• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What re the differences between these 2 watches?

trogoy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/7/17
I am not sure if I am allowed to post direct links to the TD website?

What are the differences between these watches?
Is the $190 price difference worth paying the extra?
Which factories make each watch?
Is there a better watch from any factory than either of these versions with the blue dial?

Anyway they are both for sale on PT. Details are below. It is the blue dial version I am after.
Watch1:
GMT Master II 116719 BLRO Real Ceramic 904L SS GMF 1:1 Best Edition Blue Dial on Bracelet A3186 (Correct Hand Stack)
$458.00
40mm x 12.5mm
Asian 2836 automatic movement at 28800vph
Hours, minutes, seconds, GMT and date display
Solid 316L stainless steel case
Scratch-proof sapphire crystal
Blue dial
Red/blue ceramic bezel
Stainless steel bracelet
Deployant clasp

Watch2:
GMT Master II 126719 BLRO Red/Blue Ceramic 316L Steel GMF 1:1 Best Edition Blue Dial on SS Bracelet SA3186 V2
$268.00
40mm x 12.5mm
Asian 2836 automatic movement at 28800vph
Hours, minutes, seconds, GMT and date display
Solid 316L stainless steel case
Scratch-proof sapphire crystal
Blue dial
Red/blue ceramic bezel
Stainless steel bracelet
Deployant clasp

I look forward to your answers.

Sorry if this an annoying series of questions. I have always enjoyed watches but am not an expert.

Last edited:

reqfed

Horology Curious
20/7/20
The factory is GMF for both. The more expensive one uses 904l steel, which is a little softer than 316l and more robust against corrosion. Some people think that both steels look the same, and some think that the 904 shines more when polished. Rolex uses the 904l for their sport watches.

BUT, as far as I know the gen blue dial gmt is made from white gold so both steels are the wrong material.

I would choose the cheaper one but watch out for the movement as well. I think that this is the timebomb movement that may break easily and cannot be repaired easily. A2836 is more robust but has the wrong hand stack, i.e. the order of the hands is not as the gen. There are clone movements that are better but more expensive.

Hope that helps.

rveronico

Looking Around
23/7/20
hello can you let me know where did you find this watches with blue dial please?

trogoy

16/7/17
The factory is GMF for both. The more expensive one uses 904l steel, which is a little softer than 316l and more robust against corrosion. Some people think that both steels look the same, and some think that the 904 shines more when polished. Rolex uses the 904l for their sport watches.

BUT, as far as I know the gen blue dial gmt is made from white gold so both steels are the wrong material.

I would choose the cheaper one but watch out for the movement as well. I think that this is the timebomb movement that may break easily and cannot be repaired easily. A2836 is more robust but has the wrong hand stack, i.e. the order of the hands is not as the gen. There are clone movements that are better but more expensive.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the detailed response. You were much more helpful than PT who said the difference was one had a jubilee bracelet, the other oyster.

Last edited:

trogoy

16/7/17

Hope that helps.

But the A2836 says in the title it has the "correct handstack"

Jaguat1289

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
22/5/20
Somewhere in Italy
The movements in the titles are different from the ones in the description... Anyway 2836 is not CHS and should be safer than the others.. The price difference as far as I understand Is related to 904 vs 316..

​​

trogoy

16/7/17
The movements in the titles are different from the ones in the description... Anyway 2836 is not CHS and should be safer than the others.. The price difference as far as I understand Is related to 904 vs 316..

​​

CHS? Corect hand stack?

Last edited:

OldNavitimer

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
22/1/19

​​

Sorry but you are incorrect. The CHS “timebomb” movement is a 2836 base. And it is most certainly correct hand stack. Here is the exact watch:

xBIgo.jpg

It’s not bad as far as a cheap GMT goes. The blue dial is a bit different than the usual black and the bracelet is decent quality. Overall it’s a good value but be prepared for that movement to fail. Follow KJ2020 for expert GMT advice and information.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The ETA CHS timebomb is actually a 2824 base. It's been modified in several ways, and comes in a 2836 case which leads to a lot of confusion. The PT ad that lists the movement as a 2836 is wrong.

GMT Movements Explained

Many TD web ads are misleading or wrong regarding the GMT movements. They get a fake engraving of 3186 or 3285 so that's what they call the movement. We have to learn how to ID the movement by recognizing its characteristics and observing the handstack.

Here are the blue dial GMTs on Trusty.

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?m...iption=1&keyword=Rolgmt+116719+blue&x=31&y=17

trogoy

16/7/17
Sorry but you are incorrect. The CHS “timebomb” movement is a 2836 base. And it is most certainly correct hand stack. Here is the exact watch:

xBIgo.jpg

It’s not bad as far as a cheap GMT goes. The blue dial is a bit different than the usual black and the bracelet is decent quality. Overall it’s a good value but be prepared for that movement to fail. Follow KJ2020 for expert GMT advice and information.

Thanks for the cracking photo. So did the movement fail on yours? Would you recommend purchasing one? If so which one would you purchase from what's out there today? is yours the $250 watch or the $450?