• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which rep watch would you recommend to wear on interviews?

Rellikx

Looking Around
27/3/21
And do you guys think it makes a difference? I'd be interviewing with people who make approx like 250k to 700k a year in the US

Bloke In Brighton

Horology Curious
24/10/16
I reckon firstly wear a watch that you love, it's easier to carry it off. The thing is this if I interview someone, naturally, I'll look at their watch but it's not just that, you gotta match it all. No point in wearing a 30-40K watch if your clothing doesn't match and more importantly the car you turn up in. Interviewers will look at your social media posts as well as see what you get up to in your spare time. Base the level of your watch to 10% of your last salary as an investment, that's a perfectly acceptable level to wear. Also, take into account the person interviewing you, check them out, see what they're wearing. Best of luck

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
And do you guys think it makes a difference? I'd be interviewing with people who make approx like 250k to 700k a year in the US

What kind of interview will you be doing, and also, are you featured in the interview in any way? Like both you and interviewee on screen or in the same picture?
Also, do you hope to impress anyone or get noticed during the process?

Reactions: Allure

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
Show some balls and wear a RM ... on each wrist! This shows who is the boss in the room. Maybe also add a full gold Rolex, Royal Oak and Nautilus. Either additionally on the wrists or just place them on the table. Doesn't matter.

Serious answer - wear what you like, but it also depends on the kind of interview. Is it a job interview? Then I would wear a subtle watch, maybe one not one everyone notices. I wouldn't wear a super expensive watch to a job interview, just leaves a bad impression. If it's a press interview or something like that, it doesn't really matter, but if you are the interviewer, I would also not wear something that steals the show. If it's an interview that will be public, keep in mind that maybe some experts also see it and might call you out on replicas.

Keishara

Daytona Nerd
Patron
25/2/21
Didn't realise interviews in the US can be so vain.

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire

Read the room, and read the people.

These people may be on this kinda money, but watches may not matter to them at all. I think I read somewhere that Bill Gates, one of the richest men in the world wears a cheapo.

They could be Tech people who would like to see you embrace the latest tech culture, ie. An apple watch.

They could be Rolex fans and you rock in with a Hublot, I imagine that's like an attention magnet on the wrist.

They may also call you out on it, so perhaps wear a watch that has sentimental value, or a cool story attached, that would elicit conversation and generate rapport.

But my cardinal rule, is never ever wear a watch that is better than your boss / potential boss:p

Wear something that makes you proud, and gives you a genuine smile when you look down, can't be any truer than that.

And don't wear a rep if it's likely to feature on any social media, unless you're prepared to fess up and admit it proudly.

Last edited:

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
I found that commenting/complimenting on the interviewers watch (if applicable) did more than showing off what you have. Your attention to a small details, observations, knowledge, etc... go a long way. Use your strengths.

Keep it short and move on.

I did this (unscripted) when I noticed the interviewer had on a xentum (when it was up and coming). It stuck with him. After I was hired we had more conversations on and off. He would find me to shoot the shit.

Yes superficial. But paying someone ancompliment and finding common interests are keys to social interaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read the room, and read the people.

These people may be on this kinda money, but watches may not matter to them at all. I think I read somewhere that Bill Gates, one of the richest men in the world wears a cheapo.

There are pics all over the soshe meeds with Bill wearing a Casio Duro but I'm not buying it. It's a great watch for the money but he wants us all to think he's just an ordinary guy - just like you, except for the obvious of course.
Interviewers want to know you will fit in with the "Team", if you are going for a manual job wear a G-shock. If it's a desk job wear a Seiko something or other. Don't try to upstage anyone in the interview. Don't wear an expensive flashy watch if the rest of you doesn't match the image.

christobear

22/10/15
I found that commenting/complimenting on the interviewers watch (if applicable) did more than showing off what you have. Your attention to a small details, observations, knowledge, etc... go a long way. Use your strengths.

Keep it short and move on.

I did this (unscripted) when I noticed the interviewer had on a xentum (when it was up and coming). It stuck with him. After I was hired we had more conversations on and off. He would find me to shoot the shit.

Yes superficial. But paying someone ancompliment and finding common interests are keys to social interaction.

I agree with you. I’ve made connections with several people at work based on watches. One executive I caught in the elevator and I said “nice Milgauss,” he said, “what?” Lol. Was a gift from his wife, didn’t know what it was, and probably didn’t even notice the credit card charge.

I don’t bring attention to what I’m wearing, just compliment others when I see something cool. Couple Breitlings, Speedmaster, DJ, Portugieser & Big Bang (same guy) and our CEO wears a white gold YMII.

Reactions: Essray

sukwonee

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/11
PNW
I know it's hard to comprehend but maybe just maybe there might not be much correlation between what watch you wear to an interview and how likely you will land the job.

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
It’s just a social interaction tool. Break the ice, get noticed, pay a compliment. It shouldn’t be overt.

Reactions: rwacc

WiseTruth

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/2/21
The Breitling navitimer B01 :

009_Breitling-Navitimer-Chronograph-43mm-Stainless-Steel-AB0120.jpg

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
My boring answer - no watch. They don't need that piece of info.

When I worked and had to attend a meeting I would take off my rep Rolex and lock it in my office desk. I had a very satisfying job but was somewhat underpaid, worked in government.

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
I literally just made a connection with a physician I was teaching. He noticed my hulk and struck up an off topic conversation. “Are you a collector?” I noticed he was wearing a patek. Yeah! I just commented on “how unassuming” they are and how comfortable that must be.

I didn’t “peacock” my watch. He just noticed it when I reached and my sleeve cam up.

The conversation went to the recent new releases from Rolex. That lead to a great interaction for the next hour or so.

Common ground and hobbies.

Reactions: mpx and AlphaProt