• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Coustoms called, need some advice

Rol.exe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/20
New Zealand
THE FOLLOWING IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE FOR YOU TO RELY ON. IT IS JUST BASED ON MY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS AND OPINIONS AS A FELLOW RWI MEMBER!

I've been looking into this quite a bit as my background is in law and I haven't managed to find any stories about customs in my country. Our IP laws are strict and our border control agencies are thorough.

There is a clear pattern that has emerged with shipping issues with DHL. This appears to be more prevalent in shipments to Europe than the US, and most stories refer to the UAE as the sticking point. DHL are stricter in meeting their requirements with customs agencies. Their demonstrated compliance with this in the case of counterfeit goods keeps audits to a minimum with regulatory agencies, and that means their legit packages breeze through faster. The legit packages make up the overwhelming proportion of their shipments so they will protect that.

Always go back to your TD before taking taking any action. Failure to consult may result in not only seizure of the rep, but also the TD refusing to re-ship. This is because non-action often results in returning the rep to sender, whereas your actions may get the item seized and destroyed. If it is sent back, the TD isn't really out of pocket other than shipping.

You can talk with your TD about steps and make recommendations. The item should not be grossly undervalued. Around $20 for any watch will raise suspicions. Also, don't accept an invoice that says "bracelet" when it is clearly a watch, as that will raise huge red flags. Remember, chances are the package will have been scanned before they make contact and they will have clearly seen a watch.

Additionally, DO NOT FALSIFY DOCUMENTS! Importing a rep for personal use is usually a scoff law ie. They will turn a blind eye to it. In many jurisdictions, customs will notify the intellectual property rights holder and it will be up to them to take action against you through civil litigation. As soon as you make a false customs declaration, you enter a whole new level of criminality and border agencies are far more likely to actively prosecute you.

I prefer EMS. It takes a long time and it isn't as trusted as DHL or FedEx but it appears that there is a higher chance of it getting through. To me, it's better to wait a month to wear my rep than a week to see it seized.

Mariosa

Horology Curious
13/8/20
Hi again!
I just had to get a break while dealing with it, i got kinda nervous reading all of the toughts arround it..

So DHL did countinue to ask for a recipt or invoice for like 30 days, and i said that i did not get any. They sent it back to the sender after aprox 30 days, and the watch got destroid in dubai customs.
BUT the seller didnt hesitate to send me a new watch if i paid 50US for new shippment, airmail this time, not DHL. This went trough without any problems and im sitting here right now with my new watch :)

So...
I will never buy a watch that is sent with DHL ever again.. alot of hassel and worries. but the seller from "intimewatch" is just super, thats some service right there! I honestly tought i would never see that watch after DHL started their things.

Thanks for all the advices!