Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do all the gen parts come from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Where do all the gen parts come from?

    Not a serious question but something I've been curious about for a while. Where are all the gen dials, bezels, hands, etc. that are used in franken builds sourced from? Are they taken from broken gens or do they somehow slip through the cracks of Rolex and other manufacturer's supply/service chains as brand new parts? I've been reading a lot about franken builds on here lately but I always imagine a poor gen missing its dial each time I see a rep with gen parts in it lol

    #2
    they're from QueTip . He buy gen pieces from Authorized Dealers and then split them up for parts.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by flyinhawaiian View Post
      Not a serious question but something I've been curious about for a while. Where are all the gen dials, bezels, hands, etc. that are used in franken builds sourced from? Are they taken from broken gens or do they somehow slip through the cracks of Rolex and other manufacturer's supply/service chains as brand new parts? I've been reading a lot about franken builds on here lately but I always imagine a poor gen missing its dial each time I see a rep with gen parts in it lol
      I assume, but could be wrong, that it could in part be like insurance write offs in cars. The watch gets damaged and its not economically viable to repair, as the sum of the replacement parts (& associated labour) exceed the replacement value of the watch.

      So someone gets a new watch, happy days, but then theres a damaged one left, that could still have salvageable parts, and it ends up on auction sites etc.

      Could be 100% wrong though, will defer to the veteran members on this one, as havent tried to source (or determine provenance) GEN parts yet, but makes some kinda sense to me.


      Comment


        #4
        A mechanical watch is like any other machine - if you over-fill it with energy, then it will explode. Think of a car: if you put in too much petrol, then it will blow up. I've seen this happen in numerous films and documentaries online. So, if a watch is extremely over-wound, a small but violent explosion can occur, which will scatter the watch's parts all over. The owner, often having lost a hand to the explosion, will stagger off in shock. And then people will come along, pick up the parts that are left, and sell them on eBay.

        I mean, I'm just assuming this is what happens. But I could be wrong.
        My FrankenSub Collection
        My Sub Collection
        My Seamaster Collection
        My 1675 Adventure

        Comment


          #5
          An interesting question. I have wondered many times myself.

          I mean I guess the Rolex factory would wonder if you as a watch smith would order like 5-10 DW for a submariner!? It would be a "hard-to-explain-order".

          I have some thoughts of where some parts comes from but better not write that. Will let other that knows better share their knowledge.

          I will follow this...

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Akilles View Post
            An interesting question. I have wondered many times myself.

            I mean I guess the Rolex factory would wonder if you as a watch smith would order like 5-10 DW for a submariner!? It would be a "hard-to-explain-order".

            I have some thoughts of where some parts comes from but better not write that. Will let other that knows better share their knowledge.

            I will follow this...
            I think I get what those unwritten thoughts could potentially be I'd say a chunk could probably 'sourced' that way

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by P..DR..D View Post

              I think I get what those unwritten thoughts could potentially be I'd say a chunk could probably 'sourced' that way
              Never considered this as a source, but now I'm even more intrigued...

              Comment


                #8
                What's with all these oblique (and in some cases, completely upfront) references to theft/stolen goods around here recently?
                My FrankenSub Collection
                My Sub Collection
                My Seamaster Collection
                My 1675 Adventure

                Comment


                  #9
                  It was said purely in jest and no offence intended.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Can't answer for anyone but me. Firstly, I have no idea where parts comes from (remember this), hopefully in a legal way.

                    But lets get som facts straight. Buying/making watch replicas is illegal in many ways and if you don't know that then I'm sorry...

                    So if some of us have thoughts that parts also sometimes COULD be sourced in a non-legal way, I don't think that makes us stupid. Especially since it's a fact that gen watches gets stolen around the world.

                    Again, I don't know. People with more experience of modding are free to enlighten us.

                    I personally dont ask my modder where he gets my gen parts from as I don't think it's any of my business.

                    Last edited by Akilles; 25-02-21, 11:31.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by p0pperini View Post
                      What's with all these oblique (and in some cases, completely upfront) references to theft/stolen goods around here recently?
                      I mean, if they are from a "legit" source then no one should take offence when talking about it, right?

                      Sometimes i really wonder where some gen 116500 bezels or dials come from, are the original watches rocking CF bezels or Noob dials? Do the original owners know about it? Or are the original owners the ones that decided to do something like this?

                      I should make a post about it and see what everyone thinks about it, seems quite interesting
                      Last edited by mari115; 25-02-21, 11:22.
                      "What's the biggest tell in a rep?"

                      "You!"

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by mari115 View Post

                        I mean, if they are from a "legit" source then no one should take offence when talking about it, right?

                        Sometimes i really wonder where some gen 116500 bezels or dials come from, are the original watches rocking CF bezels or Noob dials? Do the original owners know about it? Or are the original owners the ones that decided to do something like this?

                        I should make a post about it and see what everyone thinks about it, seems quite interesting
                        I knew I remembered the sig from someone on one of the threads, and I've paraphrased on other threads, full credit to ya, so true.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X