• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Please help our friend here to not get called out wearing a Rolex replica by "rolex fakebusters"

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
The reality is, he may have a lot of money in his country....but in the world of fashion....hes poor and can't afford a gen Rolex. He prob lives in his moms basement and the "friends" he talks about....his Barbie collection....dude, just buy a Casio and be done with it..or even better...a sundial...its in your price range (free)

Lol

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I looked at seiko watches already, but it is just that I have a thing for rolex. I like AP, and Patek as well, but that indeed would not unrealistic spending 80.000$ on Patek watch example
Rolex Sub, Daytona, GMT master etc. would fit me perfectly, and I like the design a lot I just want one which is very very hard to be called on. I am well aware that rep is perfect compared to retail, but I do know there is very good replicas out there. I been looking on the ZZF v2 REF 114060 on this subreddit (https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...393323-zzf-ref-114060-v2-vs-gen-honset-review) and consider this.
What's wrong with saying this?

Just say "I am currently young and currently do not have this much money to invest in a watch but I like it and think it suits me so this serves me well".

No one can really say anything negative about that.

What are they going to do? Make fun of you for not being able to afford a $10k watch?

That would make them look cheap and petty and childish and entitled.

Or... Go buy an air king. They're what? $5700? Or you can get some nice oyster perpetuals for $3 to 4k.

I bought my first Rolex at 19 and I think it cost me 3 grand. Maybe $3200. I wore it for 14 years (rotating others in there on occasion) before I could buy a different/2nd Rolex.

Or, buy a Tag Heuer Aquaracer. I just sold a beautiful wan2110 for about $1100.

Read about watches and the more you learn, the more you'll come to appreciate other brands that don't and styles that are your own.

However, based on the brands you mention, I am guessing it is not about finding a good style that represents your own tastes. Because the way you throw around designer label names suggests you dress based on brand. Not style.

But I'm sorry, if you can afford $400 to $700 on a belt of $600 on a tee short but can't afford to spend $10000 on a Rolex, your priorities are fv¢ked imo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hazing

9/5/19
So you don’t really care what model of Rolex you wear? You just want th most accurate Rolex? What if you don’t like the model?
It's not the model. It's the brand.

Similar to Gucci, LV, Valentino and so on.

Hazing

9/5/19
I Understand you Indonesian,i also know a friend made a lot on his hulk ,and batman when they suddenly increased.
1. one of the other following reasons is I have been robbed before, and I rather want to lose 500$ then 10.000$,
2. I do still care if the watch get scratches of course, but it will not hurt as much, as if it were a gen.
3. I know It can't be the exact same, I just don't want anything obviously to spot when someone wearing the same watch as me.
Didn't you say you own a business?

If you're a business owner surely you. Know how insurance works. If you buy a real Rolex you can easily insure it and simply add it to your existing insurance policy. And if you get robbed you still only lose the same $500 but for a deductible.

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Damn....flame free zone so I have to be good. Go to the NWBIG section and read up on the watches and flaws. Your best bet is avoid brands that they would own or see often (Rolex, AP, patek). Look towards the superreps in brands like Omega, breitling, Tudor, and IWC. Those are more likely to be passed over and there's a number of models which would be very difficult to call out without taking pictures and viewing macros side by side with the genuine. I know it's a step down in the genuine cost department, but much safer for your stated issues. Other option as said, just buy a less expensive genuine. The grand Seiko is a phenomenal piece. You can get a used Omega speedmaster professional for around $3500. A number of breitling and Tudor can be had for under$4k used (and some new).

Here's an example from the NWBIG list. There was a period where I owned both a genuine and replica Tudor Pelagos (I've since sold the replica). Can you tell which is the replica? Zoom out and look from half an arms length away. What can you see?

IMG_20180902_095408cc58d167bfb5a273.jpg

IMG_20180902_09462468325ec9e7ae55bf.jpg

IMG_20180902_09541375bd8ee3a48201de.jpg

IMG_20180902_10001435086f2fdff90b78.jpg

an eagle eye could see the pinion on the left one :hehehe: :eek::eek:

Reactions: r0b9502

HappyTimes

Horology Curious
6/7/20
I second the idea to buy a Grand Seiko. I've owned a couple and they are far superior to anything in their price range. It oozes class and individual identity. The dials are out of this world. To watch enthusiasts, it tells them that you have refined taste. If GS is beyond your budget, a used Royal Orient is also excellent. How about a used Credor?

If you must buy a Rolex because of the coronet and brand, then in your situation: do not buy a Submariner. It is the single most scrutinized watch on the planet. Thanks to social media and YouTube, every person all of a sudden think they're a Submariner expert and will pick apart your watch. Even if it is real.

Which brings me to the next point. You don't come across as a very confident person. Sorry. Until you adopt a more confident mindset, any watch you wear will likely be assumed fake by others. Even if it is real.

I live in New York City and many people I know will buy Rolex as a starter watch or beater watch to do yard work. Sounds absurd but it is the norm. Age and experience has taught me that people who are truly wealthy don't assume your things are fake. To them, being able to afford one Rolex or ten is normal, a basic necessity. They don't question it. They don't care to question it. It is always the POOR people who will ask "Is it real????" I have friends in Rolex ADs around the city who tell me customers who come in to ask "How much?" usually end up buying nothing. Then there are customers who in and ask "How many do you have?" and leave with a dozen watches. When you work in that business for a while, you quickly learn which customers will buy. Hint: It is not the bloke walking in dressed from head to toe in branded logos.

This leads me to suspect your circle of friends. Maybe they're not wealthy. Maybe their watches are fake. Have you ever taken an up-close look? The fact that you say they might question your watch's authenticity lead me to suspect that they may not be able to afford it themselves.

Edit: A Girard Perregaux is steps above Rolex on the horology ladder and costs half the price. Beautifully finished in-house movements. Rolex owners can never claim their piece to be "high horology".

Last edited:

jk1846

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/12/19
To OP, man damn, if you want a rep Rolex buy the damn watch you want, I have owned one Gen Rolex yacht master in my life and I will not buy a gen again, the 2 rep yacht masters and the one submariner i have are totally fine with me, can I buy a gen Rolex yes I can buy a lot of things, I actually enjoy my reps more than I did my gen and I have never had one person ask me if it’s a rep or a gen and I wear the submariner everyday, hell I drive a new F250 diesel and if I could buy one of those in a rep model for a fraction of the price I would be happy as hell, I have never asked anyone if their watch is real or not and I doubt you would be asked either, maybe I am just weird but I could careless whether someone is wearing a 6 dollar watch or a 60 thousand dollar watch, I like the look of Rolex yacht masters and I like my zzf submariner and that’s why I buy them, if I come across another manufacturer that has a watch I like I may buy one of theirs someday, be you and don’t worry so much about what other people think I can promise you that they don’t worry about you think of them all that much either, be you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Xky and Ecender

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
To OP, man damn, if you want a rep Rolex buy the damn watch you want, I have owned one Gen Rolex yacht master in my life and I will not buy a gen again, the 2 rep yacht masters and the one submariner i have are totally fine with me, can I buy a gen Rolex yes I can buy a lot of things, I actually enjoy my reps more than I did my gen and I have never had one person ask me if it’s a rep or a gen and I wear the submariner everyday, hell I drive a new F250 diesel and if I could buy one of those in a rep model for a fraction of the price I would be happy as hell, I have never asked anyone if their watch is real or not and I doubt you would be asked either, maybe I am just weird but I could careless whether someone is wearing a 6 dollar watch or a 60 thousand dollar watch, I like the look of Rolex yacht masters and I like my zzf submariner and that’s why I buy them, if I come across another manufacturer that has a watch I like I may buy one of theirs someday, be you and don’t worry so much about what other people think I can promise you that they don’t worry about you think of them all that much either, be you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said. Buy the damn watch. If your mates call you out, they are watch nerds, perhaps you found something in common. Fess up on the rep, wax lyrical about how far the rep world has come, and move on. If they don't (smart money will be here), they are in it for the brand recognition and won't know a pinion from a pan, much less your bezel from brylcreem. That last one is for my other more experienced friends on the forum, look it up.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Here's an example from the NWBIG list. There was a period where I owned both a genuine and replica Tudor Pelagos (I've since sold the replica). Can you tell which is the replica? Zoom out and look from half an arms length away. What can you see?

Rep is XF/VS I assume?

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
Well there are no perfect reps, if it is is called a gen and gen has its flaws. It seems your customers are relatively young, I trust your are flipping Supreme, Dior, OW, etc? If so your customer wouldn't know vintage. Get a modder to build you 6538 with a proper gilt dial, most people in general can't tell if it's a gen or not and you can say you inherited from your father and is a James Bond watch. It will be harder to be called out when the watch is vintage and people should have the decency not to enquire further as is your father's. I doubt an average person in their 20s who are into modern watches knows the font of the insert should be a certain style or the font position on Submariner should be in a particular position under the 200m.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

wAterHead

Horology Curious
20/3/20
I been looking on the ZZF v2 REF 114060 on this subreddit (https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-honset-review) and consider this.
I found my ZZF in the mail a few days ago. It was a surprise because I had moved on. A very nice watch, which I recommend. I don't get the being grilled by friends thing. I would consider it hounding, which wouldn't be done by a friend. Life is too short to be grilled by nobodies.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I found my ZZF in the mail a few days ago. It was a surprise because I had moved on. A very nice watch, which I recommend. I don't get the being grilled by friends thing. I would consider it hounding, which wouldn't be done by a friend. Life is too short to be grilled by nobodies.

Yes the ZZF no date is very good and gen like OTB if you get a good QC. It's a matter of time till they run out of the current bad X batch no date dials and it will be fixed like it's on LN date and LV. Then swap all parts to Noob 2836 case and it should fix the rehaut / CG issues as well and you're good to go for some fake busting. As they offer it only with ETA clones means if you wan't to build on 3135 you're gonna need a gen dial.

Reactions: wAterHead