• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen Omega 175.0032 Speedmaster Reduced (to a pile of rust)

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
Very nice! If you plan to keep it, you should just keep it as is. If you want to sell it, another dial might help you get more money for it.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Very nice! If you plan to keep it, you should just keep it as is. If you want to sell it, another dial might help you get more money for it.

That is indeed a heavy factor in my debate. On one hand I kind of want to keep it after putting so much work into it and finding it to be a right-sized, handsome watch.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind selling them hunting down the next project.
A new dial is about $250. Question is, if I sold as is vs with a new dial, would there be a greater than $250 price difference?

airking

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
26/5/09
That is indeed a heavy factor in my debate. On one hand I kind of want to keep it after putting so much work into it and finding it to be a right-sized, handsome watch.
On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind selling them hunting down the next project.
A new dial is about $250. Question is, if I sold as is vs with a new dial, would there be a greater than $250 price difference?

I agree. If you'll net the same, then no need to trouble yourself to buy and install another dial.

​​​It actually depends on what the whole watch cost you to build. I think a reduced speedy goes from $1400-1900. So you would have to see what it cost you to build and then determine if the extra funds for the dial would make it worth it.

I've seen dials for $100 in NOS condition on eBay so I think if you're patient, you can score one for less than $250.

Another idea, which ive kinda done, is to make the watch custom and just keep it. There's a few people out there, for example, who paint watch dials and there's a cool 'cosmic speedy' that's pretty cool and unique. Check out thedialartist/Creo watch design. If you're artistically inclined, you can even paint your own dial.

Aicon

veni vidi vici
4/6/19
Perfect work, congrats.

is the movement hard to repair and Service? I read that many times...

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Perfect work, congrats.

is the movement hard to repair and Service? I read that many times...

It kinda does live up to its reputation, the DD module that is. If I didn’t have a step by step walkthrough I would never have been able to do it. It’s not intuitive like other chronograph movements (7750, Venus 175, etc).

And when I say hard, more like tedious, requires an extra delicate touch, and doesn’t present itself with obviously relationship between parts. But I also say this having only serviced it once now.

Last edited:

Billy Longpockets

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/7/19
UK
Well done mate, you have done a fantastic job in bringing the watch back to life.. I really enjoyed the read... Don't sell the watch just give it to me to look after it...

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Well done mate, you have done a fantastic job in bringing the watch back to life.. I really enjoyed the read... Don't sell the watch just give it to me to look after it...

Thanks! It’s on its way - just hold your breath until it shows up.

My my wife is actually a bit peeved that I’ve started wearing it everyday since fixing instead of selling. If I can find a 145.022 that’s in need of repairs/service and selling below market - I’ll likely trade this in to take on that project. Until then I’m liking this one.

Billy Longpockets

12/7/19
UK
Just think yourself lucky that you have the skills to fix them.... My wife goes loopy when she sees an unfamiliar watch on my wrist....

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Wow! Great work and amazing photos!!! Thank you for sharing them. I will now read the thread again...

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
I'd definitely keep the dial - so much character there, makes it way more cool than just another speedmaster reduced you can find on chrono24

Fukaru

Known Member
26/11/18
Please don‘t change the dial. I also had a reduced but was too small for my wrist and I got his professional brother :)

The watch tells a story as you said, you don‘t know it but it looks like its a rough one. You have done great work to restore it but you shouldn‘t change its face with all the scars......

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Wow, That's so amazing. You do great work too. I can only do small repairs, and brushing and polishing. I would love to learn to take a watch apart or restore some day. Thanks so much for sharing this. This is the stuff that really intrigues me. This watch has so much character. If I was buying it I would keep that dial on it. I'd much rather have that dial with so much character. Thanks again.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Any updates? I’m really into your resto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I realized I never posted an update on this one. Ended up joining Yahoo! Japan Auction site to find the chrono hand. Then used Buyee to be able to purchase with a Japanese forwarding service - seems complicated but simple. I’d recommend it for purchasing on Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Also, there are some good gen finds on those auctions.
Anyways, hand installed and complete!

65-C8-AFAD-C726-4-A18-BC9-E-97-DF260959-D3.jpg

And a photo with my Speedy pro cause I heard double wristing is a thing now.
5286-CE40-DC42-4-D0-D-9779-E8-B7-C9-F18490.jpg

RollieDave

Horology Curious
15/11/19
Los Angeles
All in all a great read. Thanks for the thread hanski ! Approximately ow long did this rebuild take? So many questions! Ive always loved this kind of thing, but never have taken the plunge into a watch. What are the tools required for something like this (or what did you use?) and how many watches have you rebuilt to gain this kind of knowledge? What was your first rebuild?

newrepfan86

29/1/19
Absolutely amazing thread and unbelievable skill. Beautiful watch, getting myself one for Christmas.

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
All in all a great read. Thanks for the thread hanski ! Approximately ow long did this rebuild take? So many questions! Ive always loved this kind of thing, but never have taken the plunge into a watch. What are the tools required for something like this (or what did you use?) and how many watches have you rebuilt to gain this kind of knowledge? What was your first rebuild?

Thanks! I only really work on these things as a hobby in the evenings so it took a few weeks. There’s also time in there sourcing parts and waiting on shipping (like getting that chrono hand from Japan Yahoo Auctions).
Disassembly, cleaning, repairs, reassembly, lubricating, regulating, and testing probably took 8-12 hours for this one. Some of the clean up, rust removal, and polishing/brushing took some extra time compared with a simple movement servicing.
I have a basic full set of watchmakers tools - I don’t have advanced tools like a jeweling tool or lathe. But I hope to continue pushing the limits of what I can do.
I have learned thru online courses, forums, walkthroughs, books, practice, and LOTS of mistakes. I probably could have avoided some of that by taking an in-person course. Maybe I will someday soon.
I started on an Asian 2836-2. Cheap and parts are readily available. I fully broke (literally) it down and rebuilt it several times.
Good luck learning! Dive in and try it. If you have any specific questions I’m happy to help.

Reactions: lumentin

RollieDave

Horology Curious
15/11/19
Los Angeles
Thanks! I only really work on these things as a hobby in the evenings so it took a few weeks. There’s also time in there sourcing parts and waiting on shipping (like getting that chrono hand from Japan Yahoo Auctions).
Disassembly, cleaning, repairs, reassembly, lubricating, regulating, and testing probably took 8-12 hours for this one. Some of the clean up, rust removal, and polishing/brushing took some extra time compared with a simple movement servicing.
I have a basic full set of watchmakers tools - I don’t have advanced tools like a jeweling tool or lathe. But I hope to continue pushing the limits of what I can do.
I have learned thru online courses, forums, walkthroughs, books, practice, and LOTS of mistakes. I probably could have avoided some of that by taking an in-person course. Maybe I will someday soon.
I started on an Asian 2836-2. Cheap and parts are readily available. I fully broke (literally) it down and rebuilt it several times.
Good luck learning! Dive in and try it. If you have any specific questions I’m happy to help.

Very nice! Thanks for that reply! Much appreciated! Will definitely reach out if I have any specific questions in the future. Exciting stuff.