• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Movement question

Elitek9

Horology Curious
17/9/14
I am a self admitted noob and brand new to replicas. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with. I am looking at two submariners. The 1st is a VRF with the Asian super 3135 movement. The second is the ARF with the A2824 movement. I would like to purchase the watch with the Asian super 3135, but have done research that may suggest that the movement may be unreliable. Here are my questions: Are the majority of 3135 movements bad out of the box? What would servicing that movement cost ballpark?, if I could find someone who would be willing to work on the watch. Am I better off just going with the A2824? Hope this makes some type of sense. I have been doing research for three straight days and my head is spinning lol. Thanks in advance for any advice I may recieve.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
1. Movement service will cost $150-$200, plus the SA /VRF superclones each have recommended genuine parts to be swapped in to improve reliability.
2. The superclone movements all need a service to clean them up. Some run better than others. They are less reliable than the 2824 and more expensive to fix.
3. There's a watchsmith section so you can look for someone in your region.

Unless you are planning to build a franken with genuine dial, hands or datewheel, get the 2824.

Reactions: Elitek9

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Unless you are planning to build a franken with genuine dial, hands or datewheel, get the 2824.

I also think this is the best advice, especially for someone new. Just buy the one with the 2824 in it. At this point you won't be able to tell anyway. If you get super into modding watches and you just have to have the other one then just sell this one and get one of the others. There is a very active m2m sales area right here on RWI and you won't lose much anyway. In addition to that just about any watchsmith can service the ETA 2824 and it will cost you a whole lot less. Odds of it needing a service are much less too. With any luck at all you will get a couple years out of it before it needs a service and by that time you will ether know a lot more about watches or you will know a lot more about yourself and whether or not you care.