• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariosa
    started a topic Coustoms called, need some advice

Coustoms called, need some advice

Hi.
    I ordered a watch from Intime that is now sent with DHL.
    Today i got called from DHL who called on behalf of Norwegian customs.

They wondered what the package was because the papers from the sender was of " poor quality" and they didnt know what this was. They then wanted me to send them some kind of payment confirmation.

The package havent even left Saudi arabia yet.

Any advice on this one ?

Thanks

• Rol.exe
    replied
    THE FOLLOWING IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE FOR YOU TO RELY ON. IT IS JUST BASED ON MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS AS A FELLOW RWI MEMBER!

I've been looking into this quite a bit as my background is in law and I haven't managed to find any stories about customs in my country. Our IP laws are strict and our border control agencies are thorough.

There is a clear pattern that has emerged with shipping issues with DHL. This appears to be more prevalent in shipments to Europe than the US, and most stories refer to the UAE as the sticking point. DHL are stricter in meeting their requirements with customs agencies. Their demonstrated compliance with this in the case of counterfeit goods keeps audits to a minimum with regulatory agencies, and that means their legit packages breeze through faster. The legit packages make up the overwhelming proportion of their shipments so they will protect that.

Always go back to your TD before taking taking any action. Failure to consult may result in not only seizure of the rep, but also the TD refusing to re-ship. This is because non-action often results in returning the rep to sender, whereas your actions may get the item seized and destroyed. If it is sent back, the TD isn't really out of pocket other than shipping.

You can talk with your TD about steps and make recommendations. The item should not be grossly undervalued. Around $20 for any watch will raise suspicions. Also, don't accept an invoice that says "bracelet" when it is clearly a watch, as that will raise huge red flags. Remember, chances are the package will have been scanned before they make contact and they will have clearly seen a watch.

Additionally, DO NOT FALSIFY DOCUMENTS! Importing a rep for personal use is usually a scoff law ie. They will turn a blind eye to it. In many jurisdictions, customs will notify the intellectual property rights holder and it will be up to them to take action against you through civil litigation. As soon as you make a false customs declaration, you enter a whole new level of criminality and border agencies are far more likely to actively prosecute you.

I prefer EMS. It takes a long time and it isn't as trusted as DHL or FedEx but it appears that there is a higher chance of it getting through. To me, it's better to wait a month to wear my rep than a week to see it seized.

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    Mariosa OP my advice:
    Don’t forge documents. Just show them the bank transfer (if it doesn’t directly state rep). Then they won’t open the package. You’ll just have to pay the customs and it will be cleared.

Otherwise let them send the package back. And get the TD to re-send it to you not using DHL.

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    I’m also from Scandinavia and I’ve experienced similar with DHL. They want receipt and/or payment confirmation before the item arrives as the custom declaration starts before arrival to the country, when the goods are coming from outside EU.

It ends being a 25-30% increase in the cost of the watch.

They normally don’t seize it if you provide documentation. And if you don’t they’ll send it back. Usually.

To lower the paid fee I’ve done this:

Usually I never want to use DHL but if that’s the only option I got the TD to make me an invoice for a lower amount without stating rep in the text. It usually just says watch and some reference number in the item description.

Then I transfer that amount separately and the rest separately. In that way I can show both a receipt of that amount and a payment confirmation on the same amount.

Jungman OP can’t use triangle shipping as he lives in Norway and they are not part of EU.

The point of triangle shipping is to let the package arrive in a EU country where they don’t usually are strict with putting customs on the package (UK, Spain, NL) and then send it on to the next EU country, where customs are strict. In the destination country they’ll not put customs on it as it’s already cleared in the first EU country. Thereby lowering the risk for seizure/paying custom etc to a very minimum.

As Norway is not part of EU they check every package arriving into Norway. Because Norwegians don’t pay VAT when buying things from EU and have to pay Norwegian VAT.

If you live in Norway you’ll have these problems now and then. More pronounced when using DHL because they have more customs personnel and procedures for checking these things in most countries.

Leave a comment:

• Jungman
    replied
    But the watch did not stop in any countries other for change plane or similar. That's strange.
    did you use triangle shipping?

Leave a comment:

• Jungman
    replied
    So I have been there too. I got the watch, but that included a fake invoice for around 100$ and photoshop. It costed me 50€ in tax and some handling fees, but I got the watch as soon as they got what they wanted. In this case some money to the tax office.
    Last edited by Jungman; 15-09-20, 23:16.

Leave a comment:

• spicyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by gilrob View Post
    Go to page 1.

Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• gilrob
    replied
    Originally posted by spicyboy View Post
    Im not seeing the original thread, am I missing something? Granted I just joined these forums like 10 minutes ago...
    Go to page 1.

Leave a comment:

• ra1n
    replied
    Originally posted by jm_brc_7057 View Post

He hasn't written for a while, hope he's not locked up...........
    Lets hope not!

Leave a comment:

• spicyboy
    replied
    Im not seeing the original thread, am I missing something? Granted I just joined these forums like 10 minutes ago...

Leave a comment:

• jm_brc_7057
    replied
    Originally posted by NETGLW View Post
    so, how did this turn out OP? u good?
    He hasn't written for a while, hope he's not locked up...........

Leave a comment:

• NETGLW
    replied
    so, how did this turn out OP? u good?

Leave a comment:

• Sureshot20
    replied
    WatchMeSailor Cheers. Thats pretty amazing actually!

Leave a comment:

• WatchMeSailor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sureshot20 View Post
    Any Aussie peeps have preferences for shipping into Australia? EMS is just soooo sporadic in its consistency.
    HI, I"m Aussie and i had something shipped from china last Monday, it arrived on Friday. IT was shipped EMS

Leave a comment:

• bc1221
    replied
    Originally posted by Glaude View Post

It's a thing very well known by all senior members here, DHL is prone to seizure in almost every part of the world. Some people get away because in regards to the vast amount of packages they deal, seizure are not that common, but if you compare the rate of DHL issues with other shipping services, they are much higher.

Yup. A lot of TDs will not use DHL. I typically order my watches from mary and she will not use DHL for this exact reason. She told me that DHL parcels get seized a lot more than any other shipping agencies.

She uses another service that costs a bit but will get it to you in about 2 weeks. Never had any issues with whatever shipping agency they use. I forgot the bane but it’s some new agency according to her.

As for the customs issue. I would definitely say that I don’t know what it is and I did not order anything from China. If you sent them the invoice, you’re pretty much SOL. you can say you bought what you thought was an homage watch and you didn’t know it was a fake Rolex or whatever.

Good luck man. I would not admit to anything that has anything to do with fakes or reps. I would just say I have no idea what you’re talking about or if you sent them the invoice, say you bought a homage piece or in this case, you bought a sterile bracelet and you don’t know what anything about the watch. Customs most likely have already opened it, knows what it is and is basically trying to get you to admit to importing counterfeit goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X