• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP, Omega or Rolex Chronograph rep

barra

Horology Curious
1/9/20
Hi all,
Im new to this rep watch thing. I have a couple of reps I picked up in HK a few years ago for a laugh and I have been surprised at how good they are. Ive become attached to a Quartz Speedmaster Racing with Chrono that I use every day multiple times a day for the past 5 years and an Automatic AP 12205ST which is also about 5 years old and gets worn for days at a time. Both hold awesome time and have been trouble-free.

Im worried that when eventually one of them gives up that I wont have a replacement to fill its shoes.

Given I use a chrono daily I would like to pick up one either a Rolex, AP or mega rep with a working and functional chrono. Reading through dozens of reviews here and often getting confused (lol) I see that some reps have Chronos but its not recommended that the feature is used due to movement modifications or whatever. So can anyone point a finger towards any particular models/details that have a fully functional and reliable chrono in the forementioned brands?

I appreciate the effort and information offered here and i can see its going to take me years to sift through it all. lol

Cheers

Barra

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Bottom line, if the movement is an A7750 based one, do not buy anything except a model that has the standard 6-9-12 subdial configuration. Here is an example, the running seconds is the 9 o'clock position.

IMG-20200805-WA0003cce806da94a58886.jpg

Daytona, only the noob Daytona with SA4130. There's also a few models that sport the A7753 movement with subdials at 3-6-9, and the speedmaster reps utilize the venus 78 movement (as do vintage Daytona reps)

Reactions: barra

barra

Horology Curious
1/9/20
Thank you for such a fast reply.
Daytona, only the noob Daytona with SA4130 Check
so 6-9-12 only for A7750. the running seconds is the 9 o'clock position - Check
A7753 movement with subdials at 3-6-9- check
that's the same for the speedmaster that use the venus 78?

cheers

Last edited:

FoxWilde

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/12/18
Thank you for such a fast reply.
Daytona, only the noob Daytona with SA4130 Check
so 6-9-12 only for A7750. the running seconds is the 9 o'clock position - Check
A7753 movement with subdials at 3-6-9- check
that's the same for the speedmaster that use the venus 78?

cheers

Speedmaster and vintage Daytona use the Seagull ST19 typically. Probably the best Chronograph movement for the money. Bulletproof, reliable, and accurate. Was used in a lot of vintage gens like Breitling. However, Daytona’s and speedmasters that use this movement will have subdial spacing issues. This will affect the dial and cause the dial to look very different than gen pieces.

Reactions: barra

barra

Horology Curious
1/9/20
Speedmaster and vintage Daytona use the Seagull ST19 typically. Probably the best Chronograph movement for the money. Bulletproof, reliable, and accurate. Was used in a lot of vintage gens like Breitling. However, Daytona’s and speedmasters that use this movement will have subdial spacing issues. This will affect the dial and cause the dial to look very different than gen pieces.

Thank you Sir,'a long time between your answer and my reply..lol
I am still looking for a rep watch. Life got in the way of everything..

Thanks again