• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Keeping your watches

grayson

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/12/20
Hello just wanted to ask how you would best keep your watches.
Should one get a watch winder for an automatic?
Do you remove the a battery inside or do you take them out when not used?
Where do you get your reps serviced if needed?
Thanks

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
WristClean, a cleaning product, helps any watch look their best. I'll let others answer your other questions.

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Watch winder for autos, battery tender for battery ones, just wear them and enjoy the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Watch winder will save headache of resetting them frequently. Battery replace when it dies, look at the watchsmith and supporting vendor section if something goes wrong. Most important....enjoy them and relax.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Some argue that a watch winder increases the wear on a movement because it's kept running constantly. Some argue that a watch movement is more likely to go wrong if it's allowed to sit not running for a long time. No one has put forward a compelling argument either way from what I've read on the subject, so I don't bother with watch winders. I keep my collection in cheap watch boxes that hold a dozen watches and I enjoy setting the date and time when I pick which watch I'm going to wear today.

It might be different if I only had one or a couple of watches. I might also get a winder if I had a watch with a whole load of complications that would be a PITA to have to set every time I wanted to wear it.

For me, buying watch winders would be spending money that I'd rather spend on buying more watches (or getting them fixed if they go wrong and I can't fix them myself). I use watchmakers who are known on the rep forums: Ado213, Rolie.

I leave the batteries in my quartz watches and replace them when they die.

Last edited:

grayson

14/12/20
Thank you for the great advice everyone. The argument on the necessity of having a watch winder is a good point to raise and might eventually boil down to just preference. Thanks for all the valuable and input. Its always nice to learn

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
Just to add my 2 cents with regards to watch winders and other boxes; I have four winders that each hold two each for a grand total of eight watches... only one of them is actually in use. The other three are just fancy holders. Here's why:
1. I only have two automatics with complications that are annoying enough to set that I want them on winders.

2. When I had all winders running I found that some watches were always at the ready but still rarely worn... might as well have put them in regular cases.

3. When all of the winders were running it made for a constant annoyance of one running in the background as I slept (or tried to fall asleep). I keep my winders on my nightstand because that is most convenient for me.

4. Setting the date/time and winding one every time I pick up a watch is a satisfying experience.

Most of my quartz have batteries in them, some that I don't wear do not. My solars rotate into illuminated boxes during the winter, otherwise they live in regular watch boxes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
For me, i prefer the winder because im more concerned about constantly pulling out the delicate crown stem (and risk breaking it off) to set the time than i am of wearing down the components by constantly running in the winder.

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
I got some inexpensive winders Recently. I found that when my automatic watches just sat, they stopped working :mad: It may have just been my bad luck. However, as others mentioned, I like to have my favorite watches on deck and ready without having to re set the date. Also, the presentation of my new winders look pretty good :D
Also, regarding the noise, they're in my office, so never hear anything anyways.

Reactions: boogieman

grayson

14/12/20
Very valuable insight everyone. Does taking out batteries for rarely used watches ok? will it affect its function? Beautiful set up on the winders BTW. Thanks for sharing

JasonT

Horology Curious
4/12/20
Big Ole Texas
I don't understand why you would go through the hassle of taking the battery out on any watch. It's going to tick for at least a year or 2 before needing to replace. Extremely easy to do or a few bucks at a local watch shop. I rotate my watch every day and not wearing the same watch twice a week rotate. From rep, gen, quarts, and whatnot. So I put my automatic replica in a watch winder. I don't want it to prematurely wear down for changing time/date every time I picked it up again for my rotation.

I have a cheap $50 Versa for about 2 years now and with the lowest setting, everything running like it supposed to be. Just wear your watch and enjoy it.

I got some inexpensive winders Recently. I found that when my automatic watches just sat, they stopped working :mad: It may have just been my bad luck. However, as others mentioned, I like to have my favorite watches on deck and ready without having to re set the date. Also, the presentation of my new winders look pretty good :D
Also, regarding the noise, they're in my office, so never hear anything anyways.

That's some nice watch winder. Got a link to it?

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
If you're worried about the battery wearing out on a seldom worn quartz watch, simply pull the stem out. This will stop the quartz movement from running. More sensible than removing the battery.

Personally I despise quartz movement watches. Tik tik, tik...

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Personally I despise quartz movement watches. Tik tik said:
The quartz movement used in the Bulova Precisionist models are an exception IMO. The smoothest sweep second hand I've seen, mesmerizing actually.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
The quartz movement used in the Bulova Precisionist models are an exception IMO. The smoothest sweep second hand I've seen, mesmerizing actually.

I totally agree. I have one. The key being the beautiful smooth seconds hand sweeping at what ? 35,800 bpm?
Makes Rolex and others with 28,800 bpm look like a cheap 21j with that jerky seconds sweep. Too bad can't use the Bulova precisionist quartz in the Rolex reps. Could be the best of both worlds.

Definitely the exception as you've stated.

altaylar1

Known Member
23/9/20
I got some inexpensive winders Recently. I found that when my automatic watches just sat, they stopped working :mad:

Yeah, that must be because of the Asian movements inside. The movements in the reps are awful, don't wear for a couple of days, and day are as dead as a doorknob. My gens are still running beautifully, after 2 months of resting in their boxes.

To answer the OP, I think winder is not really necessary. I don't know how true that is (though I suspect it is), it is usually suggested to use your watch every once in a while, to have the oil properly distributed. I see that sort of like running the car to keep the battery charged, give it a go once every couple of weeks and you are fine (and once a week for the cars;) ).

I usually wear my Japanese gens daily, rotating between two, and the reps once in a while when the occasion calls for it. So the gens are always charged and ready to go, and I wind the reps before each usage, which feels good actually

Reactions: grayson

boogieman

11/8/20

Ooooh was waiting for someone to share their winder pics! This got me sold! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rello

20/8/19
Germany
Is there any special brand for a watchwinder which u can suggest?

Bill_C

21/10/19
North of Mexico, South of Canada
Is there any special brand for a watchwinder which u can suggest?
In general, the more you spend, the better the winder. Wolf make great winders but are pricey. Depends on what you plan to use it for.
Cheap ones from Amazon work fine for most stuff but you'll replace them every few years. One Wolf will last a lifetime.

Some cheap ones even allow you to choose how it winds (direction/interval/duration) much like Wolf winders.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend now vs. spending later.

Reactions: grayson

Rello

20/8/19
Germany
In general, the more you spend, the better the winder. Wolf make great winders but are pricey. Depends on what you plan to use it for.
Cheap ones from Amazon work fine for most stuff but you'll replace them every few years. One Wolf will last a lifetime.

Some cheap ones even allow you to choose how it winds (direction/interval/duration) much like Wolf winders.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend now vs. spending later.

yo thx for reply. i will have a look at Wolf! i would like to buy my first "expensive" gen watch in the near future, and i will not wear this watch everyday.. so i need a good solution for the time not wearing the watch..to set it everytime i wanna wear it will be annoying i guess ;D