• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Budget Replacement Insert for Tudor 7928 Build

tdv

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
27/11/18
Sadly my attempts at bleaching my cartel insert went awry and basically just stripped the paint in a few areas rather than really bleaching anything. I suspect it's because I've worn the watch and given the insert some scratches I was unaware of prior to the bleaching. Anyhow, the insert isn't viable for the build any longer.

Now I'm looking for a budget replacement (sub $30) since I want to try my hand at bleaching again, preferably also something from Europe for shipping and speed. It seems that most inserts have far too thin fonts and Yuki is $48 shipping and minimum $100 orders.

Is it possible to purchase cartel inserts?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
:ttiwwop:

Sorry, but c'mon, we all have to share the modding triumphs and the disasters too... :)

For budget inserts you're probably best off going to eBay. You could try asking Marv or Mary whether they can source Cartel inserts - you never know. I recently checked with Marv if he could get me a Cartel midcase, but he said they only supply the complete case set.

tdv

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
27/11/18
:ttiwwop:

Sorry, but c'mon, we all have to share the modding triumphs and the disasters too... :)

For budget inserts you're probably best off going to eBay. You could try asking Marv or Mary whether they can source Cartel inserts - you never know. I recently checked with Marv if he could get me a Cartel midcase, but he said they only supply the complete case set.

lol, true

VmzXUA.jpg

Sadly I didn't think to take pictures right after, so this is with some further attempts using scotch brite, but maybe the scratches left of the 30 are the closest, they started with a bronze'ish hue though. It was like all my microscratches were just highlighted while the insert stayed completely black and glossy. Especially the area next to the pip, which I fucked up.

I talked with trusty who said he could source BPF metallic inserts for $35 a piece and $20 shipping.

On eBay I'm having a hard time finding exactly what I'm looking for

EU seems to have these three, quite pricey and thin-font:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Qual...8/164247522630
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bezel-inl...8/182342985350
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FADED-BLA...0/313152875247

From the US there are these two:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEZEL-INS...K/163579665648 WSO Insert
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bezel-Ins...1/311616562344 this one seems to have the font closest to the original fat font. Would have to try to negotiate for cheaper shipping though.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It was like all my microscratches were just highlighted while the insert stayed completely black and glossy.
The same thing happened to me when I tried scratching up an insert (for a Willard Seiko I was working on) before bleaching it. The bleach massively exaggerated the scratches and the resulting spiderweb looked horrific.Total hypocrite that I am, I don't have photos of that disaster to share, as I ended up making the insert a ghost job by bleaching all the remaining black off it!

WRT your options -

That price from Andrew sounds pretty hefty. You could get a full case set from Marv for about the same money lol!

The fonts on those EU eBay choices do look weak. The pearls are pretty nasty too (not unsual for that to be the case of course).

I've pretty much given up on WSO as it seems really hard to know exactly what you're going to get based on their eBay photos. And I've mostly had rubbish inserts from them, so they're off my insert supplier list.

The watchparts one looks pretty good. But yeah, annoying that the postage doubles the price!

And I've just remembered that Cousins here in the UK do pretty good budget inserts for 4 digit Subs. I bought a couple some time back - I'd forgotten about them because I ordered MilSub inserts by mistake, so they're now stored away in the depths of a parts drawer...

Last edited:

tdv

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
27/11/18
In regards to pearls I have an Athaya pearl here, need to figure out what to fill it with, though.

I had actually planned on buying inserts from Cousins, but went away from it again since I thought it would be easier to find a fat font insert. Might just have to see if I can get watchparts to lower the shipping price or otherwise get the Cousins insert. Thanks for the help, good to know that I'm not the only one who has fucked up the bleaching process like that!

tdv

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
27/11/18
I fill my Athaya pearls with acrylic paint.

Do you put something in white paint to match the yellowed lume or do you find a paint in the color you need off of the shelf?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Do you put something in white paint to match the yellowed lume or do you find a paint in the color you need off of the shelf?
I always mix a colour to get the required tint. Mainly yellow ochre plus/or Naples yellow with white mixed to lighten it. I've also tried mixing in a little raw sienna or burnt umber if I want to dirty it up a little more.

I've found that (depending on the colour you want) there's a need to go a shade darker than you'd expect to need - because the milky plastic of the pearl tends to make the colour look less saturated and lighter.

Last edited: