• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GUG #8: Sinn Flieger 756

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California
All the info below have been pilfered from various websites.

My particular watch usually can't be found for a grand, but some models in the same line
of Sinn Fliegers can be second hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
For reference sake:
1. Sinn 556
a. ETA 2824-2
b. stainless steel
2. Sinn 656
a. ETA 2824-2
b. sandblasted SS case
c. 657: addition of rotating bezel
3. Sinn 756
a. ETA 7750
b. tegiment steel technology:The case has a thin outer layer of special anti-corrosive stainless steel which is also used in surgical implants. This protective shell is hardened to 1,200 Vickers (4 times harder than the regular stainless steel used in other watches). In comparison, the first series' case was hardened to 700 Vickers.
c. 757: addition of rotating bezel
d. 756, 757 UTC: addition of GMT complication
e. 756, 757 UTC DIAPAL: chronograph with a completely lubricant free escapement, which is a world first. Every wristwatch requires a service every few years as the escapement wheels and pallets need lubricating to avoid friction. Sinn used the technological innovations of the space program to develop a lubrication free escapement called DIAPAL, which is a reference to the friction reducing technique of replacing the ruby pallet stones with diamonds, hence the name DIAmond PALlets. The diamond pallets are then fitted to the traditional movements, in this case the Valjoux 7750, so you have the tried and tested Valjoux 7750, which is the world standard for automatic chronographs, which has been modified with space age technology to make it friction free. This is a technology which has been years in the making at the Sinn labs.
4. Sinn 856, 857 UTC
a. ETA 2893-2
The above models also come in PVD-ish finish as well. Along with strap or bracelet.
VERY BRIEF/TRUNCATED HISTORY & TECHNOLOGY OF SINN
HISTORY:
After its establishment, the company constructed instrumental watches and watches for pilots based on Mr. Sinn's extensive aviation experience, that was primarily based on dissatisfaction with the flight watches that were available for pilot and navigational purposes at that time. Sinn's own designs incorporated the features and functionality that he felt more fit for the purpose as an instrument watch. This design philosophy has transcended the company's culture right through to the present day.
Solely selling the watches with direct marketing, thereby avoiding additional costs of trade, Sinn was able to sell its watches with a very good price/performance ratio. The watches were manufactured as OEM products in Switzerland according to Sinn's specifications and very popular among pilots because of their outstanding quality and design.
In 1994, Helmut Sinn sold the company to Dipl.-Ing. Lothar Schmidt, who constructed watches in the Porsche-Design Team in the 1970s and later on was authorized officer of the IWC. Among other things, Schmidt designed watch cases made from titanium for the IWC and after 1990 he was responsible for the rebuilding of the IWC brand A. Lange & Söhne.
Schmidt changed the name of the company to Sinn - Spezialuhren zu Frankfurt - (special watches from Frankfurt) and created a new range of watch models.
Today, as many as 10,000 watches are sold per year and the direct marketing has been expanded by establishing depots where watches are sold outside of Frankfurt.
Some years after he sold his company, Helmut Sinn returned to the watch business, building and selling watches of the brands Guinand, Jubilar und Chronosport in Frankfurt am Main in Germany. From 1993 to 2002, Sinn also produced watches for Bell & Ross

TECHNOLOGY:
The models 756 and 756 UTC are much more than the Chronograph variants of the pilot watch 656. Apart from being a completely unique watch, designed like not other watch past and present, new materials and new technologies take these models to another level of design and robustness. The cases are steel distortion-free ice-hardened and reached with it a hardness of 60 HRC (Rockwell) and/or 710 HV. This corresponds to a three to quadruple hardness compared with normal nickeliferous high-grade steel. The new patented crown and pusher system of the 756 was designed to prohibit any moisture building in the case. The pusher seals sit one behind another and lubricated by a self-lubrication system almost makes the case impenetrable by water or moisture. The case does have a copper sulphate capsule which when reacts with moisture diffuses the humidity and therefore protecting the glass from condensation clouding. The jewels in the 756 7750 movement are lubricated with a special oil 66228 with a temperature range guarantee from minus 45 degrees to plus 80 degrees. The black on black emblem on the dial of the 756 at the 9 o'clock position is representative of the magnetic field core in the watch which symbolises the protection of the movement up 1000 gauss .The highly-regarded and precise Swiss Movement the Valjoux 7750 forms a sound base for the time keeping capabilities of this model . Also the high resolution dial with the anti reflective sapphire crystal glass guarantees good legibility in most if not all light conditions. Sapphire crystal, screw down crown and 20 ATM water resistant. Width is 40 mm excluding crown and 45 mm including crown Lug to lug is 47 mm, Thickness is 14 mm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I recently acquired the Sinn Flieger 756 via trade with a great member. It is on a GENUINE IWC UTC buffalo strap w. Sinn deployment.

Some wristies:
sinnwristcheck1.jpg

sinnwristcheck2.jpg

Solo shots:
sinnrwg2.jpg

sinnrwg3.jpg

sinnrwg4.jpg

sinnrwg5.jpg

sinnrwg6.jpg

sinnrwg6.jpg

sinnrwg7.jpg

sinnrwg9.jpg

With my 3717-02: See how similar the Di-Modell Chronissimo strap looks to the gen IWC...I believe they used to make straps for IWC

sinnrwg11.jpg

sinnrwg13.jpg

sinnrwg15.jpg

sinnrwg16.jpg

sinnrwg18.jpg

sinnrwg17.jpg

My impressions:
This is my first Sinn and I'm impressed. Stylish, functional...everything you want from a tool watch. The date is very small so not to detract from the aviation instrument dial.

Reactions: Malik321

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Re: PICTORIAL REVIEW: Sinn Flieger 756

Me.

Sinn 756, 203 Ti Jubiläum and Sinn U2 S.

carnut

31/3/07

Stunning watch... I've nearly purchased one several times only to be out-bid at the last second. It sits right at the top of my most wanted gen list.

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06

I love Sinn Watches.

Beautiful watch and great post, I'll start to search for sinn watches.

Max

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06

Stickied!

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Any one knows where I can find this watch in US?

Prefer Miami or Orlando.

Max

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I love that watch, I wish it would be 44 mm

dellhd101

7/3/09
takashi said:
US based Sinn AD is online only. It's watchbuys.com

taka, you had some Sinn's in your display case if i remember correctly. does anyone make good reps?

and dylan those are nice pictures of two beauties i would like to have some day. :mrgreen:

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
a pure instruments watch, plain and simple.

great looks. no kidding, i remember seeing this watch years ago in germany for 950 Euro.

shoebox rick

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/6/09
I just picked up a Sinn U1 off of Ebay. I thought I had pretty well prepped myself before I bought it, but I was floored when I opened the box. It is a striking watch. Now I want an 857.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Regarding cost: They are expensive, but not that much. The 657 e.g. is 770,00 Euro (roughly 1.029 USD) (Source: http://www.manufactum.de/Artikel/77239/ ... ll657.html)

The Sinn watches are very nice. They come from Frankfurt, Germany, and therefore Lufthansa (also based in FRA) is promoting them (sort of) as well. You can find Sinn watches in the Miles&More catalogue with special promotions (at least in the German catalogue). Although I strongly believe, that all the Lufthansa pilots have reps. At least the stewardesses all wear fake Rolex' :)

Dr.verylong

watchman888

Known Member
29/7/09
There are a few of the newer Sinn models that are around 43mm. Why do I see so few Sinns in the rep market?

howasong

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/12/09
Regarding cost: They are expensive, but not that much. The 657 e.g. is 770,00 Euro (roughly 1.029 USD) (Source: http://www.manufactum.de/Artikel/77239/ ... ll657)

The Sinn watches are very nice. They come from Frankfurt, Germany, and therefore Lufthansa (also based in FRA) is promoting them (sort of) as well. You can find Sinn watches in the Miles&More catalogue with special promotions (at least in the German catalogue). Although I strongly believe, that all the Lufthansa pilots have reps. At least the stewardesses all wear fake Rolex' :)

Dr.verylong

I found the Sinn 356 very nice, and I would like to purchase from that site (I am in US) but I don't read any German unfortunately. Does that site accept order from US and how much will the shipping cost to ship to California? Is the site legit?

This is the watch I am interesting http://www.manufactum.de/Produkt/0/1397588/SinnFliegerchronograph356?suchbegriff=sinn+356
930,00 Euro is about $1,400 right now, which seems to be a good deal than buying from the US only online AD (the price is nearly double on http://www.watchbuys.com/.

I also went to Sinn's own website (sinn.de), and found some of the "Financial District Watches" series (model 6xxx) very nice (http://www.sinn.de/Modell/6000.htm), and it seems like those even come with Box set as well. Where can I get one of those online at reasonable price?

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
The original Finanzplatz watch is sold out unfortunately. I saw one on Ebay recently and it went for 2.000 Euro in good condition. I had the watch in my hands once - very nice piece.

I wished they'd rep the 756 though.