• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying a NEW rep and having a service?

Max Dad

Reloj Amor
Supporter
Certified
28/1/21
Spain
Please enlighten me as to why I you would want to get a full service done for like 200 euro (?) on a new rep? Thx

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
You just don’t, unless you’re building a high end franken and you want to make sure it doesn’t need to be opened before 5 years at least.
Otherwise, to me it just doesn’t make sense to service a running watch.
Do it in case any issues come up.

Reactions: Max Dad

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Some owners who would rather pre-empt any problems by having their new watch serviced. These reps aren't assembled in clean room conditions and it's possible the person who put your movement together might be skimping on the lubrication in order to take some oil home to use for cooking. However, this is very much a "maybe" scenario, and your watch could run without any issues for years. So I'm with Nikz19 on this one - I don't have mine serviced unless/until a problem occurs.

Max Dad

Reloj Amor
Supporter
Certified
28/1/21
Spain
Thanks guys, that's really good to know......nothing worse than hitting an issue down the road, only to hear 'didn't you know you should have got it serviced before going swimming....'

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Why service a new movement? No no no...if there is an issues with the movement then yes but otherwise why?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks guys, that's really good to know......nothing worse than hitting an issue down the road, only to hear 'didn't you know you should have got it serviced before going swimming....'

Ah! Well now, swimming while wearing your rep is another thing entirely, and has nothing to do with servicing. I would very, very strongly suggest that you have the watch seals and waterproofing checked by someone who knows what they're doing before you even think about getting your rep into contact with water.

Reactions: Nikz19

Liquid Snake

Known Member
28/2/21
Florida
I wouldn't service until either a problem occurs or 4-5 years has passed. Maybe 3 if you plan on swimming with your watch but I would get the seals checked before putting it in a inch of water.