• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Switching TD order from one watch model to another after bad QC

Genta-leman

Horology Curious
6/7/19
Hi All,

Noob question. I read through some different people's experiences in the QC process and I was wondering if you end up RLing a watch (for good reasons) once or twice, is it reasonable to ask your TD to switch your order to a different watch model? i.e RL Omega A and then ask TD to change order to Rolex B. I understand in this situation there may very well be a price difference between watch models, more asking if this is unreasonable / frowned upon?

Thanks

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
I did that a few weeks ago. I wanted to get a AP 15703 with the updated inner bezel, also told that my TD, but the two watches I got for QC didn't have that yet and there were also some other flaws. I asked my TD then if it would be possible to change to a Daytona, and it was no problem. I did the extra payment and everything was fine. But I would not do that on every watch or your first order. When you have a good relationship to a TD, they will probably allow more flexibility. But I would also fully understand it if such a change would not be possible as it's not like ordering something on Amazon.
And I would also not expect to get any money back if you decide to go for a cheaper model.

Reactions: Genta-leman

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
RL ?

you from reddit ?

V4aQ1b.gif

Genta-leman

Horology Curious
6/7/19
I did that a few weeks ago. I wanted to get a AP 15703 with the updated inner bezel, also told that my TD, but the two watches I got for QC didn't have that yet and there were also some other flaws. I asked my TD then if it would be possible to change to a Daytona, and it was no problem. I did the extra payment and everything was fine. But I would not do that on every watch or your first order. When you have a good relationship to a TD, they will probably allow more flexibility. But I would also fully understand it if such a change would not be possible as it's not like ordering something on Amazon.
And I would also not expect to get any money back if you decide to go for a cheaper model.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice!

Genta-leman

Horology Curious
6/7/19
Oops also just learned that my phone keyboard emojis don't work here lol. First group of question marks is :D and second group is ;)

Last edited:

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
???????????? Yes of course that is lingo I picked up on Reddit, guilty as charged. I believe in gathering info from as many sources as possible when when learning something new ????

Thats great, and always the best option. You'll find that Reddit is a joke around these parts, and members of r/Reptime are in the minor leagues. "RL", "GL", "LC"....those are terms you won't see around here.

Anyway, unless your TD states otherwise, you should be okay switching out your order for another brand/factory. I wouldn't do it for every order in the future though, as it's always best to build a good relationship with your dealer.

Genta-leman

Horology Curious
6/7/19
Thats great, and always the best option. You'll find that Reddit is a joke around these parts, and members of r/Reptime are in the minor leagues. "RL", "GL", "LC"....those are terms you won't see around here.

Anyway, unless your TD states otherwise, you should be okay switching out your order for another brand/factory. I wouldn't do it for every order in the future though, as it's always best to build a good relationship with your dealer.

Good to know, I think I'm ready to move up to the majors :cool:

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Shouldn't be a major issue as the TD anyway has to order each specimen anew from the factory.

Tribefan

15/11/19
Some won't do it once they have your watch for QC. They can exchange it to the factory for a like model, but won't change the model once they've bought it from the factory.

andrespaisa

Horology Curious
17/5/20
Some won't do it once they have your watch for QC. They can exchange it to the factory for a like model, but won't change the model once they've bought it from the factory.

Totally agree, don't expect the TD to give you a different model.

Picksk

18/6/20
Depends on your relationship with the TD and also the flexibility of the TD, but y4s, if do go for a cheaper model, I wouldn’t really money to be refunded though definitely ask, doesn’t hurt to ask.

WatchMeSailor

Known Member
22/8/20
Down Under
I can't give any guidance as to what a TD will accept. Having said this if you are not happy with the QC pics due to a well known issue with the specific release, then they probably wouldn't be too impressed. I'd be sure to do your research on the common issues to do with the release and be willing to accept these if they occur, then focus your 'OCD' ;) on other areas.

Last edited: