Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

GUG REVIEW #1 -- Vostok Maxim Gorky

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUG REVIEW #1 -- Vostok Maxim Gorky

To kick off the inaugural GUG article, I thought I'd focus on a watch that I've already written about, the Vostok Maxim Gorky. This is not only because I'm lazy, but also because this is the watch that made me realize that there are some very cool gens under a grand out there that most people would have never heard of. OK, it's mostly because I'm lazy.

I first read about the Vostok Maxim Gorky in International Watch magazine. They had a really interesting article about Vostok, a Russian watch maker that has recently been making some real strides. You can read the original article here:
    http://www.detentewatches.com/images/sh ... MTJBRP.pdf

The watch that got my interest is a new one (just released in late August of this year) called the Maxim Gorky. Here's what the Vostok website has to say about the derivation of the name:

As the largest plane of its day, the Tupolev ANT-20 Maxim Gorky dominated the Soviet skies in the 1930s with eight powerful engines.

The plane carried an impressive array of equipment, which included a powerful radio called "Voice from the Sky", printing machinery, radio stations, a photo lab, a film projector with sound for showing movies in flight, a library and much more. For the first time in aviation history, this aircraft was also equipped with a ladder, which would fold itself and become a part of the floor. In another first for aviation, the aircraft used not only direct current, but alternating current of 120 volts.

The giant aircraft set a number of world records for payload carrying capacity.

The Maxim Gorky is a big ol' thing-- about 44mm. It's limited to 999 pieces, and it's got some pretty cool features as well. Here are some pics of all the different models:

Here are some of the specs:

Precision automatic / self-winding mechanism
    Decorated 2432 Vostok movement with blued parts and black rotor
    31ruby jewels
    Central second hand
    Day and Night disc
    Mineral crystal
    Two colour day and night indicator
    Power reserve minimum: 31 hours
    Shock resistance balance
    5 atm water resistant
    Date calendar
    All stainless steel 44 mm case, bicolor: stainless steel black-pvd-plated
    See-through dial with exposed winding rotor
    Engraved serial number
    Superluminova
    Stainless steel bracelet
    Vostok 2432 (RU) Mechanical lever movement
    32 jewels
    Frequency: 19800 vph
    Daily rate from -10 to + 30 s/day

One of the coolest, and most unusual, things about this watch is that the dial is see through, and you can actually see the rotor as it spins on your wrist.

And here's the best part. You can pick one of these up between $400 and $500 (although full retail is about $700). Best place to go is http://www.russia2all.com/maxim-gorky-- ... -delivery/ They're an AD for Vostok in the US. What's more, if you input the code GORKY15, you'll get an immediate 15% off. What's more is that you can talk directly with the AD himself (his name is Craig) at the BDWF forum here: http://www.bdwf.net/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=42231

The Maxim Gorky isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. But for the price of a new mid-range replica, it's a really cool piece. And you don't have to worry about anyone calling you out.
    Any advice for those just starting to get into replica collecting?
    Yes. Stay away. Stay very far way. Use your money on something more productive and less addictive like, say, blow, midgets and hookers.

Say it with me! Say it loud! Say it proud! Say it so google picks up the search terms!! Replica Watch Forum!! Replica Watch Forum!! Replica Watch Forum!!!

Seanf: "To whomever keeps putting homoerotic subtextual images on my James Bond avatars, fair warning. I will hunt you down and straight up murder you."

Re: GUG #1 -- Vostok Maxim Gorky

Seanf I think we finally agree on a watch I think its going to be my next purchase. I don't know which I like I think the PVD and Rose gold. Thats one of those watches I might buy more than one style. Thats a great find.

Sean K
    "....Short temper? Fuck that, I'VE got a short temper. My tempers as short as my dick is long!...."

Comment

bump!

Comment

Originally posted by seank1
        Seanf I think we finally agree on a watch I think its going to be my next purchase. I don't know which I like I think the PVD and Rose gold. Thats one of those watches I might buy more than one style. Thats a great find.

Sean K
        I've got my eye on that PVD and SS. Seriously tempted to pull the trigger, but I've already blown my wad, so to speak, on watches for the month.
        Yes. Stay away. Stay very far way. Use your money on something more productive and less addictive like, say, blow, midgets and hookers.

Say it with me! Say it loud! Say it proud! Say it so google picks up the search terms!! Replica Watch Forum!! Replica Watch Forum!! Replica Watch Forum!!!

Seanf: "To whomever keeps putting homoerotic subtextual images on my James Bond avatars, fair warning. I will hunt you down and straight up murder you."

Comment

Just to let everyone know I pulled the trigger on the PVD/Rose gold version. Should have it by Tuesday. I do a little review when it arrives.

SeanK
          "....Short temper? Fuck that, I'VE got a short temper. My tempers as short as my dick is long!...."

Comment

Awesome. Did you order it from Russia2all with that code? Not a bad deal at all.

BTW, for anyone interested, a RWG member named Ztech pulled the trigger on one of these and did a mini-review of it here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?sho ... &hl=vostok

Comment

Yes I ordered it from the site you provided. Thanks again. The only thing I wish it had was sapphire.

Sean K

Comment

Hey seank-- did you get your watch yet? Dying to hear your impressions.

Comment

They are really sharp looking watches and the price is right.

Comment

man they are nice

Comment

Working...
                    X