but have since replaced all the cheap things with Horotec or Bergeon.
Good luck!

Ellisg93

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/3/20
This is such a brilliant project.
Be interested to see if you eventually change the dial.

Reactions: hanski

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Oh, I realized I never posted an update on this one. Ended up joining Yahoo! Japan Auction site to find the chrono hand. Then used Buyee to be able to purchase with a Japanese forwarding service - seems complicated but simple. I’d recommend it for purchasing on Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Also, there are some good gen finds on those auctions.
Anyways, hand installed and complete!

65-C8-AFAD-C726-4-A18-BC9-E-97-DF260959-D3.jpg

And a photo with my Speedy pro cause I heard double wristing is a thing now.
5286-CE40-DC42-4-D0-D-9779-E8-B7-C9-F18490.jpg

My wife was on about double fisting the other day. Perhaps she meant this..... I hope...... ;)

Anyway, amazing thread and rebuild. Lovely piece.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twill