• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone have an opinion on the Squale 30 ATMOS Tropic GMT

syd01

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/10/16
I've been looking at getting a GEN diver for under a grand, and stumbled across this. Positives are both the price and fact it has an ETA 2893-2 with quickset GMT. Also Squale has a reasonably good reputation.

Negatives are its a Rolex homage and I'd prefer the Rolex, but funds do not permit!

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches/squale-watches/30-atmos-tropic-gmt-ceramica-sel-bracelet

I've done a bit of searching and there seems to be mixed reviews on the QC of Squale - issues with aftermarket service etc. I've also found the Steinhart Ocean One GMT whic appears to have the same movement, yet at a much cheaper price.

Was just wondering if anyone had experience of the brand or this particular watch.

Thanks!

Radman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/12/13
I don't know much about squale, but have had an eye on a steinhart and would would go with that brand instead.

syd01

27/10/16
I don't know much about squale, but have had an eye on a steinhart and would would go with that brand instead.

Yeah, I'm torn between the two. They both have the same movement. Both appear to be similar cases sizes. Yet Steinhart is a load cheaper.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

liq2

Known Member
4/12/16
Squale as a brand is rock solid. Don't have any doubts there. The Urban Gentry on Youtube does quite a bit on the brand. In fact, their divers are some of his favorite under a grand. Personally, I love the look of their blue dialed 50 Atmos. Having owned a steinhart, and being a fan, I would obv try that too, but there is something about Squale as well as how they are a case maker for top tier brands (blacpin) that makes them VERY attractive at their pricepoint.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/blood-in-the-water-water-in-its-blood-a-brief-history-of-squale

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
Bit late to the party but I bought one in November last year, it's a real beauty. Rock solid build, super accurate ETA 2826 and flawless quality.

I like the Squale hands on the tropic, no Mercedes star. Makes it less of a homage. I've checked out the Steinharts and wasn't quite as impressed with their quality vs Squale

I have their PanAm too

aeb07e3bc344966608587229b48c8a90.jpg

52865cf87e6db0309415880450700251.jpg
79bc20c0a2406adf1da64fff4b1962ce.jpg
28d93f015c8badace350d05011ee70be.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

syd01

27/10/16
Thanks for the feedback. Ended up with one - love it. Good alternative to the Pepsi GMT I'm saving for.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Also Squale has a reasonably good reputation.
More than reasonably good mate. Squale started out as a casemaker, the case of the vintage BP Fifty Fathoms is a Squale and that's only one example of a long list of famous vintage Divers that feature a Squale case. It wasn't until the 70s or so (IIRC) they began to make complete watches under their own brand name.

syd01

27/10/16
Awesome watch, congratz! I think Squale is totally underrated, of course unknown to the greater public, but very sophisticated and special. Wear it in good health!

Thanks! I'm very happy with it. It could do with a better clasp, but other than that it's great. Will keep me going until I get that lotto win and then I can get a Pepsi!

Sent from the RWI App

syd01

27/10/16
More than reasonably good mate. Squale started out as a casemaker, the case of the vintage BP Fifty Fathoms is a Squale and that's only one example of a long list of famous vintage Divers that feature a Squale case. It wasn't until the 70s or so (IIRC) they began to make complete watches under their own brand name.

Thanks, it's definitely good quality for the price, quality of the case and dial is close to that of my Gen Speedy. It seems that many of the YouTube watch reviewers are divided on their opinions. TGV cannot say enough positive things about them (so much I suspect he may be sponsored by them) while others like Archie seem to hate them and claim their provenance is fabricated.

Either way, I'm good - would still like to see the original 60's Squale diver that the seller (Gnomon) claims this watch is based on... :)

Sent from the RWI App

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
others like Archie seem to hate them and claim their provenance is fabricated.
Archie is not a reviewer, he's a clown. I assure you that provenance is not fabricated, where the hell did the dumbass say that? God he blathers on about shit he has no idea of; it's not only the same company its the same family that own it to this day.

1675Fanboy

3/9/15
Archie is not a reviewer, he's a clown. I assure you that provenance is not fabricated, where the hell did the dumbass say that? God he blathers on about shit he has no idea of; it's not only the same company its the same family that own it to this day.
Agreed, I can't stand Archie he's a prize tw*t. I think his vocabulary is limited to around 20 words and he has to shout every fecking one of them....

himynameiswil

6/7/16
I've been looking at the 1521. It'll happen eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I have the Blueray Atmos 20, which is no longer available and they sell immediately on eBay for about $850. I have thought about flipping it but the dial is so nice and it's perfect on my time graph. The only watch that comes close is a Swiss eta 2824 rep, when they first made the AP15400 and I tore it apart and had it serviced by my watchmaker, a friends 80+ year old father.

Squale is a fantastic brand. I too have a Steiny Ocean One as my knock around watch. It's pretty great too. I can rock a 42mm case just as easy as a 40 as I have a 7.5" wrist.

I can even get away with the Henson homage to the BL 50 Fathoms that's a bit bigger. It's the limited Blackbeard and I don't wear it very much but it's probably one of the best lines watches I have ever seen.

I still like reps but with a strong dollar and ETA starting to provide movements again it's hard not to love some of these watches that much more. No reliability issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psssniper

Supporter
Certified
25/4/17
Recently picked up a Squale Tropic and PanAm. Liking them a lot altho the tropics getting more wrist time, maybe due to the mesh bracelet. Always have a hard time with bracelets because of a large wrist but the Squales were perfect.

edit: uploaded from the phone sorry about the pics

Attachments

• IMG_4990.PNG
    IMG_4990.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4975.JPG
    IMG_4975.JPG
    809.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4997.JPG
    IMG_4997.JPG
    734.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Therion666

sbjb93

I'm Pretty Popular
27/5/15
I have just received this Squale 30 atmos vintage ceramica and I'm so impressed with the build quality and timekeeping but I feel it's a bit too bid for my wrist so think I'll be flipping this one
e659c626e9a270dc6aecc2c14078b75a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk