• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First post regarding my gen yachtmaster

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
Hey guys,

I’m obviously new here and I need to some help in being pointed in the right direction .I currently own a genuine yacht Master rhodium dial Whiteface I believe it’s a 2001. I had just purchased an a ARF yacht Master with an SH3135 movement. I was wondering if the two watches can be interchangeable with each other including the movement itself. I commonly hear the term Franken thrown around so I’m guessing that’s what it means. If anyone has any knowledge or experience please feel free to reach out to me and shoot me in the right direction so I can look into it the right way.I am interested in enter changing the bezel, the band, and if possible the movement inside of the watches. Please let me know as soon as I plan on keeping both of the watches and wearing the Franken out in public for reasons of people being robbed, so if that happens I still have my genuine parts inside of the watch. Thank you so much and I hope to hear from
some of you soon!

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
putting a rep movemet in a gen case , or visa versa wont help you to not get robbed,, or am i missing the point here ?

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
putting a rep movemet in a gen case , or visa versa wont help you to not get robbed,, or am i missing the point here ?

You’re missing the point. I want rep parts in a genuine case so if I get robbed or whatever the case may be, I still have the movement and the platinum bezel on the replica case. My question is though, can this be done?

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
If I were you I would not do anything to your genuine Rolex. It may destroy the value. Just wear the rep when out in public.

Ok but just for my knowledge, is it possible to do? I have a watch maker here that works on Rolex watches and need to know if it’s even possible with the sh3135 movement.

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
they will both be franken at this point i think

Can you elaborate? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject I just hear the word thrown around a lot. I have gen parts for submariners etc but how can I tell if it will be compatible with a rep?

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
If I were you I would not do anything to your genuine Rolex. It may destroy the value. Just wear the rep when out in public.

But can’t it be put back together? The rep is such a difference to me than the gen. All of my fiends would catch it. To the average person, no, but in my workplace where EVERYONE has a genuine watch, it would be an instant tell.

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
Can’t you get your timepiece insured, like jewelry?

Unfortunately it’s a 2001 rhodium dial. I bought from a local jeweler here. No papers but I had it authenticated. I want to take the ARF sh3135 and swap the parts so I’m a way yes Franken the watch. Besides the movement, bezel, date and dial, the case is identical. I don’t care about having a rep case with genuine components. The genuine case will just have all of the rep parts. Does that make sense?

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
This is madness. You want to take a genuine Rolex, and take out the movement and bezel, and put fake stuff in it? Madness! All for the purpose of what? Not getting called out by people in your office?

My advice would be a) keep the genuine watch as is, and wear it with pride. b) Get a good insurance policy, so that in the unlikely event that you are robbed, you will be covered financially, c) at a push, wear the rep on weekends when you are not at risk of getting called out. d) dont wear your gen to places wear you are at a high risk of getting mugged!

Good luck, and wear your gen, and rep (if you decide to get it) with pride. For what its worth, I highly doubt your colleagues would be able to tell the gen from rep as easily as you say.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Okay to be 100% clear. Your genuine is a 16613, the ARF is a 116613? One is a 5 digit, one a 6 digit. The most valuable part of your genuine is the midcase. You can send that in to Rolex with aftermarket parts and they would reconstruct it for a significant fee. You're better off perusing M2M and picking up a used Franken 5 digit if that's your desire, to have a rep as a daily and save the genuine. All that aside, the only thing that will transfer to your ARF is the movement without modification.

Ex-ki

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/12
France
If you are worried about your gen to be stolen from you, put it in a safe and wear the rep as a daily beater. That's it.
No one will ever see that it's a rep.

Bdoggg123

Horology Curious
13/10/20
This is madness. You want to take a genuine Rolex, and take out the movement and bezel, and put fake stuff in it? Madness! All for the purpose of what? Not getting called out by people in your office?

My advice would be a) keep the genuine watch as is, and wear it with pride. b) Get a good insurance policy, so that in the unlikely event that you are robbed, you will be covered financially, c) at a push, wear the rep on weekends when you are not at risk of getting called out. d) dont wear your gen to places wear you are at a high risk of getting mugged!

Good luck, and wear your gen, and rep (if you decide to get it) with pride. For what its worth, I highly doubt your colleagues would be able to tell the gen from rep as easily as you say.

I agree. But my question still stands if someone were to swap the parts of these watches will VSH3135 model be compatible with a genuine model. If so, then going forward before buying such a watch, should be taken apart and examined thoroughly before purchasing Due to reasons like this. Now my whole point of this question is to figure out if it is possible if someone were to want to do something that’s crazy. Thanks guys.