• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GUG #6-- Chronodeco 1968: coolest retro watch ever?

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Even if you haven't heard of the company Chronodeco, there's a pretty good chance you're familar with at least the look of the Chronodeco 1968. Why? Because, in one respect, Chronodeco has taken the art of legal rep (or homage) making to a whole different level.

I first heard about Chronodeco in an article in the Aug. issue of International Watch. Chronodeco (http://www.chronodeco.com) has been around since about 2001. The main guy behind Chronodeco, S. Craig Bergsma, began as a watchmaker and focused primarily on servicing and reconditioning old chronograph watches (and he still services watches today, and for pretty reasonable prices).

Bergsma had an interesting idea-- he had come into possession of a lot of old cases and movements from the 30s and 40s. So he built a very limited run (as in 35 watches) of watches using nothing but NOS (New Old Stock-- that is, old stuff that is new in the sense it has never been used) based on Art Deco designs. So, beginning in 2001, Chronodeco put out their first watch. After an article in International Watch showcased his stuff, he sold out in a month.

Since 2001, Chronodeco has put out several series of watches, all with limited numbers, based on the 30s and 40s Art Deco period. But in 2008, they did something very different. And very cool. They decided to go with a retro watch again, but this time, based on the chronograph look from the late 60s and early 70s. And the Chronodeco 1968 was born.

Using the famous "cushion case" from the late 60s Heuer Autavia and Camero, Chronodeco came up with a watch that is, in my view, one of the most beautiful pieces out there. And again, everything in the watch is authentic from the 1960s. They have two different "Styles" available.

Here are the pics and specs from their Style I watches:
Style I:
- Limited to 30 pieces
- New Old Stock cushion-style cases purchased from Germany. Heavy polished chrome finish with a stainless steel screw on back.
- Valjoux cal.7733 movement, one of the best ever built. All rebuilt with new mainspring installed.
- 5 different dial styles available.
- Your choice of small hand colors in red, white, black or day-Glo orange.
- Black, perforated high quality leather strap purchased from France.
- 6-month warranty.

MVC-004S.JPG

MVC-007S.jpg

MVC-008S.jpg

MVC-009AS.jpg

MVC-010S.jpg

And here are the pics and specs of the Style II watches:
Style II:
- Limited to 5 pieces
- New Old Stock tonneau-style cases purchased from Australia. Heavy solid stainless with a stainless steel screw on back.
- Valjoux cal. 7736 3 register movement. I would have liked to have built more of these but the movement is nearly impossible to find today. All rebuilt with new mainspring installed.
- 2 different dial styles available.
- Your choice of small hand colors in red, white, black or day-Glo orange.
- Black perforated high quality leather strap purchased from France.
- 6 month warranty
MVC-011S.jpg

MVC-014S.jpg

I told you that you'd seen these watches before. In case you're wondering, these watches are patterned on a couple of different chronographs from the 1960s and 1970s. The most obvious reference is the Heuer Autavia, as you can see here:
876f_3.JPG

And the Heuer Camero, like this one:
pic_id10132_no1_xl.jpg

One other source, at least in terms of the design of the dial, is likely the Wakmann Chronograph (made by Breitling):
e3b4_12.JPG

Today, a Camero or Autavia in good condition retails for around $3,000 to $4,000. If you can find one, that is. Whereas you couldn't have given a Camero or Autavia away ten years ago, people have rediscovered them in a big way today, as they're one of the few vintage designs that cater to the modern trend of big watches. Although sizes varied, a watch based on the Autavia or Camero design (and there were LOTS of knockoffs of them in the 60s and 70s) could range from 38mm to 42mm. So they've become a very popular collectors' piece today.

Back to the Chronodeco 1968. Since all the parts are from the 60s, these are very limited production pieces. How limited? Try 30 pieces of Style I and 5 pieces of Style II. And two of the Style I models are already sold out. Given all this, I would expect that these things would retail for well into the $4000 or $5000 range. But then I wouldn't be writing about them here in the GUG section.

Shockingly, you can get a Style I for $895 and a Style II for $1195.*

*Yeah, I know it's a little over a grand, but humor me.

Now, in full disclosure, I probably won't be ordering one of these myself (because $900 is still a lot to spend on a watch, anyway you want to look at it). But the Chronodeco 1968 inspired me to start trawling the Web for a good deal on an authentic cushion case Chronograph from the 1960s. And the coolest thing? If I do get one, I can send it to Chronodeco for a full servicing for $125.

But if you're tempted to get one of the 1968s, you'd better contact this dude like right now. Methinks those things are going to go fast.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Sean, that is an amazing find. The style 1 type 3 reminds me of the TUDOR Monte Carlo, my favorite old school Tudor. Thanks for putting this together as I think it will inspire someone to buy it and show it off here. :wink:

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
reminds me of an old Omega style or something and also like the monte carlo.

This is a pretty cool watch and good work sean on the review!

dizz

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
I can see what you mean about the Monte Carlo, at least in terms of the dial:
54d7_3.JPG

@Dizzy-- funny you should mention about the Omeeeega. In looking around for a good deal on a vintage chrono, I've come across quite a few 70s era Speedmasters. Boy howdee. They kind of went out of their way to make that watch as ugly as humanly possible back then. I guess that was the fashion, but even so, you'd think at some point, someone would have said, "hey, you know, before we sell this thing, everyone knows it's really awful, right?"

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Great find and great review on these. Would you also say that these share some styling cues with Breitling Chrono-Matics as well? I think they do.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
this is a cool thread. i am going to like this whole section. i believe it will be very popular!!!!! i love seeing what else is out there, it brings home the fact there is allot of very nice watches that cost the same or less than what some reps are costing now. this is cool. [smilie=alien.gif] [smilie=alien.gif] [smilie=alien.gif] [smilie=alien.gif]

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
TA8088 said:
Great find and great review on these. Would you also say that these share some styling cues with Breitling Chrono-Matics as well? I think they do.

No question. One thing that isn't clear to me is the relationship between Wakmann and Breitling. I'm not sure if Wakmann was owned by Breitling or what.

Also has some design similarities with the Tissot Navigator line as well.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
seanf said:
I can see what you mean about the Monte Carlo, at least in terms of the dial:

@Dizzy-- funny you should mention about the Omeeeega. In looking around for a good deal on a vintage chrono, I've come across quite a few 70s era Speedmasters. Boy howdee. They kind of went out of their way to make that watch as ugly as humanly possible back then. I guess that was the fashion, but even so, you'd think at some point, someone would have said, "hey, you know, before we sell this thing, everyone knows it's really awful, right?"

yeah some of those watches back then were ugly as fuck. But then again a lot of things back then were ugly compared to what we are used to seeing today. It was just sort of the shape of the case that reminded me of some other older watches.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Those are just too cool for school, Sean!

Too bad they're just a tick too small for me. I'd be all over that panda dial Type 1 chrono!!!

Great review, BTW.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
A couple of these are nice, I am not a big fan of the late 60's early 70's styling. Not all mind you but some are just too ugly to consider wearing, and Omega was a primary culprit.

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
You know I just picked up a copy of this last night at Barnes & Noble and read this article. It was fascinating. Well worth looking into for a gen purchase.

OneMan24

Horology Curious
22/2/09
:(

I'd hardly call my gen 70's Seamaster ugly....

Omega.jpg

To each their own I guess but I'd definitely wear mine over any rolex... :)

JPBreit

Horology Curious
26/4/09
Greatt watches mate! Good find :D
And that is lovely too OneMan24 ^^^ :D

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
Nice bump JC!

Thanks, Roo. I spend a bit of time digging through some old threads and found this.

These watches remind me of that Paul Newman Monaco that recently sold at auction.