• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GUG REVIEW #2 - Steinhart Nav B-Uhr

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06
If you like the IWC Big Pilot - This watch is for you. You can order one from Günter for less than $600.00 and it comes with probably one of the finest straps you will ever have.

I went about getting one a little different way - Here is my story (I posted this on a Gen sight a while back):

I have always been attracted to Pilot watches and love the rich history that accompany this type of watch.

One of the reasons I collect watches is that every watch has a story. Vintage watches come with a story already built in, but when you buy a new watch, it is up to you to give the watch a story.

This is the story I gave to my new Steinhart:

My daughter was quickly approaching the end of her school year in London and I had promised her that my wife and I would visit her while she lived in London and attended college. Prior to embarking on our trip to visit her, I was cruising around the web and stumbled on a "Big Pilot" watch thread. I had always loved IWC's and in particular the Big Pilot. With one of my kids having completed his college education, one attending college in London and two more remaining to put through college, it wasn't going to be anytime soon that I could afford an IWC Big Pilot. Steinhart was mentioned in this thread and I liked what I read about Steinhart watches so I decided to contact Steinhart about purchasing a watch.

After a few emails back and fourth I quickly discovered what a nice guy Günter Steinhart was. I explained to Günter that I would be visiting my daughter in London and that my wife and I were going to spend a few days in Germany as a side to our visit in the UK. Günter welcomed my desire to meet with him as I explained to him I had decided to purchase one of his watches as a memento of my trip. There was only one problem for me. I really liked the dial of his Nav B-Uhr hand wind (but not the case) and I really liked the case on his Nav B-Uhr limited edition automatic (but not the dial). Would it be possible for Günter to combine these two watches into one? It wouldn't hurt to ask I thought...

As it was, Günter was very receptive to the idea and told me - "Just come by and I will see what I can do."

My wife and I spent the entire morning with Günter as he shared his enthusiasm for watch making and told us his story of how he got into the business. He showed us several prototypes and allowed us to see watches that were in the designing stages, both on paper and in real life models. He had dozens of different types of leathers for straps and asked us to look through the samples and help him decide which leathers to use on his up coming watches. The leather was of outstanding quality and all I can say is the straps are as good as any I have ever seen. I anxiously waited for the opportunity to bring up the idea of the watch I wanted from him, but he went on... and on... and on...

We finally got to the topic of the watch I wanted. It was well worth the three hours plus my wife and I spent with Günter and when I asked him if he could make the watch he said, "Of course. I will have it ready in one week."

Günter thanked me for spending the morning with him and as a sign of his appreciation gave me one of his custom made straps for my watch. Imagine that! He thanked ME!

As my wife and I left, Günter remembered how much my wife loved the pink gold Nav B-Uhr, but that the 47mm size was too much for her. He stopped us as we were walking out the door and said, "I would like to make a watch for your wife. How about my new 44mm pilot in pink gold?" (earlier he had showed us a prototype of a scaled down 44mm Big Pilot he was going to release in April that essentially had the same dials of his bigger pilot watches, one with the small sub dial (hand wound) and see through back and one with an automatic movement and solid back.

I could see that Günter saw the enthusiasm my wife shared with him on his watch designs and seemed pleased that he could make her a "Limited Edition, 1 of 1 watch." He said that although the smaller Pilot watch would not be made in pink gold, for my wife, he would make an exception. He asked her which version and she chose the automatic with solid back. Günter then asked us to email him with "Whatever wording you want engraved on the back of the watch." This is what the watch will say:
Kathy, Germany 2008, Limited Signed Edition, Günter Steinhart, 1 of 1

I don't think I have to tell you how excited and completely amazed we both were! Günter has emailed me a mock up drawing of the watch and has promised the watch to my wife by the end of April when his new watches are released.

Unbelievable!! My wife and I now have stories for our watches and every time we look at them we will be reminded of the wonderful morning we spent with Günter Steinhart...

Here is few shots of the watch Günter made for me. It uses a case (000/3333 - he offered me a no serial number case, but allowed me to choose this one) from his Limited Edition Nav B-Uhr with polished bezel and double concaved sapphire crystal and the dial from his regular Nav B-Uhr with presentation back.
stein1.jpg

stein2.jpg

stein3.jpg

stein4.jpg

stein5.jpg

stein6.jpg

Günter brought out everything but the kitchen sink for us to see! - The protype of the 44mm is there..
stein7.jpg

Günter and his happy customer, now friend...
stein8.jpg

Update: Three of my good friends now have Steinharts and it is the one watch they constantly keep having total strangers ask/compliment them about.

Also, my wife has since received her watch and it it stunning! I will try and get some pictures up. I hope the pictures can do the watch justice...

Holy smokes! Forgot to put up the pictures of my wife's watch. Better late than never...

navb1.jpg

navb2.jpg

navb4.jpg

navb5.jpg

navb6.jpg

navb3.jpg

Reactions: Malik321

mickeypro

I'm Pretty Popular
29/6/06
Re: Steinhart Nav B-Uhr

if this watch had a date window i would prob have one....

I feel like ive read this story before but that time the city was Miami.

burnzilla

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/08

I have seen jake's watch in person at the socal gtg (remember me) and it truly changed my outlook on the pilot watch look.
Its incredibly beautiful, and frankly I want one lol. I hope i can some how use this story to eventually get steinhart pilot with special engravings :p. I just cant go to Germany :cry:

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06

mickeypro said:
if this watch had a date window i would prob have one....

I feel like ive read this story before but that time the city was Miami.

There is a link to Steinhart and Florida. He can not use the Steinhart name here in the States so he has a distributor out of Florida. He calls the watch line Debaufre...

Not sure what you mean by Miami - Augsburg Germany is a long way from Miami...

LegendofSpeed

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/06

Thanks for posting this... i think i am going to buy one myself again... but this time, i want a numbered one....

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07

Fantastic write-up and pics!

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California

wonderful wonderful story...i read it before...but enjoyed reading it again...

they now have it in 44 mm for the peeps that don't have the wrist for the 48 mm...
also the straps from them are quite amazing...i use their straps for other watches as well...

skylandout2.jpg

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06

I saw yesterday on FS at TZ for 375$ and that's a good price for this one...

Nice watch BTW..

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08

You are a very luck person, i wish i know Günter Steinhart and he would make a special watch for me :)

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Wow. Great, great, review Jake. I'm relabeling this as GUG REVIEW #2 and making it a permenant sticky. For anyone else wanting to have their reviews considered for the ol' sticky treatment (sorry, that sounds icky. Yet strangely attractive, somehow), Jake's post is a pretty good example. Pics, some history about the company, and some info on purchasing.

Jake48

Renowned Member
17/3/06

dylan said:
wonderful wonderful story...i read it before...but enjoyed reading it again...

they now have it in 44 mm for the peeps that don't have the wrist for the 48 mm...
also the straps from them are quite amazing...i use their straps for other watches as well...

skylandout2.jpg

dylan - I bought an extra strap from Gunter to do exactly what you did with the Skylander (nice look BTW). The last GTG we had here in So Cal I brought one of Gunter's thick 22mm straps. I placed it over the bracelet of a Grey Dial and a Black Dial Skylander. I thought it looked best on the Black dial, but it was real close.

I am ordering my Skylander at the end of this month. The strap will finally have it's home...

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Jake, you really get around, and I mean that in a good way. :wink: What a great story.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Wow. Quite the value for your money. Swiss made, unitas movement, sapphire, AR, superlume....
and models under $500. These small boutique brands are realy growing on me. Thank you so much for your story.

Guess you can buy a panerai with similar quality for 10 to 15 times more...

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
trevor2079 said:
...Guess you can buy a panerai with similar quality for 10 to 15 times more...

Woah, woah, woah. While I like the Steinhart watches A LOT, and will likely order one of their 44mm pilot watches, let's not get carried away.

As nice as the Steinhart watches are, I would not put them on the same quality level as Panerai. Sorry.

Jake, TOO COOL of a story, my friend! I can't wait to see the pics of your wife's rose gold 44mm! Great purchases, for certain.

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Love Panerai, just can't justify a $7K+ for a watch with a unitas movement.

Probably not the same fit and finish as a Panerai but you can't help but see the value in the Steinhart line....

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
hooligan said:
trevor2079 said:
...Guess you can buy a panerai with similar quality for 10 to 15 times more...

Woah, woah, woah. While I like the Steinhart watches A LOT, and will likely order one of their 44mm pilot watches, let's not get carried away.

As nice as the Steinhart watches are, I would not put them on the same quality level as Panerai. Sorry.

Spoken as a tried and true PAM Fan. Hooligan, do you even own a single watch that isn't a PAM, a PAM Homage, an unbranded PAM, a watch that has a PAM movement, or looks suspiciously like a PAM?

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
LOL

If I hadn't just bought a Corum ACC rep, the answer would be "no". 8) You almost got me.

I do have a Tissot Seastar1000 that is my gen beater, though. I had a Damasko DC66, but I sold it when someone offered me $800 more than I paid for it, even though I didn't have it listed for sale.

I'm *seriously* thinking about pre-ordering the MK II Watches LRRP, which looks like an old McQueen Explorer2, so that would be a <gasp> Rollie homage! Horror! I do like the watch, though.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Jake... This is an amazing story! I gotta say that smaller brand has plenty of passions untapped. Such watch will easily cost a lot more.

Wear it in good health!