• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Canadian Customs

reprep2019

Horology Curious
23/3/19
I'm a new member who is considering getting a AP rep from one of the TDs. This forum has been great to read up on things.

I've looked through the search bar for Canadian Customs related issues and I can't really identify many.

In the rare case a seizure is made or customs asks for a duty fee on the import, can you just forfeit the rep with no further consequences?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Importing reps into Canada for personal use is rarely if ever an issue. If it gets sized just do nothing, when the letter arrives copy it and email the dealer.

GregB

Known Member
25/1/20
Canada, eh!
I've looked through the search bar for Canadian Customs related issues and I can't really identify many.

An Internet search found this related article from the CBC dated March 2018. Canadian law prohibits importing counterfeit goods and "requires brand owners to file lawsuits even in uncontested seizures — a process that can be expensive". The article also says that brand owners "need to file paperwork known as an RFA, or request for assistance. But goods must be released within three days, and the RFA filing process takes between four and six weeks."

Hope this sheds some light on your buying decisions!

immortalchef

10/3/19
Ontario, Canada
I’ve never had any of my reps seized by customs. Out of my 10 purchases only one was opened by customs, it had the yellow ‘opened by CBSA’ sticker on the package when I got it. Someone saw my ARF Rolex and declared $20, didn’t care and let it through. The package showed up at my doorstep no problem :rofl:

reprep2019

Horology Curious
23/3/19
Thank you all for the replies. Seems like the process is in favour of importers (us) and against brand owners (AP, Rolex etc).

andrespaisa

Horology Curious
17/5/20
I live in Canada and have received all my watches without any issues. Just pay for customs promptly while your watch is on route to avoid any delays.