Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gen Omega 175.0032 Speedmaster Reduced (to a pile of rust)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Agreed with the masses.. That dial tells a better story than a replacement ever could.
    Looking for any Franken GMT Master, Sub, or Sea Dweller. Also interested in vintage builds.

    Comment


      #32
      Please don‘t change the dial. I also had a reduced but was too small for my wrist and I got his professional brother :-)

      The watch tells a story as you said, you don‘t know it but it looks like its a rough one. You have done great work to restore it but you shouldn‘t change its face with all the scars......


      Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

      Comment


        #33
        Wow, That's so amazing. You do great work too. I can only do small repairs, and brushing and polishing. I would love to learn to take a watch apart or restore some day. Thanks so much for sharing this. This is the stuff that really intrigues me. This watch has so much character. If I was buying it I would keep that dial on it. I'd much rather have that dial with so much character. Thanks again.

        Comment


          #34
          Any updates? I’m really into your resto


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by faithfulexecutioner View Post
            Any updates? I’m really into your resto


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Oh, I realized I never posted an update on this one. Ended up joining Yahoo! Japan Auction site to find the chrono hand. Then used Buyee to be able to purchase with a Japanese forwarding service - seems complicated but simple. I’d recommend it for purchasing on Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Also, there are some good gen finds on those auctions.
            Anyways, hand installed and complete!





            And a photo with my Speedy pro cause I heard double wristing is a thing now.



            Comment


              #36
              All in all a great read. Thanks for the thread hanski ! Approximately ow long did this rebuild take? So many questions! Ive always loved this kind of thing, but never have taken the plunge into a watch. What are the tools required for something like this (or what did you use?) and how many watches have you rebuilt to gain this kind of knowledge? What was your first rebuild?

              Comment


                #37
                Absolutely amazing thread and unbelievable skill. Beautiful watch, getting myself one for Christmas.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by RollieDave View Post
                  All in all a great read. Thanks for the thread hanski ! Approximately ow long did this rebuild take? So many questions! Ive always loved this kind of thing, but never have taken the plunge into a watch. What are the tools required for something like this (or what did you use?) and how many watches have you rebuilt to gain this kind of knowledge? What was your first rebuild?
                  Thanks! I only really work on these things as a hobby in the evenings so it took a few weeks. There’s also time in there sourcing parts and waiting on shipping (like getting that chrono hand from Japan Yahoo Auctions).
                  Disassembly, cleaning, repairs, reassembly, lubricating, regulating, and testing probably took 8-12 hours for this one. Some of the clean up, rust removal, and polishing/brushing took some extra time compared with a simple movement servicing.
                  I have a basic full set of watchmakers tools - I don’t have advanced tools like a jeweling tool or lathe. But I hope to continue pushing the limits of what I can do.
                  I have learned thru online courses, forums, walkthroughs, books, practice, and LOTS of mistakes. I probably could have avoided some of that by taking an in-person course. Maybe I will someday soon.
                  I started on an Asian 2836-2. Cheap and parts are readily available. I fully broke (literally) it down and rebuilt it several times.
                  Good luck learning! Dive in and try it. If you have any specific questions I’m happy to help.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by newrepfan86 View Post
                    Absolutely amazing thread and unbelievable skill. Beautiful watch, getting myself one for Christmas.
                    Congrats! That’s great! Enjoy it!

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by hanski View Post

                      Thanks! I only really work on these things as a hobby in the evenings so it took a few weeks. There’s also time in there sourcing parts and waiting on shipping (like getting that chrono hand from Japan Yahoo Auctions).
                      Disassembly, cleaning, repairs, reassembly, lubricating, regulating, and testing probably took 8-12 hours for this one. Some of the clean up, rust removal, and polishing/brushing took some extra time compared with a simple movement servicing.
                      I have a basic full set of watchmakers tools - I don’t have advanced tools like a jeweling tool or lathe. But I hope to continue pushing the limits of what I can do.
                      I have learned thru online courses, forums, walkthroughs, books, practice, and LOTS of mistakes. I probably could have avoided some of that by taking an in-person course. Maybe I will someday soon.
                      I started on an Asian 2836-2. Cheap and parts are readily available. I fully broke (literally) it down and rebuilt it several times.
                      Good luck learning! Dive in and try it. If you have any specific questions I’m happy to help.
                      Very nice! Thanks for that reply! Much appreciated! Will definitely reach out if I have any specific questions in the future. Exciting stuff.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X