• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GUG #4: The Limes Watch

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
The Limes Klassik Cartouche Silver Dial.

Limes (pronounced "Leem-ess")

A BRIEF HISTORY: Taken from the 2007 Wristwatch Annual.

If the term manufacture case existed, it would hardly apply better to another watch manufacturer than to LImes. This company was purely a case maker, and for this reason LImes's watches shine in their wonderfully produced, classically designed cases.

The Ickler case manufacturer produces above all high-quality watch cases for internationally renowned customers using strict quality codes and "made in Germany." The different case parts are manufactured by hightly qualified employees who work on the most modern CNC machines. Both the treatment of the case surfaces and the assembly of the watches require a large amount of talent and training.

Ickler GmbH was founded in 1924 by Karl Ickler, a trained chain maker who worked as a production foreman in foreign companies at the beginning of his career. He founded the watch case company upon returning to Pforzheim. After World War II, the company was rebuilt but the founder's sons, Heinz and Kurt. Today the company is managed by a third-generation Ickler, Thomas, an industrial engineer who at the end of the 1990's decided not only to manufacture high-quality cases, but also complete watches.

In 1990 the company began producing pivate label watches. Decades-long experience in the watch industry, a high level of quality, an already established production capability, and above all the desire to create something of his own led Thomas Ickler to the planning of the watch brand Limes a few years later. The concept was clear: high quality swiss movements in lavish manufacture cases by Ickler.

limescartouche_45_detail.jpg

SPECS and PRODUCT DETAILS:

Case diameter (mm): 38.5
Case thickness (mm): 9.4
HIghly decorated Eta 2824 movement
Manufacturers limited warranty: 2 years

Handsome stainless steel case entirely made in-house, with polished and satin finish and coin edge design.

Sapphire crystals on both sides of the watch, revealing the automatic winding movement with Glucydur balance, Nivarox 1 hairspring, and Incabloc shock absorption. The movement has been highly decorated with engraved rotor, Côtes de Genève, perlage, and blued screws.

Silver guilloché dial with Arabic hour markers and blue Breguet hands. Black leather strap with signed Limes deployant buckle.

limes24_697_detail.jpg

A PERSONAL NOTE: Why I bought this watch.

This watch appealed to me for many reasons. One, I really like small and obscure watch companies that pay attention to detail and quality, who do not pour tons of money into advertising and without the commercial hype. Another obviously was the price, purchased about 2 years ago for $850.00 from WatchBuys. Consider all you are getting for the price, a very highly decorated Eta 2824, a watch case that is entirely in-house (how many watchmaker's have this claim considering the price?) Also for an extra but optional $200.00 the company will engrave your name on the rotor for a nice personal touch. The very intricately made dial, comfortable strap and easy operating clasp makes this watch an awesome buy and a wonderful GUG.

For more Limes watches please have a look here.
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/limeswatches.asp

Just a few more pics.

GermanLimes006Large.jpg

GermanLimes007Large.jpg

GermanLimes004Large.jpg

GermanLimes005Large.jpg

GermanLimes009Large.jpg

:D

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Re: GUG: The Limes Watch

Awesome review and pics, Cybee. Relabeled and stickied.

I dig the watch, but I think they used more than just "Breguet hands." Looks like they also used a Breguet case, a Breguet dial, and a Breguet deployant clasp as well.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Re: GUG: The Limes Watch

seanf said:
I dig the watch, but I think they used more than just "Breguet hands." Looks like they also used a Breguet case, a Breguet dial, and a Breguet deployant clasp as well.

yep you're right Seanf...imagine that, a Breguet for under a grand. :D Thanks for the sticky.

oh well...just for fun here is one more pic of a Limes watch, divers version.

limesdiversiiblackchrono_1848_detai.jpg

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
cybee,

this watch will never grow old. total classic, like a Chronoswiss Kairos, Patek etc.

hard to beat for the price....and it really suits you well. great choice.

horologie_unitas

3/12/06
i boldly dare to say that ICKLER also manufactures also the dials for CHRONOSWISS.....and other famous brands.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
horologie_unitas said:
ANTEA ! ANTEA !!

WOO HOO Stefan......another fine uhr on the way. I got a nice e-mail from a girl who is an apprentice at Stowa and she said the watch should be done by mid-April. Very nice dealing with the Stowa people, can't wait. :D

300kph

24/5/13
Nice watches. Horrible name. But better than Lemons I suppose.

W

elconquistador

Certified
10/6/10
I got a similar Limes the first year or two they were in production for around $200. Was around 1999 I think. Ended up getting a friend one as a gift. Was really something special in its day. Sold it a long time ago when my tastes changed.

Genuine Wrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/19
What happened during WWII? I am keen to know as I will not purchase from companies that survived that period and carried on manufacturing during it. To do so, those companies must have supported Germany's war effort and been in league with the Nazis. It also raises questions about the possible use of slave labour, commonplace amongst German industries mid-war.

phelan771

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/2/14
Managed to handle the Limes Pharo Chronograph watch at a watch shop in Berlin in 2019. Even though the watch was nice for its price, it didn't catch my eyes.