• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dealing with misaligned hands

new-to-the-game

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/5/20
Hello all, I purchased a BP Rolex Explorer 1 from a TD and after 2 weeks, the hands misaligned. The hour hand hits the hour about 20 minutes late.

Can correct this myself?

I emailed the TD with a video and they told me to deal with it myself. Was it just bad luck and this normal practice for a TD? Or would they usually try help solve the situation?

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Sometimes these come like that from the factory. You’re better off doing it yourself or paying someone to do it for you; it’s an easy fix if you know what you are doing. Unless there is something wrong with the movement, since this occurred 2 weeks after you got your watch, then a professional watchsmith should look at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
If you haven't done this sort of thing before yourself, and you haven't got a cheap watch to practice on, I'd recommend sending or taking it to a watchsmith to fix. Removing and setting the hands is a reasonably fiddly job, so unless you fancy chancing it, you'd be better off leaving it in experienced hands.

If you intend to buy from the TD again, then you should ask them to offer you compensation for having to get this work done, in the form of a $$ credit on your next purchase. Their profit margins are pretty good (hey - if the watch had been seized by customs, they'd have sent you a replacement free!), so they should be pretty amenable to the request. As an example, when my Daytona movement crapped out soon after arrival, the TD offered $50 off my next watch (that was last year, and I just cashed the offer in when ordering a ZZF Sub).

new-to-the-game

8/5/20
Sometimes these come like that from the factory. You’re better off doing it yourself or paying someone to do it for you; it’s an easy fix if you know what you are doing. Unless there is something wrong with the movement, since this occurred 2 weeks after you got your watch, then a professional watchsmith should look at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I purchased a nice tool set so that I can start learning on some cheaper watches, but ill get this one fixed by a proper watchmaker. Thanks for the response :)

new-to-the-game

8/5/20
If you haven't done this sort of thing before yourself, and you haven't got a cheap watch to practice on, I'd recommend sending or taking it to a watchsmith to fix. Removing and setting the hands is a reasonably fiddly job, so unless you fancy chancing it, you'd be better off leaving it in experienced hands.

If you intend to buy from the TD again, then you should ask them to offer you compensation for having to get this work done, in the form of a $$ credit on your next purchase. Their profit margins are pretty good (hey - if the watch had been seized by customs, they'd have sent you a replacement free!), so they should be pretty amenable to the request. As an example, when my Daytona movement crapped out soon after arrival, the TD offered $50 off my next watch (that was last year, and I just cashed the offer in when ordering a ZZF Sub).

Thanks for the feedback and ill heed your advice on both fronts. Was loving it before it went wonky so I dont want to mess it up. I dont mind a good haggle as well, so ill push the TD to see what I can get ... if I warm up to using them again. I found a wechat dealer i've been getting some good results from.

new-to-the-game

8/5/20
Hey mate, how’d you go with the repair? Also what are your overall thoughts on the BP Explorer. Any pics?? :rolleyes:

thanks in advance!
j

I really liked it. Such a versatile piece and was nice and slim. Just a disappointment that the hands were misaligned.

new-to-the-game

8/5/20

The BP explorer is nice to wear and the movement is quiet. Im also enjoying the Sub a lot, and got it for about 40% cheaper, so im loving that.

I didnt think id be such a rolex fanboy, but loving them. I like this GMT as well. Nice and scratch resistant but the movement is pretty loud. So im going to get the watch repairer to quieten the GMT and AP and then adjust the explorer's hands. Might even get the explorer fully serviced.