• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Weight and other measures

lof

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Taxe Free Country
I read lot of threads to understand the process before to buy my first Rep.
I searched on the forum with the tag #weight, some posts concerning that, but I foudn only some posts speaking about Factory etc....

My question is, when you receive your QCs by email, you can see only the details of the rep, but how can I do about the weight of my order ? If the QCs are good but the weight is ridiculous for example ? How can I do ?

Concerning the measurements of the rep, the dealer give you some details about the thickness, height, width or nothing ? How can be sure that the measurements are approximately the same of the Gen ?

I just want to be sure to have all informations before my first order.

Thanks in advance for your help.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I just do a google search on what the gen weight/size is. type in the model number and "mm" or "grams" into google.

I would say generally the case diameter will always be very similar, sometimes the rep thickness will be up to 2mm thicker. So go to puretime, look up the rep and look at what they have written for thickness.
the weight of Steel is the same whether it is from china or mars. so give or take 10grams it should be close. The type of strap will change the weight a bit as well. a 100g watch will be different than 150g that will be different than 200g. 10g won't make a big difference. The way the case hugs your wrist also will play a part.

Reactions: lof

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My question is, when you receive your QCs by email, you can see only the details of the rep, but how can I do about the weight of my order ? If the QCs are good but the weight is ridiculous for example ? How can I do ?

Concerning the measurements of the rep, the dealer give you some details about the thickness, height, width or nothing ? How can be sure that the measurements are approximately the same of the Gen ?

The factory doesn’t individually forge and hand-beat a watch from an ingot of steel each time someone makes an order. The parts are mass-produced, therefore your watch will be the same weight and size as everyone else’s. Nor are the watches prone to shrinkage.

You should do your research before you buy, to establish how accurately the rep model you’re buying mimics the real thing. You can then safely assume that the watch you get will match the size and weight your research has established it should be.

lof

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Taxe Free Country
I agree with you p0pperini, but as I have no experience, it's complicate for me to have a real idea. For example on 1 AP R/oaks where the gen thickness is 11 and rep between 14 or 15 if it will be shocking for me at the arrival or not. I try to find a model of rep and be happy with. I don't want to feel disgusting with my first experience, that why I try to understand all the basics, but it's not easy.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I try to find a model of rep and be happy with.
Well that's why I suggest you do your research before you order. If you can't find the information on the TD website descriptions or from searching the forums, then post a specific question about the specific watch you're interested in - and someone will give you the answer (although don't take any notice of Yellowfin's replies, because he keeps being sent cigars instead of the watch he ordered).

The QC pics and info you receive are supplied so you can confirm the watch you're being sent is the same model you ordered, and so you can check that there are no major issues with the watch.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I agree with you p0pperini, but as I have no experience, it's complicate for me to have a real idea. For example on 1 AP R/oaks where the gen thickness is 11 and rep between 14 or 15 if it will be shocking for me at the arrival or not. I try to find a model of rep and be happy with. I don't want to feel disgusting with my first experience, that why I try to understand all the basics, but it's not easy.

You should link to the watch you are talking about. There are excellent reps of AP Royal Oak where it is the correct thickness

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think

The weight of the rep is usually very close to the weight of the real thing, mainly because they are usually made with the same materials, sometimes they could weight a couple grams more or less depending on the movement and so the amount of material removed / added to the case in order to fit that specific movement. But weight is not a problem, NO ONE can see that a watch is a rep from his weight, especially if you aren't keeping the gen in your other hand.

Regarding thickness and sizes, you can go and check the TD's websites, and they will be reported there. Confront them with their gen counterpart and see if it's good for you.

lof

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Taxe Free Country
You should link to the watch you are talking about. There are excellent reps of AP Royal Oak where it is the correct thickness

I'm interested by this one https://www.watchfinder.com/Audemars%20Piguet/Royal%20Oak/26331ST.OO.1220ST.02/34025/item/148632, or This one https://www.watchfinder.com/find/Audemars%20Piguet/Royal%20Oak/26331ST.OO.1220ST.03/34024
If you have an advise about where I can find one of them with nice specs, don't hesitate to let me know here or by PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Thank you all for your help and your information about my weight worries :thanks:

Last edited:

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I'm interested by this one https://www.watchfinder.com/Audemars%20Piguet/Royal%20Oak/26331ST.OO.1220ST.02/34025/item/148632, or This one https://www.watchfinder.com/find/Audemars%20Piguet/Royal%20Oak/26331ST.OO.1220ST.03/34024
If you have an advise about where I can find one of them with nice specs, don't hesitate to let me know here or by PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Thank you all for your help and your information about my weight worries :thanks:

I suggest not to get those 2, sadly AP chronographs are not well replicated, they either mount a 7750 which makes them thick AF, or some kind of hybrid movement. If thickness or whatever is important for you i'd suggest you going for something better replicated like a 15202 or a 15400

lof

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Taxe Free Country
I suggest not to get those 2, sadly AP chronographs are not well replicated, they either mount a 7750 which makes them thick AF, or some kind of hybrid movement. If thickness or whatever is important for you i'd suggest you going for something better replicated like a 15202 or a 15400

Thank you for your advise. If you have any recommendation about nice AP rep Td's website, don't hesitate. ;)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thank you for your advise. If you have any recommendation about nice AP rep Td's website, don't hesitate. ;)

Well, you could try selecting the Trusted Dealers tab that appears at the top of EVERY PAGE ON THE FORUM. They can pretty much all supply any rep that's available.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I'm interested by this one ..........:

Here is the deal.......
Currently there isn't a chronograph automatic movement that is available to the rep makers that is thin enough to make a thin chrono watch. With that said there are no great Reps of any chrono Gens that are thinish with one exception and that is the Noob Rolex Daytona with the clone 4130 movement. My definition of thin for a chrono would be 13mm or less.

I am sure that at some point in the future one of the rep makers will invest in developing a chronograph movement that is suitable for thinner watches, but we just don't have that right now. Apparently it is very expensive to develop a movement, so don't hold your breath.....

My advice:
Unless you like the Rolex Daytona, or thicker chronos skip Chronograph watches all together. There are a lot of really great reps so why bother with the ones that are not.

There is another reason to pass on the AP Chronos and that is because the gen is a min of like $30,000. I can pull off a 5k watch, but no one that knows both watches and me is going to believe I spent 30k on a watch so I stay away from 30k watches

Reactions: loewenzahn

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
There is another reason to pass on the AP Chronos and that is because the gen is a min of like $30,000. I can pull off a 5k watch, but no one that knows both watches and me is going to believe I spent 30k on a watch so I stay away from 30k watches
This is fundamental, OP should really pay attention to that.

I always say it, it's even in the signature of my posts, "you are the biggest tell in a rep". No one cares if your bezel is misaligned, if you are a brick layer and you are rocking a full gold daytona people are gonna believe it's fake right away, but if you work at wall street and you wear a beach quality gold patek, people are gonna assume it's real

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
.......... "you are the biggest tell in a rep". No one cares if your bezel is misaligned, if you are a brick layer and you are rocking a full gold daytona people are gonna believe it's fake right away, but if you work at wall street and you wear a beach quality gold patek, people are gonna assume it's real

exactly

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Lots of good advice here OP

I’m obviously into APs and I don’t see a lot of people here asking about or wearing royal oak chronos

these two recommendations above are really good, very popular and there is enough info in the AP section on both it will make your head spin.
I would say they are also both likely in your weight range in not being too thick or bulky.

“15202 or a 15400”

Reactions: Mille Voci

lof

Horology Curious
6/7/20
Taxe Free Country
Thank you all for you advise. I really appreciate.
As I explained, my goal is not to have absolutely a 30k rep or more.
I just want to have a nice watch and be happy with.
I checked lot of Td"s website and they have all similar models with same specs. I know that I will find a good deal with one of them.

I just want to have a good experience, have one model strong, reliable and look nice. I will be very disgusted if my first deal should be a pieces of cakes if you know what I mean.
I like chrono watch like AP R/oaks, but I understand also that is not the best rep.
I think to start by one Rolex now. There is several beautifull reps. I just need to decide which one.

Cheers !

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Thank you all for you advise. I really appreciate.
As I explained, my goal is not to have absolutely a 30k rep or more.
I just want to have a nice watch and be happy with.
I checked lot of Td"s website and they have all similar models with same specs. I know that I will find a good deal with one of them.

I just want to have a good experience, have one model strong, reliable and look nice. I will be very disgusted if my first deal should be a pieces of cakes if you know what I mean.
I like chrono watch like AP R/oaks, but I understand also that is not the best rep.
I think to start by one Rolex now. There is several beautifull reps. I just need to decide which one.

Cheers !

if you want a chrono and still want to stay on the 30k range, you could get a 116519 which is the best daytona made by noob, very nice ootb and the best rep dial for that model.
Or you could go for a nice 116500 either black or white