• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

TimeFactors PRS 22 Speedbird III

Overport

14/2/13
I picked this up before Christmas and thought I’d take a few moments to share.
I have had a few reps die young lately, so I was in the market for something that I didn’t have to worry about during watersports and the rough and tumble.

Being a flyer I have always liked the classic pilot style, and my Mark XVII rep is a favourite.
I like older style watches and the similarity of the Speedbird III to the earlier IWC Mark X attracted me and after some deliberating I pulled the pin just prior to XMAS.

At GBP$480, there are prolly cheaper options available, but after having a couple of reps die in short order, I was prepared to push the boat out a bit, and the specs seem to meet my needs.

http://www.timefactors.com/speedbird.htm

Shipping was by UPS. Shipping from UK to Australia during the Christmas peak period took only 4 days. There is a GMT version, but I already have a GMT watch and was after a simple dial.

Case by Fricker (Sinn), top grade ETA2824-2 movement, double domed crystal with underside AR. The crystal has a very flat dome. It comes packaged in a damn handy travel case along with the ever popular Nato strap.

I must admit I didn’t like the shape of the hour hand and figured I’d put a mark XVII hand set on, but I’m liking it now.

Screw down crown - unsigned

The ‘sunken date wheel’ is due to the soft iron dial being 1.2mm thick – for antimagnetic properties I’m told. If I ever get caught in a Hadron Collider tunnel it’s good to know my ass is covered. Well at least up to 80000 A/m!

I have thick wrists and usually don’t need to downsize bracelets out of the box, but this one was very large and needed links removed. An easy job as it turns out with the screw links. The quality of the bracelet links is extremely good, although it needs oil OTB.

Solid caseback with specs engraved. Sorry no movement pics. Its watertight and I’m not going to mess with it for a pic of a bog standard ETA2824-2. Power reserve seems very good (day or two) although I have not timed it.

My only gripe with the double butterfly clasp is that if it comes to rest on the wrist, some wrist movements (no not that…) will activate the clasp bracelet. I have not had this happen with other watches before, so will look into wether adjustment is possible.

Its 39mm across. Given the trend to large units it might wear a little smaller than many would like. It’s small size is not really noticeable on the wrist and I feel like I’m wearing something that’s robust and solid.

Lume shots to follow. SL lume is great, it’s the camera that’s shitty.

Overall, I’m extremely pleased and very satisfied. The impression is of a well made dependable timepiece that is also very durable. I have many reps and gens to choose from, but subconsciously this seems to wind up on my wrist most of the time.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Nice one, very much an IWC homage.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Very nice !
Congrats to you !

straycat

Renowned Member
27/11/12
Great watch! Timefactor has been consistency making some cool watches year after year. I own 2 and always looking to add more to my small collection.
8E405EA8-09CB-4501-BBB2-C529DDA96ABE_zpskgop4xoa.jpg

12819905-FF2A-4CC0-A914-1A5ABF50833A_zpsqj2nxqxh.jpg

My PRS 20-LE with Soprod finished movement.
B7326FA3-BBE5-40EB-BE46-34C1B822271C_zpsgifkuaxv.jpg

Aerowatch with eta 7760 movement.

Sinner556

Horology Curious
6/12/14
Nice one, very much an IWC homage.

Not sure I agree. I think it's a fairly different take on the general Flieger pilot design as made by a number of German watch companies. Actually I wish it had more classic shaped hands but the size and specs are perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wankerdude

Renowned Member
18/8/13
I had the cream colored dial version and I loved everything about it but the hands. They were just to thin for night time use for me. But one of my favorite things about the watch is the bracelet, hands down one of the best I have ever experienced. Just as good as the IWC version and super stout.

I dig some of Eddie's products but he himself tends to be a wanker on his forum.

Congrats on the watch, you should try it on a NATO it works perfect on it.

Overport

14/2/13
Cheers, I might need to if I cant stop the clasp from popping open.

Great bracelet though....