Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gen Omega 175.0032 Speedmaster Reduced (to a pile of rust)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! Personally I'd get a new dial if you can locate one, but regardless, it turned out better than I imagined.

Here's a source for the hands. I've bought spare links, pins and collars for my two Speedmasters from them.

https://www.swisslimitededitions.com/c-1140-3220-hands

My wish list:
    Panerai OP VIII movement (7750 with GMT complication)

Comment

I did stumble upon a dial if you are interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-speed...085?nav=SEARCH
      My wish list:
      Panerai OP VIII movement (7750 with GMT complication)

Comment

Originally posted by Rx4Time View Post
        Looks great! Personally I'd get a new dial if you can locate one, but regardless, it turned out better than I imagined.

Here's a source for the hands. I've bought spare links, pins and collars for my two Speedmasters from them.

https://www.swisslimitededitions.com/c-1140-3220-hands

Thanks and thanks for the reference! I’ve contacted them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rx4Time View Post
          I did stumble upon a dial if you are interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-speed...085?nav=SEARCH
          I did see, two actually, one with a hand set. I’m debating whether to spend the extra money and whether I kind of like the character of the watch as is. Juries still out.

Comment

Comment

Very nice! If you plan to keep it, you should just keep it as is. If you want to sell it, another dial might help you get more money for it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by airking View Post
                Very nice! If you plan to keep it, you should just keep it as is. If you want to sell it, another dial might help you get more money for it.
                That is indeed a heavy factor in my debate. On one hand I kind of want to keep it after putting so much work into it and finding it to be a right-sized, handsome watch.
                On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind selling them hunting down the next project.
                A new dial is about $250. Question is, if I sold as is vs with a new dial, would there be a greater than $250 price difference?

Comment

Originally posted by hanski View Post

That is indeed a heavy factor in my debate. On one hand I kind of want to keep it after putting so much work into it and finding it to be a right-sized, handsome watch.
                  On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind selling them hunting down the next project.
                  A new dial is about $250. Question is, if I sold as is vs with a new dial, would there be a greater than $250 price difference?
                  I agree. If you'll net the same, then no need to trouble yourself to buy and install another dial.

​​​It actually depends on what the whole watch cost you to build. I think a reduced speedy goes from $1400-1900. So you would have to see what it cost you to build and then determine if the extra funds for the dial would make it worth it.

I've seen dials for $100 in NOS condition on eBay so I think if you're patient, you can score one for less than $250.

Another idea, which ive kinda done, is to make the watch custom and just keep it. There's a few people out there, for example, who paint watch dials and there's a cool 'cosmic speedy' that's pretty cool and unique. Check out thedialartist/Creo watch design. If you're artistically inclined, you can even paint your own dial.
                  sigpic

Comment

Perfect work, congrats.

is the movement hard to repair and Service? I read that many times...

Comment

Originally posted by Aicon View Post
                      Perfect work, congrats.

is the movement hard to repair and Service? I read that many times...
                      It kinda does live up to its reputation, the DD module that is. If I didn’t have a step by step walkthrough I would never have been able to do it. It’s not intuitive like other chronograph movements (7750, Venus 175, etc).

And when I say hard, more like tedious, requires an extra delicate touch, and doesn’t present itself with obviously relationship between parts. But I also say this having only serviced it once now.
                      Last edited by hanski; 29-08-19, 22:33.

Comment

Well done mate, you have done a fantastic job in bringing the watch back to life.. I really enjoyed the read... Don't sell the watch just give it to me to look after it...

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Longpockets View Post
                          Well done mate, you have done a fantastic job in bringing the watch back to life.. I really enjoyed the read... Don't sell the watch just give it to me to look after it...
                          Thanks! It’s on its way - just hold your breath until it shows up.

My my wife is actually a bit peeved that I’ve started wearing it everyday since fixing instead of selling. If I can find a 145.022 that’s in need of repairs/service and selling below market - I’ll likely trade this in to take on that project. Until then I’m liking this one.

Comment

Just think yourself lucky that you have the skills to fix them.... My wife goes loopy when she sees an unfamiliar watch on my wrist....

Comment

Wow! Great work and amazing photos!!! Thank you for sharing them. I will now read the thread again...

PM Admin to become a SUPPORTER or to Donate and help the forum!!!

Comment

I'd definitely keep the dial - so much character there, makes it way more cool than just another speedmaster reduced you can find on chrono24
                                WTB: Tudor Heritage BB 7922R (with the rose on the dial not the shield), also BB 58

Comment

Working...
                                X